Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in around 2014, CZ imported to the USA literally a handful of pistols called the CZ75 Shadow Line. Unlike the Shadow series which were pure competition gun, the Shadow Line were service pistols but slicked up from the factory.

This Shadow Line branch of the family is known as The Three Sisters: 75, 75 Compact and 75 SP01. There’s a reason they’re called 75 and not 75B - no firing pin safety.

the big differences from the standard non-competition 75B family are: the aforementioned lack of firing pin block, fiber optic front and high profile rear, thin aluminum grips, distinctive hammer AND most significantly, factory tuned trigger. There are some other minor things like polished steel recoil spring rods, nickel plated trigger, nickel plated magazines, etc.

Anyway, a handful of these Shadow Lines had been brought in throughout the years and without fanfares. They were usually sold through a couple of selected distributors and CZ Custom in Arizona plus Cajun Gun Work. I’ve heard about them and seen pictures but didn’t come across one till today.

This Compact is obviously no longer original, hence my comment about broken horn unicorn. The previous owner milled the slide and mounted the Trijicon SRO (at least it wasn’t a Chinese red dot) plus cerakote the frame. I can understand milling the slide for red dot but I am befuddled by the logic of cerakote the frame. The factory poly coat was handsome and durable.

Anyway, I got the package for what I thought was a really decent price. MSRP on this gun was around $1100 plus or minus a few bucks. The SRO was around $500-600. Slide milling (hopefully the smithy did a good job) and cerakote probably added $300 to the tally.

I got it for $800 cash. My reasonings were simple: this gun was a unicorn and now that unicorn is marred. I’m taking the chance on the milled slide and the cerakote work, plus any collectible value of this gun is probably gone. As far as I’m concerned, I’m getting a well appointed shooter at best.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Why CZ called this gun a 75 Compact instead of a P01 (which is a 75 Compact with rail), I don’t know.

Other than the iron sights, the massaged trigger pulls and distinctive hammer, the Shadow Line differs from the P01 with the use of full size 75/75B slide release lever AND slim lined ambidextrous thumb safety. I also don’t understand the slim lined thumb safety lever. Is it for concealability? Because it sure as heck ain’t for quick deactivation.

I wonder what CZ thought of when they came out with the Shadow Line series? Are these guns supposed to be service pistols that have enough refinement to compete with? Are they even service pistols any more? Especially consider the Shadow Line Compact with the slim lined thumb safety AND oversized, extended mag release. One can argue that the slime thumb safety won’t rub against your body for CCW, but then who CCW a gun with oversized, extended mag release? That’s just asking for an untimely and unplanned magazine departure.

Anyway, in the end, I don’t care. I got me a cool toy that should be a good blaster. I’m going to mount a laser/tactical light on it and put it in my home defense pistol stash.

·
Registered
21,085 Posts
Is the SRO mounted on a plate? Seems really tall on that gun.

Sounds like you found a good deal. I'd like to find something like that too. I like the CZ line.

Also I'd guess the reason it was cerakoted was because of the milling. That way the exposed metal was covered.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the SRO mounted on a plate? Seems really tall on that gun.

Sounds like you found a good deal. I'd like to find something like that too. I like the CZ line.

Also I'd guess the reason it was cerakoted was because of the milling. That way the exposed metal was covered.
The frame got cerakote. The slide still has the original poly coating. The SRO sits on some sort of plate that has the built-in rear iron sight. Speaking of which, the front sight is still the original low mount fiber optic and not a suppressor height front sight.

Why would you put in a suppressor height rear sight but not a front to go with it? IDK. It’s a used and modified gun, you either accept it as is or you don’t buy it.

·
Come on man!!
16,209 Posts
Interesting, just free-balling it here but I wouldn't think the design was meant for duty use here in the U.S. where we give a **** about accidentally shooting people and where you can get in big trouble for doing such. There's a reason the B designation exists and a poor guy at a match recently found that out the hard and dead way when someone else dropped a 75 variant, leading to an AD and a death.

I would not carry that gun if I were you. The gun has a few miles on it, what does the barrel look like?

·
Federal Member
29,478 Posts
Congrats.

Reactions: Colt38SuperDude

·
Registered
15,973 Posts
I much prefer the safety like a 1911 over a decocker that is on the P01. I like the CZ line. I have a SAR kinda clone that is nicely built. They are pretty friendly towards Police as well at least the folks at the TTPOA conference were. There are so many variants, it is hard to keep up with.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting, just free-balling it here but I wouldn't think the design was meant for duty use here in the U.S. where we give a **** about accidentally shooting people and where you can get in big trouble for doing such. There's a reason the B designation exists and a poor guy at a match recently found that out the hard and dead way when someone else dropped a 75 variant, leading to an AD and a death.

I would not carry that gun if I were you. The gun has a few miles on it, what does the barrel look like?
The gun looks like it’s hardly shot internally. The outside has some minor wear and that’s about it.

And no, if it’s not a snubbie, it’s not my carry gun.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Geez that red dot is sitting obnoxiously high. I am sure it is a good shooter but that dot above bore axis on that one would have killed the deal for me. What is the point of the tall plate with integrated rear sight if the front sight is still the short stock height sight?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Geez that red dot is sitting obnoxiously high. I am sure it is a good shooter but that dot above bore axis on that one would have killed the deal for me. What is the point of the tall plate with integrated rear sight if the front sight is still the short stock height sight?
You’ll have to ask the original owner. I don’t know who he or she was and I don’t profess to know their minds.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Tell me about this accidental discharge from a CZ 75. I just bought a CZ 75 P-01 urban gray suppressor-ready

·
Come on man!!
16,209 Posts
Tell me about this accidental discharge from a CZ 75. I just bought a CZ 75 P-01 urban gray suppressor-ready
A competitor with a CZ 75 Shadow dropped his gun when he was holstering after the load and make ready command. The gun struck the ground and discharged, with the projectile striking and killing a range officer.

The reason I say I wouldn't carry a CZ that is not drop safe is simply that if you do have to use your gun in a defensive scenario there may be circumstances in which the police order you to drop your gun. That could make a really bad situation even worse.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ok, thanks. Yep, that's it. Love the color and everyone I talk to says CZ's are great. I'll be going to the range later this week

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A competitor with a CZ 75 Shadow dropped his gun when he was holstering after the load and make ready command. The gun struck the ground and discharged, with the projectile striking and killing a range officer.

The reason I say I wouldn't carry a CZ that is not drop safe is simply that if you do have to use your gun in a defensive scenario there may be circumstances in which the police order you to drop your gun. That could make a really bad situation even worse.
Thanks for the link.

A. I would not holster a gun without looking at the holster to make sure that the gun is properly seated. I know that a lot of cool commando and/or competition cats do, but I’ll never be that cool.

B. I believe in one of my other threads, somebody said that they’d be willing to carry a CZ competition pistol for self defense. Well, there’s a reason why competition guns are made for competition, and service guns are made for service guns.

Anyway, the lack of firing pin safety aside on the Shadow Line family, the trigger pull in SA mode is ridiculously light. It’s the same trigger pull as in the Shadow competition family. I’m sure that some cool commando cum hard core competitor wouldn’t mind that light trigger for carry/self-defense but I’m not that cool.

This gun is like many of my other guns - bought at Damn good price to fulfill my inner child’s needs for big boy toys.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, thanks. Yep, that's it. Love the color and everyone I talk to says CZ's are great. I'll be going to the range later this week
Nothing is truly drop safe (SIG Sauer P320, ahem...), but at least the firing pin safety adds another layer of security blanket.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
It may be a dehorned unicorn, but it still looks sharp.
I bet its a good shooter too.

Reactions: Colt38SuperDude
1 - 20 of 25 Posts