close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fouling Shot

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by doctabako, Jul 24, 2004.

1. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

As competition shooters we know that a freshly cleaned barrel has a different point of impact than a barrel that has had a few rounds pass through it. The first shot fired through a clean barrel is called a "fouling shot". In matches specially in fun shoots where you have more leeway its always a good idea to fire a few rounds before you get in the heat of actual competition. I personally get around this by practicing a day before a competition and not cleaning the barrel until after the competition. Some people just don't clean their barrels at all(just the chamber)until accuracy suffers due to the leading.Any thoughts?

2. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

I've never really noticed accuracy of a first shot from a clean barrel. Although i'm really not accurate in the first place...hehe;f

3. ogiebb

ogiebb

cleaning whats that??? he he i used to be so superstitious about cleaning my gun before a match;g (DUH)..as per wil shuemann he doesnt really think any accuracy is suffered due to a dirty barrel. i think i read this at his site or the BE forums ..i really dont clean my Guns as often as before i just wipe some dirt from the feedramp and add a little more oil or Slide Glide and im done for the whole month also a Snake bore does Wonders for me..well of course its also a matter of personal preference hinde na kasi ako ganun ka hilig humimas ng pistolas he he he ...nice blaster docT;) hope to shoot with you guys in a few months:cool: :cool: :cool:

4. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Probably not even half as nice as that open blaster you're putting together. Be sure to post pics when you finally have it set-up. Yeah, hope I can shoot with you and the rest of our group so I can pick up a few pointers from the masters:)

5. ogiebb

ogiebb

hope I can shoot with you and the rest of our group so I can pick up a few pointers from the masters:) [/B][/QUOTE]

Nakupo DocT napakarami pa po Bigas na kakainin ko para makarating dun;f ;f ;f

6. jerrytrini

jerrytrini

Bullseye shooters do not clean their barrels as often. They believe that parts tend to get loose from constant disassembly/reassembly hence accuracy suffers.

7. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

i think it's the bullet seating in the chamber that makes the bullet impact out of zero. specially when you don't let the slide go into battery on its own accord.

in between stages, i find running the bore snake makes my pistol shoot a little "softer". psychological lang siguro but shooters are superstitious.

when i get home, i clean the pistol more out of fear of rust forming, what with the high humidity here in the islands. the barrel just gets a pass with patches to clean the chamber and ramp of unburnt residue.

8. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Could be one of the factors, but I think it has more to do with the bore solvent and oil residues and the way the slug behaves with them on the first 1-5 shots specially if your bore is very slick with excess oil.:)

9. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

docT: hmm, baka nga kaya. i never oil the chamber and inside of the barrel. i just apply a thin film of Mobil 1 oil around the outside of the barrel. i was taught by my gunsmith that the inside must be dry. i run a patch until all the solvent is out of the bbl.

10. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Used to believe the fouling shot, too, when I was still fond of cleaning my barrels. Now that I don't clean them, I've pretty much forgotten abot this issue.

Thinking back, I noticed some accuracy issues with my sparklingly clean barrel esp. with FMJ. But I have to admit, I didn't do any bench testing to rule out the 'nut' factor holding the gun. ;f