Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Me fail English? That's unpossible
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow AR15 fans. I’ve got a question for you guys. I have a old Bushmaster 16” A4 with the heavy barrel. It has the front triangle sight and I planned on removing it and installing a set of MLOK free floating hand guards.

I’m just curious if the hand guards will fit on the target/heavy barrel? Anyone done this? I have the tools and knowledge how to do it, so only unknown it the fit.

Any info would be awesome!

Thanks,
w30olds

·
Premium Member
42,134 Posts
As stated above, the limitation will be the gas block size.
I really like the MLok handguards from Bravo Company

Reactions: w30olds

·
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The kit I’m looking at comes with a low profile gas block actually. Not sure if it will fit the thicker barrel or not

·
Good looking deplorable
7,148 Posts
The kit I’m looking at comes with a low profile gas block actually. Not sure if it will fit the thicker barrel or not
Like said above. You can chop the front gas block. I have done this on a couple of guns.

·
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like said above. You can chop the front gas block. I have done this on a couple of guns.
May go that route. So your talking about the front triangle sight being the gas block right? Also what is the best way to chop it off? Thanks!

·
Anti-Federalist
21,649 Posts
I'd just use the gas block that come in the kit and save the old FSP for another build.

·
NRA Life Member
66,515 Posts
Never mind, misread.

So take your gun apart and measure to see if the gas block will fit and get one that does. It's going to have to come apart anyhow.

If the kit doesn't have the size you need, buy handguard and gas block separately.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Need to verify two things,

1. If replacing the gas block, that it is the correct size for the barrel.

2. Free float hand guards have different inside diameters, you need to verify that the gas block is smaller than the inside diameter of the hand guard. Keep in mind that the gas block is not round when you measure it.

If you do this there should not be any problem. I have a heavy barrel AR that the gas block is .936" and it has a free float hand guard on it.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
May go that route. So your talking about the front triangle sight being the gas block right? Also what is the best way to chop it off? Thanks!
I used a hack saw to cut the sight and swivel mount off. Then I used the side of a chop saw blade to round the edges. Then I coated the bare metal with Cold Blue to keep it from rusting. Then I pinned it back on the barrel.

Anything that will grind will get the job done. The cuts and grinding don’t need to be perfect as the remaining gas block will be hidden anyway.
0D3FD290-BA31-4935-9194-CF33C611F540.jpeg
9F8D3BC1-8234-4091-9831-C2E5D3EAD88B.jpeg
910CB9B6-D08A-4490-901C-906F31BF1673.jpeg

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
Yes, the front sight is also the gas block, you can chop it and just use it as a gas block or you can remove it entirely and run a low profile gas block under your free float hand guard. Any cutting device suitable for precisely cutting metal should work.

The gas block that comes with your kit may or may not fit your barrel. Most AR's have a .75" diameter gas blocks and if I had to guess that is what your kit likely comes with, but there are other options both bigger and smaller for bull barrels and pencil barrels.

·
Have Gun Will Travel
3,456 Posts
Centurion Arms has rails that allow you to keep your FSB, pinned muzzle device and mount via your stock barrel nut. Monte and Connie are great people and they stand behind their products. Give them a call and they'll help guide you through the decision process.

https://www.centurionarms.com/rail-systems-s/1814.htm

·
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys for your information and recommendations!

·
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So I ordered a low profile gas block. My barrel is the 0.750” size so that’s good news. Ordered a free float 15” with MLOK attaching system. Going to keep my original FGB for spare parts in case I might need it someday. Pretty excited to get this AR upgraded to a free float setup.

My AR pistol has the free float hand guards and I like it a lot. Just limited on space to mount items. I’m only running Magpul BUIS on it. My longer AR will have the Aimpoint and a set of Magpul BUIS that cowitness perfectly together.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd just use the gas block that come in the kit and save the old FSP for another build.
The old FSB is NOT interchangeable with other barrels. They are mounted, drilled and pinned together and become a matched set.

I am personally a fan of cutting down the FSB, finishing it on a grinding wheel, and using high temp engine paint for protection. It is a bulletproof design. I personally would not put a lo-profile gas block on the rifle if it is not pinned on.

I have 3 rifles, one of them a heavy barrel, that I cut down in this manner. All of them have ALG handguards like Walk Soft has, even though I used the V3 blems.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,649 Posts
The old FSB is NOT interchangeable with other barrels. They are mounted, drilled and pinned together and become a matched set.

I am personally a fan of cutting down the FSB, finishing it on a grinding wheel, and using high temp engine paint for protection. It is a bulletproof design. I personally would not put a lo-profile gas block on the rifle if it is not pinned on.

I have 3 rifles, one of them a heavy barrel, that I cut down in this manner. All of them have ALG handguards like Walk Soft has, even though I used the V3 blems.

You can most certainly put it on another barrel and re-pin it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can most certainly put it on another barrel and re-pin it.
Yes you could re-pin it I was talking about just taking the FSB of of one rifle and putting it on another and expecting the pins to line up. It makes no sense to use an old FSB on a new build unless perhaps you got a used barrel that's missing the original FSB. A new barrel would have to be drilled anyway so you would have all new parts already properly mated. A spare FSB doesn't make sense unless you are repairing a broken ear or something and really want to keep the barrel.

·
1911 lover
10,157 Posts

Fsp fsb ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts