close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Forum snobs...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, Aug 12, 2017.

1. vart

vart

Since buying a Jeep a couple of months ago, I've been making some mods here and there and joined a Jeep forum.

The information there has been extremely valuable, but I ran into a phenomenon that I had heard of but never seen.

Forum snobs.

It's like a group of high school girls that get all catty and pretentious if you don't mod your Jeep the exact way THEY think it should be.

I've heard of that sort of thing on forums for ricers and crotch rockets, but figured Jeepers would be a little more mature.

It's nice that GT has very little of that... If someone mods their firearm in a way that most people think is ridiculous; there is always someone who says they like it and offers an encouraging word.

2. Binge&Purge

Binge&Purge Making B&P Great Again

Thanking G-d Hillary Lost and for the ignore list
    You've never seen forum snobs? Really?

3. Csv

Csv

Jeep forums are the worst. Talk about elitist jagoffs. I used to frequent a few but couldn't stand some of their crap. There are good people in them but usually drowned out by the tools

jame and 9jeeps like this.
  4. powernoodle

powernoodle

Snobs, in a general sense, are profoundly insecure. Their insecurity manifests as snobbery in a vain attempt to appear superior.

GT lads generally have no inferiority complex, so there is not much snobbery. Strong opinions and other infirmities, no doubt, but not much snobbery.

:dog::dog::dog:

dudel, Inyo Tim, Dr. Bill and 10 others like this.
  5. 9jeeps

9jeeps

I got off the jeep magazines and web sites years ago. For the very reasons you are telling.

One can over mod their Jeeps just like GLOCKS.
    Fortunately I saved thousands of bucks just by not buying into both cultures.

Both Jeeps and guns are amazingly capable bone stock!!!

I always drove my new Jeeps to see what they needed for what I liked to do. 99.9% of the time it was limited to tires and a portable winch.

More important was tools for obstacles. Like a chain saw, hi lift jack , a 'no hooks', tow strap, tire puncture kit,,,,, small first aid kit and a cooler full of ice and water. Baloney and a loaf of bread with a squirter of mustard and Ketchup. If you are with a group,,, Two way radios.

orangejeep06, dudel, Csv and 5 others like this.
  6. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Oddly, Mustang forums are rather benign.

That's kinda weird, now that I think about it.

7. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

The AMC bunch is the worst. I'm talking Javelins, AMX,s etc.

8. rj1939

rj1939

I just recently joined a forum that I had run across some time back. I was researching info on building a YJ frame from scratch. I should have the time soon and certainly have the equipment to pull it off.
    I haven't seen anything on there derogatory, but haven't been there that long........................ have been in the "hardcore" section..........they do things that are way out there. I've finally made it through an extensive thread on another YJ build, it is extreme and the builder is very capable.
    My boy's will be more subtle, but will culminate in a diesel conversion, hopefully at some point. Still looking at options in that area.

9. K. Foster

K. Foster

You see that in most hobby or activity-centric discussions. There’s always that guy, that tells you you’re wrong if you aren’t doing things his way. It’s worse on the internet because 1) Nobody gets punched in the face for being rude. 2) You never know if you’re talking to an adult or a 14 year old in their mom’s basement.
    That’s just life.

10. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

yes this is a bad thing of the jeep forums. I do not post on any forum save GT (that says something), but browse many. jeeps and truck ones mostly. even on FB on similar pages, jeep/ford diesel pages, the jeep owners will $hit talk fellow people asking for advice, opinions, etc. Hop on the diesel page and you have people saying your 86 beat to hell truck is beautiful and offering advice.

9jeeps and pgg00 like this.
  11. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

stop it I am getting jealous... 4BT?
    I'd ditch my truck if I had the time, money and wherewithal to do that swap into my YJ. on second thought, maybe not :)

12. vart

vart

Apparently, the Hi-Lift jack I bought was the wrong color...

13. rj1939

rj1939

Isuzu 4BD1 or 2 is the Holy Grail of conversions.....................It is where I started.................I developed an appreciation of them from work, absolutely unstoppable. However, there are some others that are out there.
    I was looking the other night and ran across Kubota conversions that are much more economical and plentiful, has to have a turbo added though. Cummins 3.3 is real promising and smoother than the B4 that is popular

40 miles to the gallon from a Jeep is impressive

arkdweller22 and 9jeeps like this.
  14. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

"It's nice that GT has very little of that... If someone mods their firearm in a way that most people think is ridiculous; there is always someone who says they like it and offers an encouraging word."

If I see someone who mods their firearm in a way that most people think is ridiculous I'm not about to offer any encouragement but I don't see the point of making any comment at all. Unless! it's someone talking about putting a safety on a Glock.:crazy:

Dr. Bill likes this.
  15. Valmet

Valmet M76Valmet

I frequent a few gun forums aside from this one (longtime Falfiles member, as well as S&W forum and Ruger forum) and I find all to be overall pretty easy-going compared to the likes of ARF and occasionally HKPro as those forums tend to lean heavily towards the "tactical" crowd as their weapons platforms go. I think we've got a really good group here on GT.

Grandfather owned a 1973 CJ-5 that I used to drive and tinker with, would've likely agreed with you on the Jeep snob thing were I a forum frequenter in those days (late-1990s).

captcurly likes this.
  16. moeman

moeman

Look it's your Jeep and your $....

That said did you look into winches and doo-dads?

17. Binge&Purge

Binge&Purge Making B&P Great Again

Thanking G-d Hillary Lost and for the ignore list
    I don't know why they would think themselves elitist. I've never known someone who owned a Jeep (the original rag top type) who wasn't a punk POS.

captcurly likes this.
  18. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

You had me until ketchup. On a baloney sandwich?

19. droidfire

droidfire

obviously never seen a "how to crayon your glock" thread...

Valmet likes this.
  20. vart

vart

I'm on three other firearms sites and have never had any issues. I tried one particular AR-centric site once a few years ago, though, and found it to be pretty unpleasant.