close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Found out I can search customers for CCW.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, Jun 13, 2012.

1. vart

vart

Had a meeting with our SIU(Special Investigations Unit) today.

They were coaching us adjusters on the tools available to gather information on customers in the event of a suspicious claim.

Using Lexis/Nexis we can search for dozens of categories of information, and one of those is CCW permits issued.

I found it interesting...

I was also astounded at the amount of info I could find on someone; names of neighbors, relatives to 6 degrees of separation, addresses used for magazine subscriptions, etc.

2. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

You can search IF they are in a database.

In CO not all sheriff will add people to the state database.

Edit:

http://www.co.weld.co.us/assets/7701Cc09Cd4B8a7c09Da.pdf

Excerpt:

"The biggest disagreement is on the entry of permit holders' name into a statewide database. In the concealed weapons law it is optional for the County Sheriff to enter the names into the database. Once again my position is clear and unyielding; I absolutely refuse to enter Weld County permit holders into the state computer system just because they legally exercise their rights.

It is my belief that government has no right to know who has a concealed weapons permit or who owns a gun. That's why I am so proud of the Weld County Sheriff's Office most recent milestone." - Sheriff John Cooke.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

3. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

From what I understand, Ohio doesn't make this a searchable database either.

Journalists have a right to know but cannot copy the records. Basically they go to the local sheriff, prove it is information to be used in a news story, view the records under supervision and then leave them there. No recording of the list is allowed.

4. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Interesting.

How does them exercising a RIGHT make their claim "suspicious"?!?!?

5. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Virginia did make the list available. Until some assclown from the Lynchburg paper endangered lives.

Many concerned citizens, including D. Scott Hewitt, got the law changed.

6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Oh, I thought you meant "search" them for a CCW. I was, like, "Whaaaaahhhhh?" And all "Huuhhhhhh?" And "Whadddup, Gestapo-Insurance-Company?"

7. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

I read the title the same way.

But, NEITHER the possession of a CCW, or the exercise of the right, should make a claim "Suspicious".

8. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

That's a money quote right there.

The government has no "right" to track how its citizens may or may not exercise their constitutional rights. Does the government have the right to track who does or does not go to church or to which church?

Now, in Louisiana, CHLs are issued by the State Police, so the DPS keeps the necessary database to process and validate the license. But that does not mean that other private groups, local governments or even the federal government has a right to know who has a CHL.

I also don't see how journalists think they have a right to have access to government records that contain Privacy Act data. The freedom of the press does not create a responsibility upon the government to provide the press with any and all information it wants to know. The freedom of the press simply grants them the right to report on whatever they discover in their journalistic efforts.

9. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I don't think that's how he meant it. What I got was that in the event of a suspicious claim he can do a detailed search of their records, and one of the data points that can come up is a CHL.

10. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Again, exercising a RIGHT does not make a claim, or anything else, "SUSPICIOUS"

11. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

But it may make someone less suspicious. The astute adjuster would know that a CHL holder has to maintain a pretty clean record in order to possess one.

Plus, LexisNexis is only about insurance. They provide research services to a wide variety of industries. They collect everything they can get their hands on and integrate it into marketable product for their customers.

12. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Vart,
    By suspicious claim, you mean...
    Me: "Vart, My boat sank and ALL my insured guns were on board. Send Money now."
    Vart: "Baba Louie, even your CCW piece as well?"
    Me: (I wonder how Vart knew about that? Wonder what else he knows?) "Maybe I better, rethink... I mean, er..., maybe I can salvage them. Never mind."

13. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Wow. He is talking about a claim being suspicious. Not the fact that someone has a permit. Like a fire claim would be suspicious.

Vart, I had a suspicious loss a couple of days ago that I had to meet with our SIU guy. When I got there it was in a pretty shady neighborhood. My SIU guy asked if I was carrying. I said back to him" I don't know, what is company policy?" He said "Good, me too"

14. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

The point is going so far over your head I'm not sure the two of you are in the same atmosphere.

15. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Read the thread and understand it... ;)

[​IMG]

16. nosuchagency

nosuchagency ...

lol. :thumbsup:

17. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

LOL...only Vart would come up with the title of this thread.

18. vart

vart

Nice...:supergrin:

19. Minnow

Minnow

Are you saying you can look up Concealed carry permit info on all clients in all 50 states or only the state your insurance company licenses you in? I was under the impression that TX CHL info was only available to L.E. agencies/DPS.

20. DaneA

DaneA

I'd venture to guess that lexis/nexis could tell you what someones blood pressure was today.

And for those of you :tinfoil: please reread the OP and :panties:. A CCL doesn't qualify anything as suspicious. The OP said that he could find that info out using lexis/nexis.