close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

free personal firewall?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Packin' Heat, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Packin' Heat

Packin' Heat

any recomendations on a free personal fire wall?

whats a good firewall for some money?

I did a symantec test on a computer and the sucker has more holes than a colander.

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Get a hardware firewall. A software firewall is nice, but in my opinion, should be ran in addition to a good hardware firewall. Frankly, I've used a Hardware firewall for a wihle, and have never gotten any of the silliness I read about in PC forums. A Good Router/Firewall with Stateful Packet Inspection is the way to go.

They are easy to set up in about 10min. Then log in to the router and check whatever settings you want to personalize. Also make sure you keep the firmware up to date.

You don't say wether you're wireless/wired, but I've had the one below aobut 2yrs, and its fine. I don't particularly trust or use wirelss, so I dont' have a recommendation for wireless.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1527514&sku=N100-2044

IGF

4. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

+1 for Zonealarm....used it for many years without a hitch :)

5. Packin' Heat

Packin' Heat

I personally run though a wired router but my GF is on a crackpot wired network where she lives that is so crappy and illogical that I cant belive it even works. Since she cant change the hardware my only solution was a software firewall.

I use a netgear router after my cable modem and have never had any virus or worm or other junk. but aside from the firmware being up to date, anything I can do to it to make it more effective?

I just checked and my router does have Stateful Packet Inspection :banana:

6. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

Yes, I would recommend zonealarm too. When U d/l and install the free version, it offers U the option of having the paid version for 14 days for free. But then U would have to pay for continued use. Just install the free version.

The purchased version has more features, but I used the free version for free for a long time.

I got tired of bloated Norton Anti Virus earlier this year, though, and I bought the Zone Alarm Antivirus program. Now, I have their A/V program and the full version of the firewall. I am much happier with their A/V. Computer loads quicker and runs quicker than it did with Norton.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Well, I guess in that situation, if its that bad, ZoneAlarm will have to do. Its just personal opinion, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, that ZA, or any s/w firewall, is best used in conjuction with a Hardware firewall/router

Here's a halfway decent port scan..
    http://scan.sygate.com:443/cgi-bin/probe/stealthscan.cgi

IGF

8. lens

lens

Another vote for Zone Alarm for the software firewall. Plus enable the NAT firewall on your router.

That's an economically reasonable solution for almost all consumer installations.

9. malkore

malkore

I've had no problems using a combo of my router firewall, and the XP built in firewall.

10. lens

lens

XP firewall is one-way, preventing incursions, but ignoring anything outgoing (like if your machine was infected and became a Zombie).

ZoneAlarm protects you both ways . . . inbound and outbound.

11. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

+1 for ZoneAlarm

I agree with lens to a point. ZA protects outgoing IF the user takes the time to learn what programs do not need access and then deny that access. I have had many people crying to me about ZA not protecting them and come to find that every program in the list is
    "ALLOWED" access. It seems that when there is a request, these people click "yes" and "remember this setting".

12. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

Yes, U are right.

The full version even asks U when programs run for the 1st time - seperate from the firewall issue. So, it really is very good.

On my laptop a few years ago, a program requested permission to access the internet. It looked strange, so I denied and then looked at the info and tracked down where the file was and the complete name. Did a google search - it was a virus (credit card keystroker or something, I forget now). Ran the Norton scanner - NEVER found it. I check Norton's website and read the details on how to manually get rid of the virus.

But had I not had Zonealarm, which also monitors OUTGOING access, I never would have knowned thanks to the crappy Norton AV.

If done properly, Zone Alarm is more effective than just a hardware based firewall.

13. lens

lens

Excellent point!

The person behind the keyboard is still the first line of defense!

ZA and anything else are only good if setup and used properly.