Glock Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a used G20 today for $369. I'm not sure which gen it is except that it is NOT a Gen 4 and it does not have a light rail. Previous owner has installed green fiber-optic sights. I think the reason for the low price is that the PO also covered the grip with fuzzy tape. Like suede or flock. Doesn't feel bad, but it'll be coming off. I assume I'll have some tape residue to deal with. What do you think will work well and not attack the frame?

I didn't bring it home because the Cabela's where I found it takes forever to finish a gun sale and I had to be somewhere else, so I put it on layaway. I bought this for GSSF. Will the sights need to be changed back to factory for that? Anything else I should watch out for on a used G20? I'm not new to guns and buy used almost exclusively, so I'm really asking about things specific to the G20. I guess I'll have an armorer check it out before my next GSSF match, too. I already have a S&W 1076 and have owned several other 10mm pistols before and I'm set up for reloading.

Rob

· Registered
10,527 Posts
I've always used goo gone for getting glue residue off, I'd be surprised if it damaged the frame in any way, since I've used it on plastics countless times, and it's never done anything except leave an oily residue behind, but that's easily washed off with soap and water.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always used goo gone for getting glue residue off, I'd be surprised if it damaged the frame in any way, since I've used it on plastics countless times, and it's never done anything except leave an oily residue behind, but that's easily washed off with soap and water.
Hmm. Was just doing some reading and I think the what's one there is the AGrip system. I'd never heard of it before, much less seen it before. Maybe I'll leave it on for a bit to see if I like it.

Rob

· Registered
10,527 Posts
If it were me, I'd leave it on there too. Put some rounds down range with it first, before you take it off, just in case you end up liking it. And, if you don't like it, then heat it up with a hair dryer, take it off, and use goo gone on any residue.

· Registered
3,252 Posts
Will the sights need to be changed back to factory for that?
Rob
I took this from the GSSF magazine, section 40.30, re sights. You can use your fiber optic if you want. Try them and see if you like them.
"• Post and notch sights (“patridge” sights) excluding
any sight requiring slide modifications. Please note
that fiber-optic and “express” sights are approved."

Dave

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is not a stolen gun, right?
Buying it from Cabelas, so I'd say no.

Thanks for the confirmation on the sights. I recall reading in the rules SOMETHING about fiber optic sights, but didn't remember if they were expressly allowed or forbidden. I refreshed myself on the rules and the sights and AGrip should be good to go.

Rob

· Registered
9,061 Posts
Gotta be a Gen2 with no rail. That baby has been around a while. While the price initially sounds cheap, it's more than it cost new and you can find Gen3's like new for the mid $400's. Is someone's old gun worth that much less? Unless it's been put away in a safe I'd go with a newer one.

· U S Veteran
2,472 Posts
Looks like you lucked out. Congrats.

· McCroskey
74 Posts
Gotta be a Gen2 with no rail. That baby has been around a while. While the price initially sounds cheap, it's more than it cost new and you can find Gen3's like new for the mid $400's. Is someone's old gun worth that much less? Unless it's been put away in a safe I'd go with a newer one.
I wouldn't say that he paid more than it cost new. I paid $466 for my new Glock 19 Gen 2 in 1990 and $400 for my barely used Glock 20 Gen 2 I got from a friend in 1992. I believe he paid about the same as I paid for my 19 when he got it new earlier in 1992.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I picked it up today and it gets better! One of the guys helping me remembered that there was a case for it, even though the tag said there was not. He went in back and found the original "tupperware" box and secure inside was the cleaning rod, mag loader and second mag! Yes! The gun seems to be "like new". And the sights are both fiber-optic AND tritium! Pretty awesome deal, I think!

Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts