Found a PF 9

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by motorcyclist, Mar 16, 2010.

1. motorcyclist

motorcyclist

I guess it's karma. Haven't been able to deside what to pocket carry and have been looking at everything from LCR's to Kahr's. Only one I couldn't find was Kel Tec's PF 9 to see how it fit in my pocket as they're always sold out around here. Last night I almost bought a no lock 442 on gun broker. Almost, but just couldn't because it wasn't what I really wanted. In between calls today I was passing the gun store were I bought my sub 2000 and stopped. When I asked about a PF 9 he said I got one that a guy on the waiting list (you never told me about a waiting list for PF 9's!) has been called 3 times and still hasn't picked it up. Black grip, blued slide (I'd love a hard crome!), told me $340 out the door with a extra mag. Walked out the door 10 minutes later with a Kel Tec box in my hands. I'll be at the indoor range Saterday. Let y'all know how it shoots.

2. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Holster Maker

I've only taken mine to the range once, and it sure is one snappy SOB.

Not a bad gun though, just not sure if it works any better than my S&W 340PD.

3. failsafe

failsafe

I have found that a Hogue jr handall grip really is a necessity, you might want to pick one up for extended range session's...

4. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

I have one, and agree it's not a range toy. But it will shoot out 7 rounds if needed...

5. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Good idea to clean up all of the frame molding lines with an exacto knife. Be careful to get the molding lines out of the inside of the trigger guard.

6. JayAK

JayAK

I love the PF9.

The PF9 in a stmcelroy holster is my favorite carry combo. I keep it in the front pocket of my jeans. It works great!

:cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  7. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Holster Maker

Glad to hear it's working for you. I need to get out to the range and shoot my PF-9 some more, who knows I could end up carrying it this summer.

8. unit1069

unit1069

I've had better luck with my second Kel-Tec than I did with my first.

The PF-9 I have has turned out to be amazingly accurate for me. (Believe me, I'm not a marksman) The best ammo I've found is Fiocchi Extrema 115-grain XTP, but everybody has his/her own favorite round. I've had a small handful of FTEs over about 1,000 round. Not really a concern to me because I haven't done a thing to it. No fluff and buff. Nothing.

The FTEs were not even a blip in the first few hundred rounds, then I noticed they began coming about every 100+ rounds with WWB. I checked out the pistol and it looked like the plastic follower had worn. Kel-Tec mailed me one at no charge and since then I haven't had any FTEs, but then again I haven't been to the range much. I do need to get to the range more, but I've been on a personal ammo boycott in order to "stick it to the Man".

I still like the idea of a striker-fired small CCW pistol but it would have to be as convenient as the KT. I had the PF-9 with me last night at a co-workers retirement party trying out a gun/IWB combo. Halfway through the party I put the pistol into my front pocket because it chafed. Not blaming the gun, mind you. I kept my shirt tail out because the PF-9's butt has a way of finding itself visible. I asked a friend if he could tell I was packing; he was surprised when I told him. (He's one of four people who know I have a CCW)

The KT has a long trigger pull and if I don't release it all the way back after firing it won't discharge the following round. I never have this concern with my striker-fired pistols and to date this is the only thing I wish was different about the Kel-Tec.

9. yerscattergun

yerscattergun

Congrats on the KelTec, now go sell it and hope that 442 is still
    for sale. At least it will go bang when you need to protect your family.

I guess that's kinda harsh, I hope it works out for you. :supergrin: They are a great concept, but I have zero confidence in the reliabilty of KelTec products...IMHO of course. :wavey:

10. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

A couple of local LEOs that use the same gun shop I bought some as BUGs. They both brought them back a few weeks later. Said they shot flawlessly through the first 200 rounds and then started having problems. They got them back this weekend but I havent heard from either if the problems were fixed or not. I am sure I will talk to both this weekend though.

11. JayAK

JayAK

I have 500 rounds of ball through mine and 150 rounds of HST.......
    No problems here.....

12. JayAK

JayAK

It is so flat it makes a great pocket gun.

:cool:

13. motorcyclist

motorcyclist

I forgot to report back! Went to the range this past Sunday. All I did before was break it down to find it rather clean inside. Shot some Rem oil in it and blew out the excess. Ran 125 rounds of Monarch (sports academy brand) 115FMJ and Rem express 115FMJ through it with 2 FTE's, both with my son in the first mag he shot. Told him he's letting his wrist break and letting the muzzle flip really high. It ran perfect after that. Surprisingly very accurate. I stopped at 125 rounds because my hand was hurting pretty good. This is not range toy. Recoil is stout, but we're talking tiny 9mm here! I like it and think it's gonna be a good one. I've ordered a JS pocket holster for it. It and my CWP should be along in about 3 weeks, time enough to run more and different rounds through it.
    Say what you will about Kel Tec. People told me they're junk but I bought a sub 2000 anyway as a toy and it's been dead reliable. Had a manager that has carried a P3AT in his pocket for years and it has never failed. I've met lots with Hi Point carbines that swear by them. I had a friend buy a S&W from the performance shop and have the cylinder lock up the first time he pulled the trigger. I guess you pay your money and take your chances.