close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Free Dog Apbt Dfw

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by warrjsmith, Mar 24, 2007.

1. warrjsmith

warrjsmith

I have a brown and white APBT I unfortunately don't have any papers on him, but he is 2 years old had all his shots and I even had his ears cropped by the VET.(PROFESSIONALLY). I would keep my dog but I have suddenly lost my nerve and started thinking about all kinds of things, like my jackass neighbors kid all the liability. I have attended all kinds of behavior classes with this dog and kept all vet records, who ever wants him can have that too. I am running out of options if no one wants him I will have to put him down.........THanx for lookin

And for all those wondering, he has never done anything wrong or agressive. I too have a 1 year old, but the dog was there before my son so I have decided to get him his own puppy when he gets older.

2. Cannibal Roses

Cannibal Roses

Please don't put a good dog to sleep just because his breed has a bad rep. The rep DOES have a little merit, so re-homing him to make sure nothing happens in the future isn't terrible, but please call some rescue groups or contact the local ASPCA/Humane Society to see if someone can help you place him.

He trusts and loves you. You admitted he's not a mean dog. Take the time and effort it takes to get him a loving home with a responsible adult who will adore him.

3. warrjsmith

warrjsmith

I am trying, but I am running out of options. I really would like to keep my dog but, I really have turned into a chicken lately. I don't know if it is old age at 28 that is setting in or what?

4. narine2541

narine2541 marine2541

Look, Man! That's a living thing you've got there! You have a responsiblity to get him a good home. Putting him down is the chicken way out! I'd forget about ever getting another dog unless you decide you're going make a 14 year committment.

5. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

There are a number of good shelters in the Dallas area that you can drop your dog off at. It doesn't cost anything and they will try to find a home. Putting a healthy dog to sleep is wrong in so many ways. You will have to pay to have it put down. Giving it to a shelter is free.

Can't you find it within yourself to have some compassion for a sentient being that wants nothing but to be your friend ? At least give your dog the chance at a life with someone else.

Metroport Humane Society Fort Worth 817-491-9499

Forney Road Shelter
    8414 Forney Road Dallas, TX 75227

Oak Cliff Shelter
    525 Shelter Place Dallas, TX 75203

Adoption hotline: 214.670.8216

Elaine Maddox
    Animal Shelter Board, District 3 representative
    7420 Sorcey
    Dallas, TX 75249
    c77runfast@sbcglobal.net

SPCA Of Texas

362 S Industrial Blvd.
    Dallas, TX zip code
    Phone:(214) 742-7722

Texas Cares
    18484 Preston Rd # 102
    Dallas, TX zip code
    Phone: (972) 633-2287

Critters Second Chance
    1143 Lonsdale Ave
    Dallas, TX zip code
    Phone: (972) 289-0594

Humane Society Of Dallas County
    2719 Manor Way
    Dallas, TX 75235 (214) 350-7387

Dfw Humane Society
    1611 W Irving Blvd
    Irving, TX 75061 (972) 253-3333

6. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

How can you be running out of options when all you have to do is drop the dog off at a shelter ?

Turning into a chicken ? Thats a cop out.

7. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

I'm sorry for the cop out comment. I just got a little upset about your dog. If I had the time to drive to Dallas I would take him off your hands.

8. lcarreau

lcarreau Reload Artist

I visted a local sheltrer in Arlington, Texas. There is certainly no shortage of young pit bulls. Frankly, I would worry about the kind of folks that would go to a shelter to get such a dog. I think the origional poster is doing the right thing.

9. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

:upeyes: I hope you don't do this. I kept, bred, and trained Pit Bulldogs for more than 35 years. In 1990 during a Sunday morning home break-in, my life was (quite possibly) saved by a Pit Bull Terrier.

You remind me of a story my old vet once told. He came into the examination room looking pretty down. I asked him what was wrong. He said; 'I love this business; but, I'm really learning to hate some of the people who walk in here.'

'They change their minds; they lose interest; it's more responsibility than they bargained for; they want to be free; and, I'm the one they expect to put their dog down so they can get on with their inane dumbass lives!'

'I used to try to reason with these people; but, they're a motley bunch.' 'Now I just throw them, the Hell, out of the office, and try to go on with the business of healing the sick!'

True story from a saddened and frustrated veterinarian who took very good care of my Pit Bulls for more than 10 years. I sure hope you're not one of these dumbass dog owners who's just looking for a cheap excuse, some comfortable rationale, and the instant freedom to get on with your life!

Personally, I'd rather be damned than turn my back on a dog who's been loyal to me for years; however, like my old vet, I recognize that it's an imperfect world. You might want to remember this: Nothing in life happens without consequence. What goes around, comes around.

(And, yeah, you heard it here, first!) ;)

10. warrjsmith

warrjsmith

Everyone here is certainly allowed to have there own opinions, but I am not really interested in the disrespectful tone some of you have given off. I certainly would like to put my dog up for an adoption, but as I said no takers. I firmly believe that if something were to happen no one here voicing negative opinions would step up and take responsibility. It is for this reason that if you don't have anything helpful to post DON'T POST anything............

11. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Post the dog on craigslist in the free section. The problem with putting the dog in a shelter is that people don't usually go there looking for a 2 year old pit.

I love the breed myself, and have also picked up dogs from shelters, but the average person that sees him in a shelter will think he has a behavour issue.

Take a small ad out in the news paper, try craigslist, even try a local breeder. Even without papers he has some value to a dog lover.

12. DrawDown

DrawDown

13. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

Here’s an interesting story about someone with 4 children and no, ‘cold feet’:

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=6281874

‘ A dog left for dead has a new lease on life and a new family.

When the dog nicknamed "Slim" was found last November, animal rescue workers weren't sure he was going to make it.

Now the 57 pound, energetic, lab and pit bull mix likes to play ball.

Slim was just 23 pounds when he was found, fighting for his life with more ribs showing than meat on his bones. He was malnourished and lethargic, found starving in a Scranton home, left alone for two weeks.

"He had a slim chance to live, really. They didn't think he was going to make it, but he pulled through. He had the drive to live," said humane officer Tina Walter.

That drive was on display Monday outside the Humane Society of Lackawanna County. Slim was nursed back to health in foster care with a combination of medication, dog food, yogurt and cookies.

He soon gained weight and a permanent home. He was just adopted by Richard Burrier of Scranton, who has four children, ages 8 to 14.

"It means a lot. Everything he's been through, it's pretty much a miracle that he was able to survive. He has a real drive to live, so I think a lot of people should become aware of what happens to these poor dogs," Burrier said.

The dog's previous owner has been fined for animal cruelty.

His new owner promises the opposite for "Slim." Now that he's stockier, does the name "Slim" still fit?

"We're keeping the name because everything he went through, so yeah, he's going to stay "Slim"," Burrier added

(Heartwarming, isn't it!) ;)

14. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

dude sound like to me you are a prick . there are several options you can do to make sure dog finds a home. that dog did not pick you from the get go ,you picked him. now be a man and find the dog a home. dont hand us that bull**** oh i cant find him a place crap. and this being a internet forum and if no rules are broken anyone can post whatever they want too.

15. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

If you can get the dog to Houston I will take him. PM me if you can drive the dog to Houston or if shipping him here is acceptable.

16. warrjsmith

warrjsmith

Quite frankly I don't care what you think. :thumbsup: Your opinion means squat to me!!! I told everyone that I was not interested in your disrespectful comments, but you didn't seem to catch that did you?.........................

17. olyeller

olyeller

sdsnet,
    if you find and time to run up there and get him, or have him shipped(?), you've got $20 gas money from me.

Ive got a big ol' cheasapake bay retriever, and they'd tear each other up, otherwise Id grab him.

Im serious, its a paypal click away.
    Who else is with me?:hugs:

18. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

been keeping my comment to myself, but since im very willing to throw up 20 for gas to the person adopting, might as well take the opportunity.. PM me if this comes through..

warrjsmith - cant handle a dog, fine, we all make mistakes.. but why in the world are you going to get another one? dogs dont deserve to be "traded in" like guns and trucks.. yea i know, you dont care..

19. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

My problem is I don't have the 10 hours time for the round trip from Houston. I'll PM you and get your address so I can check with a shipping company to pick him up. Do you have a crate you can put him in for the trip ?

20. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

olyeller, I'll take you and any others up on donations to help pay for the shipping :thumbsup: I will let everyone know if everything works out getting an address etc. Once I get the address I will make some calls to find out how much it will take to ship him and all the details.