Fort Worth Officer kills homeowner

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Sgt127, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Monkeybomb

Monkeybomb Resident Misantrope

I'd like to know the rest of the story on that. It darned sure doesn't look good.

jk_226 and larry_minn like this.

2. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

From the link:

On body camera video released by Fort Worth PD, the officer can be heard saying, “Put your hands up. Show me your hands,” before shooting through the window at the person inside.

He was outside and shot her through the window and killed her? If this holds up, we have a problem.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  3. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3

My initial reaction is that since "white officer" does not appear in the headline or first paragraph of the report that the officer is minority and the resident is likely not. Lately we learn more about a news story by what is omitted than what is reported.

4. blueiron

blueiron

Your premise is in error, since it assumes that only the information presented in the article is the totality of the incident and that there is only a binary outcome as a final result.

Sharkey, BEANCOUNTER, TBO and 2 others like this.
  5. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

The keyword is “IF” and I do assume there is additional information.

6. Sgt127

Sgt127

White Officer. Black female resident.

F0560892-B9A4-43CF-AF93-BD59B0BEA823.jpeg

Chui likes this.
  7. G-nineteen

G-nineteen

Even though the lethal shooting is still fresh, if there had been an obvious threat to the officer, wouldn't we have been informed of it by now? A less-obvious threat would take a bit of time to verify, but not days.

I believe in waiting for all the facts to come out, but damn, this looks bad...at this early stage.

Just Glocks, Willard and R_P_K_ like this.
  8. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3

When you're wrong, you're wrong. I guess I'm just a jaded cynic.

9. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Questions that need to be answered,

Did he officer announce himself? As in "POLICE OFFICER!!!"
    Or did he just demand they show their hands before shooting?

That dept. Has the manpower to send a unit to a residence merely on the report that there is a door standing open?

10. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    This is Coptalk.
    If you wish to preach about percieved injustice, please do so in another forum, it is inappropriate here.

newglocker10mm likes this.
  11. Dragoon44

Just watched the video, I would really like to hear what the officer has to say, but on the face of it he was not only very quick to shoot but he did not identify himself as police, just shouted "show me your hands". That is going to be a problem.

According to the report, the complainant stated that the homeowners cars were in the driveway and they are usually home. The first part of the video appeared to show lights on in the front of the house.

n2g, pblanc, merlynusn and 3 others like this.
  12. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

As usual, you are wrong on all counts.

The officer was responding to a call on official business to investigate why a front door on a home was wide open in the middle of the night, which is not normal and is possibly indicative of a crime.

The officer was looking in a window before making an entry, which is reasonable and prudent, and encountered an armed person. He ordered said armed person to drop the weapon. Apparently that didn't happen and he discharged his weapon to prevent the possible commission of great bodily harm or injury.

Any time you have a police officer telling you to drop your weapon, even if you are in your own home and in the right, drop your weapon or expect to get shot.

Intolerant, Sharkey and Lt. Donn like this.
  13. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    What a tragedy, from every perspective....

14. Sgt127

Sgt127

No announcement. No “police”.

“Put your hands up, show me your.. (Bang)”

Less than 1.5 seconds.

Almost impossible to comply that fast.

Being honest,

Thats not really good.

15. Dragoon44

Exactly, on the face of it the officer was far to quick to shoot, unless he articulates that he saw the weapon and there was some movement of raising it towards him this is not going to go well for him.

With no annoucement of POLICE the homeowner may have armed themselves after hearing someone outside their home thinking it was a prowler. If in fact she was holding a weapon when she was shot.

Lord, Just Glocks, Intolerant and 7 others like this.
  16. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Having just watched the video, it could be a problem. However, what did the woman do in response to "put your hands up, show me your hands"? Did she begin pointing the gun at him?

Granted, we'll probably never actually know other than what the officer says he saw.

Intolerant likes this.
  17. Dragoon44

While generally sound advice, in this case, if you watch the video he never said "drop the weapon" only demanded "show me your hands".

He failed to identify himself as the police before making or with his demand. For all the homeowner may have known it was a prowler yelling at her.

From what I see so far things will not go well for the officer. And it is not going to help things with the Amber Guygur trial having just concluded.

18. fastbolt

fastbolt

So, was there a party earlier that night? Lights are on and it looks a bit like trash that could be left over from a party, not a break in.

Front door open? Not splintered and damaged, but just open?

Before wandering around and poking inside open doors, garage, etc, maybe get a cover unit to watch the side/back and either have dispatch call the landline, and/or knock on the front door and call out to see if anyone answers? Residents simply up late and have left the front door open? So what?

Who called, anyway? Why? Neighbor annoyed at a late party? Concerned? By a front door being open and the lights being on with the cars both there? What neighbor is up at 0230hrs and looking to see if someone's front door is open?

Can't fault the resident for having a gun in her hand if she heard something or saw someone moving around the outside of the house, thinking someone might be trying to break in. Can't expect someone to see your uniform and know you're the police if you don't LOUDLY identify yourself while you're shining a bright light in their eyes, either.

Too bad she didn't have 911 on the line, too, as it might've prevented both the resident and the cop from misunderstanding events.

Tragic.

Getting out from in front of the window, instead of shooting the resident so fast, without identifying himself, is likely to be a problem for the rookie cop.

Damn.

Chui, n2g, Intolerant and 12 others like this.
  19. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

This is wrong.

I think that Officer should be jailed.

Chui, Just Glocks, SK2344 and 6 others like this.