Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Native Mainiac
23,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story, but after fighting with the power and phone company for a couple years, I got three of the very old power poles replaced, the high voltage line extended closer to my house and my own step down transformer to service my house and old camp.
The phone company was last to come in and move their cable to the new poles (and raise it up another 10 feet. Those bashtads took the guy wires from the pld poles, but just knocked the old poles down into the woods. (poles were wicked rotted at the ground level). But they did't bother taking all the heavy duty galvanised through bolts and cable support hardware.

I'm on a mission to go pull out that stuff for some purpose yet to be determined and then cut up the old poles into fireplace sized chunks for later marshmallow roasts. Nothing like a little creosote to give things those a real back-woods Maine flavor.

Would you bother pulling this hardware that you may never need but may be just the thing for some future project??

Pics will follow up the bounty mission.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
I have all kinds of [email protected] like that hardware that I have been saving up for 26 years for the future. Now that the future is here, and I haven't used any of it, I am trying to divest myself of it. All kinds of Man Stuff, that you pile up in the garage or basement. It would have been easier for me not to hoard it way back then.

So I guess it depends on what stage of life you are in, and whether you think you actually use it. One reaches a point where it more satisfying not to have then to have.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I have all kinds of [email protected] like that hardware that I have been saving up for 26 years for the future. Now that the future is here, and I haven't used any of it, I am trying to divest myself of it. All kinds of Man Stuff, that you pile up in the garage or basement. It would have been easier for me not to hoard it way back then.

So I guess it depends on what stage of life you are in, and whether you think you actually use it. One reaches a point where it more satisfying not to have then to have.
I anxiously await reaching that point. I'm 83 and still collecting useless ****.:fred:

·
Native Mainiac
23,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man...that would take ALL the fun out of life. I hope I live a long long time, but never get that old. Nothing more satisfying than having something on hand that you need to build or fix something...and that goes double when that certain was gotten for FREE.

·
Come on man!!
16,650 Posts
I heard that food cooked over burning telephone poles will supposedly "put some lead in your pencil".

I've never tried it, so I dunno, it's just what I heard. :dunno:

·
Native Mainiac
23,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha-Ha...easier than I thought....except for the cable clamps. Those nuts are tight, so hit them with some PB Blaster for a beer or two.
Here's a pick of one of the old ceramic insulators that was on the old pole...think those were in fashioned when @Ramjet38 was in short pants.
Pole Insulator.jpg

And here's the hardware. Cable clamp on left side. Another one still in the woods attached to the anchor end of cable.

Pole Hardware.jpg

And here is end of pole in the ground. I can jam a crow bar 10 to 12 inches deep into the wood. Not sure what held those old poles up. Somewhere I have a pic of it still standing...was a little twisted and warped to say the least.
Pole Hole.jpg

·
Mentally Frozen
28,588 Posts
Don't they have a hardware store in Maine?

·
Director of civil unrest
10,294 Posts
Long story, but after fighting with the power and phone company for a couple years, I got three of the very old power poles replaced, the high voltage line extended closer to my house and my own step down transformer to service my house and old camp.
The phone company was last to come in and move their cable to the new poles (and raise it up another 10 feet. Those bashtads took the guy wires from the pld poles, but just knocked the old poles down into the woods. (poles were wicked rotted at the ground level). But they did't bother taking all the heavy duty galvanised through bolts and cable support hardware.

I'm on a mission to go pull out that stuff for some purpose yet to be determined and then cut up the old poles into fireplace sized chunks for later marshmallow roasts. Nothing like a little creosote to give things those a real back-woods Maine flavor.

Would you bother pulling this hardware that you may never need but may be just the thing for some future project??

Pics will follow up the bounty mission.
You watch, the day after you get all that hardware off and the poles cut up and stacked, the power co. and telephone co. will show up and say you owe them $1000 each. Lol!

·
Values. Can't be bought.
13,164 Posts
Hard sayin', not knowin'.

·
Registered
21,753 Posts
The utility company in my AO did a pole survey and is in the process of replacing some of the poles. They strip the hardware from the poles and will leave the poles in the ditch of your property if you want the pole. If you don't want the pole, they take it with them.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I’m in the process of burning an old cut down light pole into the ground as we speak

·
Premium Member
26,351 Posts
Lots of older posts were “butt treated” Being cheap they spread creosote on last 6 ft in the ground. I have a bunch. The base is good, but beyond that rotten. So safe for most uses.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts