close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Formatting my C drive

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Weezer, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Weezer

Weezer

I was given a decent laptop that was used in an office. I plan on using it for school when I'm traveling. I'd like to wipe the hard drive clean, but the only CD-Roms that came with the computer are 2 Windows 98 "product Recovery" disks. There never was an actual Windows 98 CD. Are these the right disks? Can I wipe the drive and re-install windows with these?

Thanks

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

You have to, unless you are skilled at finding nearly-obsolete component drivers.

Those will make it run like new again. Use them in good health!

3. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

first.

not knowing why you want to do this, i'm going to guess performance issues (either slow, or reboots a lot)..

and i'm going to further guess you've got a problematical machine.

meaning it may be a net loss to own it at all. you can easily put 500$ worth of labor in a 200$ computer and then it's worth 205$..

with a windows 98 box, you may just be going in that direction.

you need a real good local geek, hands on, to check a few things.

and you need to have some grasp of what might be necessary to replace.

hard drives wear out. if it's win 98, it may be there by now. (likely)

and reinstalls are the time you will find that out. you may have borderline ram, (64 megs) .. which is fine but forsure not extra.

you may need the 2nd edition upgrade (from win 98 first edition) disc.

you may need some microsoft updates .. those recovery CD's are only updated to some months before they were released. nothing since.

so it's muddy water you're wading into. IF you don't have to, it's more sensible NOT to reinstall. don't unless you must, cause it's not always painless.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Most times a reinstall of Win95/98/98SE will speed the computer up dramatically.

Bill Gates is on record telling folks that those OSes need reinstalled every year or so, and while I can keep them going indefinitely, there is a lot of truth to his claim.

Most machines of that vintage, regardless of the work done to make them run properly, run faster when the OS is fresh. There are several reasons for this.

Anyhow, most anyone with a 'new' PC should reformat and reinstall anyway, just so they don't inherit the problems that got the machine sold in the first place.

And besides, if a reinstall doesn't help, then he isn't out any more than the original purchase price and a couple of hours. Thing is, it almost always makes for a more usable PC.

Thank goodness Win2K came out and ended that BS.