free for all topic thread

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DBradD, Aug 19, 2007.

1. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Jack, so how did the DL PR try, with IF, go?

What's your impression of IF so far? One of my strongest impressions is that it would be a fantastic weight loss plan. On days when I IF, I usually have 300-400 calories prior to 6pm. After one big meal, I'm at 1200-1300 calories. After, that I have to really work to get up my at least my BMR of about 1800-1850. I have to be careful to eat enough when I IF. Any issues with hydration? I find that I dehydrate much easier with IF. Any issues with going to sleep? Unlike TWD dude's ideas, I find that I have a huge burst of energy and feel like staying up too late after I eat.

Update on my golfer's elbow: I think a large part of the problem is sitting that bone on my desk at the lab. It was feeling pretty good until I worked at the lab Friday and Saturday. Now it's worse off than ever. My chair doesn't fit well with my desk there, so that bone rubs the corner ofmy desk. No fun getting old.

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Hey Brad,

Yeah, I pulled a 5 rep PR, only 5 pounds, but still a PR. I guess IF is not hurting my meager lifts.

Sleep is a different animal however. I have always had a problem sleeping when I cardio hard and sometinmes from squatting too. I lay in bed, when I fall asleep an arm or leg or sometimes my full body will jump and wake me up. I also will get some sort of apnea where I hold my breath. Additionally it will feel like my heart is beating very strong. Anyhow, I had this problem this week. I attributed it to erging and squatting, but perhaps it was from IF.

Haven't noticed any problems with dehydration yet.

I modified my modified IF yesterday. I ate a big breakfast, 4 eggs and bacon. I kow bacon isn't Cordain approved, I ate it anyway. Then, I ate dinner which was not Paleo at all. I ate potato salad and a couple beers!

I like my version of IF so far. I think I'll take a break from it and Paleo on Saturday's like I did this week.

Good news figuring out the cause of your elbow problems.

3. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Congratulations on the PR. A PR is a PR, 5 lb or not!

It's surreal reading the descriptions of your sleep anomalies. I've experienced all three of those over the years and had never heard anybody else describe them. I've never linked any of it to exertion, but might not have caught on to a pattern. The very hard heart beating is VERY unsettling to me. The last time that happened, sometime last week, I had gotten up at 3-4am to use the bathroom and had just laid back down.

I'd be very interested to know if many others have these issues too. I might post something at CF and rosstraining about this.

4. California Jack

Brad,

Just to make sure I was clear, my apnea issue isn't the normal snoring-type blockage of the airway. I hold my breath and wake myself up exhaling urgently.

The heart beat deal is just hard beating, not accelerated or anything. I can feel it thumping away in my chest.

I have wondered if the heart beat deal and the jumping/twitching are effects of the apnea.

I have occasionally tried web searches using the terms 'exercise induced insomnia' or 'exercise induced apnea' and haven't had much luck.

If you learn something at another website please relay the info.

Jack

5. California Jack

Oh yeah,

You really ARE getting old.:banana:

6. DBradD

DBradD Guest

It was clear. Those are precisely what I've noticed.

The arm twitching one is not quite as obvious, but I think it's the same thing. Almost asleep and arm or leg moves as if a reflex to avoid falling or something.

I haven't looked anywhere else yet and will certainly report anything useful.

7. California Jack

That's it! Sometimes it's full body.

8. DBradD

DBradD Guest

My wife says she experiences all 3 of these too. She rarely works out, so I'm inclined to believe that most people have these, but just never talk about them.

9. California Jack

Another 5 lb 5 rep PR in the DL today. Although, I did not IF yesterday, I was successgul with IF and Paleo the rest of the week. Next week I'm going to pull for a top single and than back cycle a little.

Now excuse me while I go have a celebratory pint.:broccoli:

10. DBradD

DBradD Guest

11. California Jack

Pulled a 10 lb single PB today! Can't credit or at least support IF and paleo with this however. I ate whatever and whenever I wanted this week. Will get back after it after Labor Day.

12. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Way to go! Perhaps eating whatever you want helped you store up some extra energy.

13. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Just checking in since I've been away from H&F for a while. Been busy.

You may remember that I was doing a modified 20-rep squat program, only modified to include a few additional large, compound movements. I did this all of August and had good results. Basically, my program was 4 days on, 1 off, doing BP, BS, SP, DL on each day at 20 reps. I will then follow (with lots of rest after the 20-rep set) with supplemental movements or sometimes I would do 1 rep sets of the same exercise, moving towards 80-90%ish of the PR, and/or some light metcon.

It has worked out well. I've hit PRs in each movement, with the biggest gain on my BS; new PR by 20lbs. I'm 10 lbs away from 6 plates, which was/is my goal by the end of the year. You may remember my BS was stalled in the recent months.

My metcon has suffered a slight bit but that was expected. When I finish this cycle at the end of Sept, I'll put more metcon back in.

Thanks to CJ for the 20-rep squat suggestion and for everyone's feedback about 1.5 months ago.

14. California Jack

Michael,

I missed your last post here. I guess I just overlooked it wading thru all the material that gets posted in the H&F.

Anyhow, glad you broke through your squat plateau. How did you like the 20 rep squats? Did they make you breath hard?

Jack

15. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I like the 20-rep program. It helped me out of my stall so how can I not like it.

I do have to say that I probably truly did not find my 10-rep max and then do 20 reps. That to me is impossible. If it is truly a 10 rep max, it is a 10 rep max. Nonetheless, 20-reps with fairly heavy weights is still a b**ch no matter how you cut it.

All I did was to start with a weight where I thought I could do 20 reps (I just started with a bit over my BW) and added 10 lbs. each workout. If I missed 20 reps, then I rest for as long as I need to record the set, then immediately try to finish the reps to get to 20 - usually, I will go well beyond the 20 cumulative reps to make up for the failure. Then, my next BS workout would be at the same weight until I can hit 20 without rest.

I did the 20-rep routine with the BP and DL as well. BP was much tougher to achieve 20 reps at first for some reason. You may remember that I thought my BP 1-RM was proportionally much higher than my BS 1-RM. Well, for some reason, that pattern did not flow through to the 20-rep routine, as I just hit a wall at 16 reps at just a bit over BW when I started the routine. Weird.

Anyway, I am definitely going to keep the 20-rep routine in the rotation.