close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Found this in a closet: Winchester 58

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by McCleary.11, Apr 4, 2010.

1. McCleary.11

McCleary.11 Skeet Skeet!

My dad found this .22 LR Winchester model 58 in my grandmother's closet over the weekend. It looks to be in good condition besides the crack in the stock. The inside of the barrel looks great. We took it out to the range today and shot about 100 rounds. It seemed pretty accurate shooting a few objects at 50-60 yards and was surprisingly fun for a tiny rifle.

Does anyone have any info on this? I haven't found many good sources on the net.

EDIT - I found that these were made between 1929 and 1933. I guess they have no serial numbers and about 40k were made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Very cool. I have an old Winchester .22 rifle that looks a little like that but its magazine fed from a 12 round box magazine and has an external safety. Got it from my grandfather before he passed away. He bought it in the 40s. Ill have to dig it out and post a pic.

3. pennlineman

pennlineman

Cool find. That Wincester is actually a bit on the scarce side. It reminds me of my Grandfathers .22. It looked a lot like that one, but I'm not certain if it is the same.

Every year he had an on going war with the groundhogs invading his garden. Once in a while he'd let me pop one. Overall we thought the ordeal was quite amusing. Everyone except him of course.

4. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

My dad's first gun that he got when he was a kid (in the 40's) looks very similar to this one, but his has a stock with a longer fore-end. His does have the exact same bolt with the button on the back end of it that you pull back with your thumb & fore finger to cock the firing pin. Dad still has it too.

5. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Very nice find.

I think everyone back then had a single shot to put food on the table.
    I ended up with a Remington #4 rolling block take down in 22LR from my grandfather.

6. 1911ShooterDude

1911ShooterDude

Sweet!!! 22 rifles are fun. Lots of rounds at near zero costs, and plenty of accuracy and you don't have to wear ear plugs. Eh, what you say....???? :)

7. eddief4

eddief4

Neat little gun, it's amazing to think that it's 80 years old:wow:

8. Brian Lee

Ok, now I've figured it out. THIS is the one my dad has, but it's built on the same action that your is. Notice the button on the rear end of the bolt that you use to cock it? It almost looks like yours is a child's version of the same gun, since this one has the adult sized stock.

9. McCleary.11

McCleary.11 Skeet Skeet!

What model is that? Yes, this one does have the button to pull back and cock it. This is definitely a youth model. Yours looks much more comfortable to shoot. I think this will stay in the safe until my wife and I have kids (a few years off) and will be a wonderful starting rifle.

10. Brian Lee

Sorry I don't know the model of it, but it is very comfortable for an adult to shoot. I emailed the pics of yours to my dad, but I don't know any more right, since I've not seen or shot his in almost 30 years (I lived far away from him for that long now). He got his when he was 10 (in 1947) and when I was old enough, I got to use it to hunt squirrels in the same woods where he did. They are a great rifle to start kids out with, because the bolt does not automatically cock the firing pin, allowing you to load it without cocking it. I don't think they are worth much money right now, but by the time you own kids are old, maybe they will be. Just remember to keep it oiled good to keep the rust off of it. They had no anti-corrosion coatings back then like a Glock has nowadays.

Dad will get a kick out of seeing yours because he probably knew other kids who had the child's model.

11. McCleary.11

McCleary.11 Skeet Skeet!

12. McCleary.11

McCleary.11 Skeet Skeet!

Anyone else have any info?