Found a dog, can't find an owner!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Z71, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Z71

Z71

My wife called me about 4 weeks ago about a dog she saw running loose on the road to our house. She tried to check him out but the dog ran off. I looked for the dog, a boxer, but couldn't find him. My oldest daughter found him, opened her car door and he jumped in. She took him to my wife.

Well, thats been about a month back. We have looked and called and ran newspaper ads, and no owner. Some asking around at local vets and the animal control officer has produced nothing either. Dog had a collar but no tags. I think the poor dog got ditched. A crying shame because he is a beautiful, well behaved dog. Perfectly boxer marked, and well dispositioned.

The boxer was terribly skinny, actually weak and in poor physical shape. I think he may be as much as 6 or 7 years old. We got him checked over, flea and tick dipped and had him vaccinated. Wanted him safe to keep near our dogs.

As near as I can tell from talking to people, he has probably been running loose most of the winter and spring! I haven't seen him myself until the day my daughter found the poor guy. But others have described him perfectly, running around the local town, and running around our area weeks previous to being found.

Definatly not a dog used to being feral! Has adapted to life at my house with zero problems! Still looks skinny, but not if you had seen him before(he was bad skinny)! Seems healthy, except his teeth are poor, needs soft food.

I'm tired of looking for an owner! The dog has a knot on his cheek that needs looked at, and if I pay to get that fixed I'm keeping the boxer(Louie). Already have 2 boxers, a black lab, a miniture dachsund, and a mongrel dog too. Don't need another dog!

I just can't imagine why someone would abandon a nice perfectly marked boxer dog, especialy one that is near perfectly behaved too! A boxer ain't a cheap dog, selling for $350-$450 for perfect marked puppys around here.

Leaves me in a bit of a moral quandry! Keep looking for an owner, or fix the dogs cheek problem and keep old Louie.

What would you folks do in our position?

Thanks, Stevie.

2. G20man32904

G20man32904 Guest

He has already claimed you as a good Alpha, welcome him, into your pack. :thumbsup: :)

3. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Well, what's another dog if you already have 5? ;)

If he's been running the streets for that long, chances are you'll never find the owner. Take him for good. He needs a break.

4. 220-9er

220-9er

Our Aussie female was a dumped dog that showed up at our house one day. Collar, no tag. Best dog I've ever had.
    At this point I would say he's yours. If the former owner did half of the things you did he would have found him by now. I doubt anyone is looking though.

5. Magicmanmb

Magicmanmb RIP BUDDY

We've had 6 dumped around our neighborhood. Found homes for all except the 2 that adopted my wife. As long as the other dogs accept him what's one more. Also if you have a college near you with a vet school you can sometimes get reduced rates on basic care or illness they consider teaching cases.

6. Z71

Z71

I suppose we are going to keep him. Nobody is looking for a boxer.

I have a suspect for who's dog Louie was. Some folks had a boxer, but now don't have a boxer, and don't seem interested in looking at Louie to see if he is their boxer? Claim the description doesn't match their dog, although a neighbor of theirs said it does?

Oh well. I'm done looking, wife has dropped the newspaper ad.

I've been letting Louie stay in the gameroom at night, and had no accidents yet. Let him gain a little more weight, then I'll take him in and get his knot removed.

Having some problems getting him to recognize his new name! Louie obviously wasn't named Louie at his previous home. And while he talks like my other boxers do, I can't understand him either! Boxers are the only dogs I've had experience with that actually attempt to talk like people. They just ain't got the right vocal cords to do very good at it.

Thanks for the replys.

7. PeterJasonMN

PeterJasonMN ****

We had a dog for about 17 years that was a dump dog. We had a huge blizzard over the course of a few days, and when the snow let up, these people drove up in front of our house, stopped, and tossed something out the window.

I told my dad to go see what it was, and it turned out to be a little chihuahua mix puppy. It looked like a GSD that had been shrunk in the wash.

That damn dog was wonderful, and smart as hell (Even more so for being part chihuahua). From how you described it, I wouldn't search too hard for that dog's "rightful" owner.

8. Mak Maven

Mak Maven Lifetime Member

< ------------- We took in a dumped dog in Jan. A purebred cocker spaniel.She just adopted us too.
    Best dog i ever had. Fully potty trained 7 yrs. old. Found out her age and other info., when we took her to rescue league and found out she had a chip embedded.
    Rescue called owner, bottom line we think owner no longer wanted her. Lotsa' dumps where we live as it's an equestrian community.

9. mattellis2

mattellis2

our springer talks to us. his name is rowdy, but we call him mr. grumbles because of the way he carries on. it is really cute!

-matt

10. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Guest

I would keep him. I would give all the local pounds and shelters my information in case the owner ever came looking. You can always look into boxer rescue foundations. I used to have a boxer. Great dogs, impossible not to love.