Frühstück in Dixie

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by General Sherman, Mar 30, 2005.

1. General Sherman

General Sherman

I cannot tell you how good Johnsonville brats are in grits for breakfast. Sort of frühstück in Dixie.
    The bratwursts from Johnsonville of Sheboygan Falls, WI now are available frozen and pre cooked. Eighty seconds in the microwave and bingo.
    Quaker makes great instant grits. Just add boiling water. No true Southerner would admit to using instant grits but they fly off the grocery shelves here in Atlanta along with Quaker instant oatmeal.

Some Colombian Supremo coffee completes the breakfast, not recommended by your cardiologist.

:)

2. Litefoot

Litefoot

Why would any self-respecting Southerner...especially one from Atlanta... call himself General Sherman? That's kind of like an Iraqi Kurd calling himself Saddam Hussein. Are you sure you're not a Yankee spy?

Edit: Never mind. Instant grits and sausage from Wisconsin...that says it all.

3. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

General... Do you cook them separately and just eat them together?
    I love grits AND Bratwurst, I never had them together tho...

Cause I'll bet if you cut the Brats into thick slices and sautéed them brown,
    then put them in a pot and added the Grits and ingredients, it would be really good...

I'd use real grits and let it all cook together for a while...
    I might try it for dinner so I wouldn't be in a hurry to get out the door...
    Lil' chopped Parsley at the end... yes yesssss...

I might try this soon...

Thanks...

;c

4. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

I'm sorry, I'm just not into grits. But........my favorite brats, are Johnsonville (original recipe), boiled in beer, then grilled, then returned to the beer, add chopped green peppers, onions, Heinz chili sauce, cook for 1/2 hour. Hot dog buns need to be really fresh. MMMM

5. chainshaw

chainshaw Georgia Gang

General Sherman,
    If you are in the Atlanta area, you need to visit Patak Bohemia in Austell. All of their Brats, Sausages, Salamis, etc. are made and smoked at their facility in Austell. The prices and quality are absolutely unbelievable.

The also have fresh cut meats that are almost half of the price of a grocery store.

Patak Meats

6. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

AHHHH!!! Yankee Habits in Georgia!!!

;f

7. General Sherman

General Sherman

I cut them up and place them cooked, in the grits.

Austell is a bit far from Dunwoody but if I make it to the area I will look at the sausages.

I buy them precooked and frozen and also raw to be smoked on charcoal and hickory. That is great eating, especially with sweetened "sourkraut", red potatoes and mustard. The sourkraut is rinsed drained and sweetened with Reisling wine, brown sugar, apple slices and Vidalia onions.

8. RetDet

RetDet Millennium Member

As a purist, I have to say that the only Bratwurst worth eating has to be bought in Germany, from a small stand. It is a white sausage taht is grilled on a flat griddle affair, right there on the street, or often in a doorway. It is served with a hard roll called a Broetchen, and a really good mustard called Loewensempf.

Nothing else is a bratwurst, regardless of what some strange company in Wisconsin (wherever that is) calls it.