Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, been a Glock 23 owner for about 15 yrs now, I'll admit I wasn't too fond at first because of its recoil but as the years went by, I got more and more attached to it and became pretty proficient with it. Now after all these years I'm in the market for my 2nd Glock, not looking for a 27 or 26. My 23 will always be my "war gun," "zombie gun" etc. I want to get a 19 but does that even make sense since I can buy an aftermarket barrel and switch?! Well here's the thing. Ive shot a 19 barrel on my 23 and ive had about 7k rnds on it without ever a hiccup and when i did that, it stovepiped on me 2x within the 30 shots I fired so I lost my confidence in doing that. Why not get a 22 you ask, well it took a long time for me to get used to my 23 and I love my 23 and have nothing against the 40cal but I'm looking for a 9mm for range use and for fun.. And as a back up. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Hello, been a Glock 23 owner for about 15 yrs now, I'll admit I wasn't too fond at first because of its recoil but as the years went by, I got more and more attached to it and became pretty proficient with it. Now after all these years I'm in the market for my 2nd Glock, not looking for a 27 or 26. My 23 will always be my "war gun," "zombie gun" etc. I want to get a 19 but does that even make sense since I can buy an aftermarket barrel and switch?! Well here's the thing. Ive shot a 19 barrel on my 23 and ive had about 7k rnds on it without ever a hiccup and when i did that, it stovepiped on me 2x within the 30 shots I fired so I lost my confidence in doing that. Why not get a 22 you ask, well it took a long time for me to get used to my 23 and I love my 23 and have nothing against the 40cal but I'm looking for a 9mm for range use and for fun.. And as a back up. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Welcome from Northern Indiana enjoy the conversation

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
If you switch out the extractor and ejector you may get better results with the conversion to 9mm. If you just want to get another Glock, I can't blame you. In that case, a G19 would allow you to transfer your skills with the 23 directly. A G17 or G45 would be very good options, though the grip is a bit different feeling.

·
Director of civil unrest
10,329 Posts
Gen. 4 19 is what you want. Best gen. of the 19 in my book. Hell, it's my EDC!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the reply, pls note that I'm from this foreign state called California so my options are very limited. Here we are allowed to only carry throwing rocks, 30 grams max, anything over is "scary" for the liberal majority.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I wouldn’t hesitate to add the 19. I think they compliment each other well. I own both a 19 and 23 gen 4. I like having both and enjoy shooting both. I also like that I can use the same holsters and mag pouches for either. Good luck and be sure to let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am a big fan of the 19. Have had many through the years. I also am a fan of the 40 sw. I owned a 19, 26, 23 and a 27 at the same time. I never did get the mags mixed up but saw real quick that I needed to do something so I wouldn’t get the magazines mixed up. Sadly I sold the 23 and 27. I now own HK in 40 and Glock in 9mm and 45. The 19 is a great pistol and I own 2 of them. I recently purchased a mod. 45 mos and while I don’t ccw it much it has become my nightstand gun with light and rmr. My eyesight not so good anymore so this setup works great for me. I do not own a 26 anymore so my next Glock is going to be a mod27. If you picked up a 27 you could use your 23 mags in it. But I do get wanting a 9mm. Cheaper to shoot, less recoil and with proper bullet, just as deadly. Good luck and really don’t think you can go wrong getting any Glock. I would add that I own , 9,40, and 45. If the crap hits the fan, chances are I would be able to find one of those calibers. Nothing wrong with owning different calibers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,515 Posts
I believe in comie-fornia you can only buy gen 2 and gen 3 glocks.
I believe you are correct. Don’t recall the lame reason, but Kalifornia does limit what Glocks can be purchased.

·
1911 lover
10,157 Posts
Calif demanded all sorts of new tech for new model guns being sold. Some sort of id printed on bullet and brass. Since nobody is doing that stuff no new models of stuff are allowed. If glock had guts say only old model glocks for citizens and no police or law enforce sales in california .. so no deals for law enforce guns in calif.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I would get something different in size , like the 43 . It would give you different options of dressing for CC .

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
If you like your 23 you're going to love a 19, don't hesitate or go with something that may not work with a barrel conversion.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Not just a 19, but a Gen 5 19 MOS FS

2 reasons for that model.

It is much more likely to have the breach face cut that gives excellent ejection, even with the weakest ammo.

You are ready for a red dot as your eyes get older or you just want to try one. For me, the red dot negates the benefits of a longer sight radius in say a G17 or G34

·
Huckleberry
595 Posts
Don't know if you have the option for CC in CA or if there would be interest in that. If not, I'd suggest any of the Gen3 17, 19, or 34. I'd probably go with the 17 since you did mention the 22, 34 if you would like something a bit longer.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I EDC my gen2 G-23, and have for a long time. Every once in a while, a G-43, or A G-30S, like yesterday.
I have a gen2 G-19, but don't carry it very much any more, the G-43X works just fine. I like the G-23 best of all. I also have G-17, also a G-17 frame for my AA 22cal Conversion, a G-17L, & G-34. And several others in 40, and 45.

·
Banned
6,432 Posts
Been there d....
Changing part is a PIA, get your self a 19, 19.5, 19x, 45. mos to have something different, you will love it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts