close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Freakin MRSA!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mike253, Feb 9, 2010.

1. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

Ok, so this is my 3rd bout with MRSA.

First arrived over the summer with some stitches in my back that got infected... no biggie, no fever, just a scar

Second round showed up on my knee after a slide in to 2nd base playing Softball..a few bumps, some drainage, no biggie

This time I've got it on my back (next to the "sitches" scar). This one came from cleaning my dad up, and then moving my dad around in the hospital while he had it and pseudomonas.

I've got spot near the middle of my back that I can't get to drain completely.. every time it's almost healed, I have to showel more snow so it starts again (scab busts open and I bleed like a stuck pig)

How can I treat this stuff? I wash everything I can in bleach and I wash myself in Hibiclense after I take the anti-biotics.

My dad HAS to have me at his new rehab place and willing/able to help him to get anything accomplished.. at this point, I refuse to touch him because he just had his leg amputated.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Sorry to hear this sir.

Sounds like you're using up all of your back luck/suck for 2010-2025 all in one year!

Here's to a better tomorrow! :cheers:

'Drew

3. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

That's the problem 'Drew. MRSA doesn't bother "Me" ETA: I'm a healthy young buck", and if dear old dad would let the nurses handle things it wouldn't affect him either. Because that's not OK with him, I had to wear 2 sweatshirts and rubber gloves when I hugged him tonight.

He's not long of this world, And I want to make sure I can make him as absolutely comfortable and as safe as possible through the remainder of his journey. Unfortunately, I'm a source of comfort to him. And honstly, he's a source of comfort to me. Right now, I'm sticking with "Dad, MRSA is very bad" and he's going for it. Eventually, he'll figure out why they took his leg, and MRSA won't seem so bad

4. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

Go to a doctor immediately. If a non-antibiotic treatment is not working you need to be on one of the meds which MRSA is not resistent to. Since most of these are aministered IV you will likely have to be admitted to the hospital. MRSA as I'm sure you know is potentially very serious. It is now the number one cause of narcotizing fasciitis, aka the "flesh eating bacteria". You do not want THIS WARNING GRAPHIC PIC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Necrotizing_fasciitis_left_leg.JPEG

5. mixflip

mixflip

Thats the bad part. Its a Staphylococcas Aureus infection that is Resistant to Methicillan medication. I believe you need serious agressive antibiotics to treat it properly? Its been years since I worked in a hospital but I remember all the MRSA patients had IV meds and lived positive pressure isolation rooms. Your bandadges may be contageous too so stay vigilant at practicing universal precautions.

Necrotizing faciitis is just about the most God aweful thing a human can have so get treated asap. One day you have what looks like a bug bite...3 days later your apendage needs to be amputated to save your life.

6. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

I've had it. Damn near lost my leg.
    It's not something to play around with. I had to go to the hospital's "wound healing center" and have it cut out and debrided for 10 months to get a surgical incision to close.
    There's pictures on my MySpace myspace.com/weiser878
    I had the necrotising faciitous part, too.

Good luck, man.

7. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

MRSA can be deadly. You need a culture done to see which antibiotics will work on your infection. You should see a doc right away if you have not done so. Good luck.

8. Janno05

Janno05

You need some vanc my friend, and I would consider putting some tegaderm over the wound after cleaning it as well. I can guarantee you that the nursing staff appreciates the efforts you are taking to prevent the infection with your father!

9. okie

okie GT Mayor

I'm sorry to hear this Mike, I hope all will be well my friend:angel:

10. chris in va

chris in va

My friend's kid has it in her lungs.

IIRC one of the nurses said they use Bactrin (sp?) for external CA-MRSA infections.