close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fox Labs best brand of pepper spray?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jhmayhem, Apr 8, 2010.

1. jhmayhem

jhmayhem

I probably have to buy my mom a replacement for her pepper spray which is about to hit its five year mark, but I wanted to know really quick is Fox Labs still considered one of the best brands of pepper spray out there? Based on my limited research, another can of Fox Labs would be the safest choice but I am curious whether there are any others that I should consider.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Foxlab is good stuff... Don't know if you've been sprayed w/ it, but to me, it was pretty much death in a can.. :)

Freeze +P isn't quite as bad, but its certainly nothing to laugh at IMO..

IGF

3. jhmayhem

jhmayhem

I have never tested the spray out on myself, but I have sprayed a possum straight in the face before that was in my yard. The only feedback I got from it was the most ugliest howl I have ever heard in my life while it spasmed violently on the ground before it ran off into my neighbor's yard. It was hissing at me when I sprayed it and I think the stream got into it's mouth too.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

It's not really reliable as an animal repellant. A lot of animals have very different anatomy than humans, or in some cases, their predatory drive is a lot more intense...

IGF

5. jlavely

jlavely

I just ordered Vexor from Zarc Industries. It is some pretty nasty stuff, we spray tested it outside and walked through the mist, and it was a bad enough time. My friends and I have sprayed each other with cheaper peppersprays and that was bad enough so I didn't take the opportunity with Vexor yet.

But as far as my research goes, you cannot go wrong with Fox Labs. Also check out their mean green while you are looking. That way you get a visible die on the attacker.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  6. Vigilant

Vigilant

We Def Tec 10% inside the fence. I carry Fox 5.3 off duty.

Don't be too concerned about the 5 year mark. That is more for those who use it in the line of duty, with the associated wear and tear. You should be good for several more years.

7. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

Don't know if it's "the best", but it is suppose to be very good. I like the fact that you can buy the cans with the "safety" cover so it is harder to do something stupid with it.

Speaking of stupid. .

A few weeks ago I found a can of "Pocket Phaser - Pepper Spray" in a drawer. This can had to be 12+ years old. So I took it out into the back yard (we have a acre+), aimed it at the ground and started spraying, while walking backwards away from the direction I was spraying. . . Unfortunately, just then a breeze picked up and I got a mild dose of the spray in my face. Just a whiff actually. My eyes were reasonably ok, but I inhaled a small amount of the spray. For the next 10 minutes I sounded like a 5 pack-a-day smoker! :supergrin:

If I had gotten a full, in the face hit. . . I'm pretty sure I would have hit the ground like a bag of bricks. . .

8. Don H

Don H

9. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I like Piexon it has range and can cause blindness at very close range.

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

10. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

It's a good question since everyone says they are the best.
    I'm a firm believer in sprays. You can't shoot some idiot that comes up pounding on your hood challening you to a fight.
    You can spray him and then beat the crap out of him however!

I looked at a lot of training videos, and ended up with Sabre Red, but honestly the Fox seemed to have almost instantenous "knock down" power. Where the Sabre tended to get worse after about a minute.
    So I would like to get some Fox.

11. jhmayhem

jhmayhem

Thanks for all the feedback so far, I'm getting a lot of good information so far. I don't think I need to get rid of the older one just yet, but I will still probably get another one for myself.

12. PBCounty

PBCounty

I tried out some Sabre Red on an attacking dog....worked pretty damn good. Not that this contribution is worth much of anything. As far as Fox, I have no idea. I did know a guy who worked for Fox Labs however, and he was an *******. That's all I got.

13. Super Trucker

Super Trucker NRA Endowment Life Member

Where is a good place to buy Fox Labs 5.3?

14. RichJ

RichJ

Fox is supposed to be some hot stuff but...

The Fox website says the Fox 5.3 has 2% O.C.(Oleorsin Capsicum), The Sabre Red website says theirs has 10% O.C.

I've always heard Sabre Red was the hottest and would definitely light someones :moonie: up!

15. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Good topic. I have been thinking about starting to carry pepper spray, heard good things about Fox Labs. Since I live in a no CCW state all I carry for SD is a Benchmade folding knife. I would like to have the option of less than possibly lethal force.

What is a good way to carry pepper spray for fast deployment?

16. Don H

Don H

17. Don H

Don H

Not any hotter then fox.

http://www.foxlabs.com/nozzleheatfacts.pdf

18. RichJ

RichJ

Hmmm. That sounds good. The article explains the delayed response of the Sabre one of the other guys was talking about. Makes sense.

I was just looking at some of this stuff yesterday. I've been thinking about putting some in the door pocket of my truck since I had a run-in with a homeless guy in a parking lot a few weeks ago. I found a local Police supply store that sells Fox. I think I'll go by there tomorrow and get some.

By the way: Which is better, the fog or the stream?

19. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

Stream as it has better range.

20. jlavely

jlavely

stream or cone? you should be considering effectiveness over range. Stream puts a lot more product on your attacker than cone or fogger units. Always consider one thing though. If you think you can hit a guy's face in a high stress situation, go with stream. If you aren't to confident in your aiming abilities, get a cone or fogger kit. I usually recommend getting a cone or fogger, especially if you are getting it for your girlfriend, mother, wife, grandmother, etc. They are usually not so concerned with their aiming accuracy and just want to point, turn their head, shoot, and run.