Glock Talk banner

Frame flex after grip reduction?

1194 6
I just did a minor grip reduction on my Gen 3 G26. This consisted of removing the finger grooves and filing down the checking where the fingers rest and the checking on the lower part of the backstrap. I made sure to remove only the raised areas and to not take off any more material than necessary. The the grip walls themselves were not made significantly thinner.

Afterwards, I notice that the frame flexes laterally without a lot of pressure applied. This is with the slide removed and no mag. There is little to no vertical flex, however. Is this normal? I'm wondering if removing the finger grooves made the frame less rigid and if it's a reason for concern (reduced accuracy or a possible failure of some kind). Of course, with the slide on and a mag inserted, the flex is not noticeable.

To be honest, I never checked the amount of frame flex before doing this reduction, so it's possible that it isn't any greater than it's always been. If necessary, I'll fill in the space behind the mag well with epoxy to restore some structural rigidity (so far I haven't done this, since I didn't remove enough material to go through the backstrap).
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,269 Posts
Nope shouldn't be an issue I've done the same thing on mine, and have had no issues, now on my carry gun I took that back hump out as much as possible without going thru the grip and you could push in on it and it would flex, so I filled cavaity in the backstrap with some marine-Tex and solved the problem..works fine no issues..

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope shouldn't be an issue I've done the same thing on mine, and have had no issues, now on my carry gun I took that back hump out as much as possible without going thru the grip and you could push in on it and it would flex, so I filled cavaity in the backstrap with some marine-Tex and solved the problem..works fine no issues..
Thanks, I'll get some Marine Tex. The 2 oz. size should be enough, right?

· Registered
2,269 Posts
Thanks, I'll get some Marine Tex. The 2 oz. size should be enough, right?
Should be plenty I ordered two just to be on safe side, only used one though, when you mix it don't use all the catalyst it makes it a little to runny and hard to get in the rear cavaity also make sure to use some playdoh up top where your trigger housing goes so nothing gets in that area... take your time and watch some YouTube vids on it? If needed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.