Frankford Arsenal digital scale?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by RHVEtte, Feb 4, 2010.

1. RHVEtte

RHVEtte

2. dudel

dudel

Normally, I would say cheap scales (especially digital ones) are junk. However, one day, during a weak moment at HF, I picked up one of the little digital versions for about $10 on sale. I've been surprised at it's accuracy. How long it holds up is another question. Don't trust it as my primary scale. I may have also been lucky with it. Others have not been lucky with them.

While I don't think I'll use it to weigh pistol powder charges, it seems to work to group boolits by weight. There's a big difference in a 148 gr boolit being off by a grain; than having a 4gr load be off by 1 gr.

Bottom line, it's cheap enough to try; but you need an accurate scale to know how good it really is (or isn't).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010

3. Toledo

Toledo

I have the exact same scale I bought from Midway 3 yrs ago...it was good for one battery change. After that, it became junk. Spend a little more & invest in a quality scale.

4. GlockMonk

GlockMonk

I have one, and it's kind of okay. But no digital scale is going to replace my beam scale, that's for sure.

GlockMonk

5. LoadedTech

LoadedTech

Mine is pretty accurate if I zero it with a case and use same case to read powder weight. They dont seeem too good at just a 4-6g powder charge even after calibrated.

6. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

I liked my Frankfort Arsenal Digital Scale until it up and died on me last month.

[​IMG]

They say it's accutate to a tenth of a grain but I checked it against my Jennings MACK 20 milligram scale and it was somewhere between .14 and .2 grains.

I got mine on sale at Midway a few years ago for about $20. I'd get another at that price if I could find it.

It's a fun supplemental scale but a guy should still have a good balance beam scale.

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

8. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Horandy is selling a new version pocket digital for about $34. I have a friend that just got one.... I have to say it's just as accurate as my Dillon D-Terminator, and settles ALMOST just as fast in regards to hunting the reading. A little sensitive if you jar the table of bench accidentally. This is my opinon after he brought it over and we did a one time side by side comparison using my check weights.
    If you wanted to go digital, for one fifth the money, I would give that one a try.

9. fredj338

fredj338

As w/ most things cheaply made in China, it's krap. If you want a digital, you are going to have to spend some money for a good one. The Dillon is top notch, I have also heard good things about the new RCBS.

10. TACC GLOCK

TACC GLOCK SEMPER FIDELIS

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

As with all things cheap, I wonder how it will last? Do you know what the warranty is on the Hornady Digital Electric items? Dillon is only 1 year. That really makes me think twice about it. I can't find any info about a $35 scale from Hornady. Got a link?

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

13. aerod1

aerod1 NRA Life Member

My Cabela's XT-1500 seems to be a great scale and has worked well for over a year. It is still going but I do check periodically with check weights and compare with my balance beam scale. So far, so good. It cost $89.95 in 2008.

14. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

It's $79 now. Has a AC cable as well. Most the cheaper ones do not.

15. aerod1

aerod1 NRA Life Member

Well you might know they would go down in price, after I get mine. Typical.
    Yes, they operate on batteries and ac cord as well.
    I like mine.....so far.

16. fredj338

fredj338

The Dillon is one year for direct replacement. After that, they will replace it for 1/2 the new one. I would not trust a dig under $100 to be reliable enough for powder charges.

17. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Been using the same RCBS digital scale for probably close to 20 years or so, also have an Ohaus beam scale that's well over 40 years old.

Both seem to be as accurate as the day they were new... haven't blown anything up yet. But then again, the day is still young. :whistling:

Jack

18. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

I believe it is lifetime so I'm told.

Though I agree the 0.01gr accuracy is better... in essence what does it matter if the digital read out does not read in 100ths of gr or better? Which the Dillon digi and others don't.

Accuracy calibration is +/- 2-3% at best with precision measuring equipment we are discussing here. A example of which are the Harbor freight digital calipers that everyone here including myself will agree are a good deal for sub $20. I took mine to the calibration shop at my place of employment. A commercial aircraft manufacturing company in the PNW :whistling:
    The tech said he would never certify them as calibrated, almost twice the rated accuracy of the manufacturer, which is a average. Mainly because the jaws are not mated to the precision required.. he marked them "For Reference ONLY!"

I base this only on what I know from the little experience I got with using my check weights on the Horandy and the 20 plus years I have in using PME in the aerospace quality assurance sector. But after saying all this... What does 0.02 gr accuracy mean if you don't have a reading that measures to that scale and you KNOW that you are going to be loading to a given mid to mid-upper powder range anyways? Such as loading 115g 9mm with 4.0 to 4.4g of TG. :dunno:

19. ManNamedJed

ManNamedJed

I've had one for about a year now. It works fine and I've been happy with it. I've checked it against a nicer RCBS a buddy loaned me and they always read the same.

20. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Just like the caliper a scale for me is just a tool to reach a result. The end result is what I shoot and what fps it gives me as a result of the powder charge and OAL. When I change my powder .1 grs I can see a change at the chrono. So for me a .1 gr difference matters. Do I know for sure my 4.1 grs of Solo 1000 is actually 4.1 grs. Nope. And honestly it doesn't matter. But I do know that the 4.1 grs I loaded today is the same as the 4.1 grs I loaded the month before. I also know if I had to change my powder measure volume to get that change. Those are the things that matter to me.

I just noticed I said .02 gr accuracy in my previous post. That Hornady scale is only .2 gr accurate. Thats not enough for me. .02 is a TYPO.