close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fouling in Bore

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bigGrease, Apr 15, 2012.

1. bigGrease

bigGrease

Couple of questions:

Does anyone know if Remington UMC is fully jacketed or if it has an exposed base? Shot a few hundred out of my 19 the other day, and when I was cleaning it, there is some fouling caused by the ammo that could possibly be lead.

The bottom line is I let the barrel soak in Ballistol for at least 2 hours and still can't get the mess out. It could be carbon fouling, but I've never had carbon be as bull-headed as this is. Anyone got any suggestions? I remember reading something about lead away patches, but it appears they've been discontinued.

If it is carbon, I guess I'll go buy a brass brush and some old Hoppe's solvent, because the nylon brushes just ain't cutting it. I'm having a hard time believing it's simple carbon buildup, though. I've never had stubborn fouling like this in any of my barrels. Any insight?

2. vis35

vis35

Remington describes the UMC ammo as “Metal Case”, another name for Full Metal Jacket. The lead core is exposed at the rear of the bullet but the bearing surface of the bullet that rubs on the bore is gilding metal, you should not be getting lead fouling.
    Ballistol is marketed as a CLP, Cleaner, Lubricant and Preservative. In reality it is an excellent preservative, a fair lubricant and not much of a cleaner. Hoppe’s #9 is also a CLP; it is a better cleaner, not much of a lube or preservative. There are much better cleaners than Hoppe’s, Gunzilla is a better cleaning CLP and is non-toxic too. Shooter’s Choice or Butch’s Bore Shine are both better bore cleaners that Ballistol, Hoppe’s or Gunzilla.

3. MikeG36

MikeG36

If it is lead, you may need to get out the brush.

As Hickok45 stated in one of his videos - the more you use it the more it's like seasoning an old pan. There seems to be some truth to this as I'm finding out first hand.

Good luck!!

4. voyager4520

voyager4520

I like Ballistol but it's not a very good cleaner, I still use Hoppe's #9 and a phosphor bronze brush for the bore of the barrel and the breech face of the slide. After I'm done with the bronze brush I use a nylon brush to clean away the bronze residue.

I've been thinking about getting a bullet puller, I have a few rounds that have some apparent defects in the casing and I don't want to fire them, it'd be a good way to tell if the bullet has an exposed lead base as well.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012