Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First - the DISCLAIMER::: I am NOT a doctor.

I have a lot of experience WITH doctors as having been a Biomedical Engineer (not the choo-choo train type) and have had about 20 or surgeries on just my eyes alone..... so after I tell you what I did, you can see if it would be a good idea or not for YOU. Me? I got it wired this time without going to ER............

I have had so many surgeries that I am on a first name basis with a few dozen doctors of varying specialties.

This morning I got a sliver of metal when I was drilling some holes under my log-hauling trailer. OK - if you must know - this time I wasn't wearing eye protection, but it was just gonna be a quickie, so no harm, no foul, right?

Wrong - a spiral of steel dropped onto my cheek and as I went to brush it off, a piece of it must've broken off and went into my right eye.

I've got rust-rings in my eyes from years of getting metal into them, safety glasses or not - it happened.

I got a good idea! I had just bought a small tube of Neo-magnets from Harbor Fright, and I grabbed one off the stack and just ALMOST touched it to my eye and the piece of steel jumped right out!

Again - I'm not telling you what to do. I certainly don't want to be quoted for this as a treatment. I'm just saying - it worked for me.

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
10,479 Posts
The older I get, the more I try to wear the gear...but we have all done s*** like that and then said what the hell?

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,497 Posts
When I was (much!) younger, I was the guy that was "an accident, looking for a place to happen."

Fingers??? No worries. I've got 10 of 'em.
Toes??? No problem. I've got 10 of 'em.

Eyes????? I've only got 2 of 'em, and I make my living, using my eyes. Plus, since I first heard the song, "I'm a Girl Watcher" (The O'kaysions - 1968), I NEED my eyes! :)

Eye protection is the first thing I reach for, when doing ANY work.

Funny thing. I took my prescription glasses off while playing with my (then) 2 year old son, and he reached behind him and his fingernails slid across my right eyeball and scratched the H E double hockey sticks out of my cornea!!!!

The 3 scratches have healed and left scars that resemble cataracts. Cloudy.

Reactions: mj9mm

·
Registered
11,549 Posts
When I was (much!) younger, I was the guy that was "an accident, looking for a place to happen."

Fingers??? No worries. I've got 10 of 'em.
Toes??? No problem. I've got 10 of 'em.

Eyes????? I've only got 2 of 'em, and I make my living, using my eyes. Plus, since I first heard the song, "I'm a Girl Watcher" (The O'kaysions - 1968), I NEED my eyes! :)

Eye protection is the first thing I reach for, when doing ANY work.

Funny thing. I took my prescription glasses off while playing with my (then) 2 year old son, and he reached behind him and his fingernails slid across my right eyeball and scratched the H E double hockey sticks out of my cornea!!!!

The 3 scratches have healed and left scars that resemble cataracts. Cloudy.
awwww!!

·
Native Mainiac
22,605 Posts
I'm not a doctor either, and the magnet idea sounds pretty good. Unless ya got a steel plate in yer head. Accidents happen to some people whoget to crazy with powerful magnets.
upload_2018-10-25_20-20-51.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,009 Posts
Good thing the sliver of metal wasn't stainless steel of the non-magnetic type.

·
Registered
17,388 Posts
Magnetic steel in eyes = no mri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The underscore is silent
5,233 Posts
The older I get, the more I try to wear the gear...but we have all done s*** like that and then said what the hell?
Yup...if you haven’t dodged a piece of scrap wood that the tablesaw launched back at you like a bullfighter, you probably don’t need to read this thread.

I am good about wearing safety glasses in the shop these days. But probably just because I’m older...wiser is questionable.

·
Registered
10,976 Posts
I'm a stickler for eye protection. The ONE time I took mine off for just a few shots at the range, some guy was shooting steel about 50 yards to my right and something flew over and hit me hard enough to leave a bruise about an inch from my right eye. Can't be too careful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts