Forgotten

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by MrsKitty, Mar 28, 2007.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Playing with exposure :)

INCREDIBLE ruins!

[​IMG]

ISO 100
    1/160

Think overexposing works here?

I *really* want to shoot this in infrared :supergrin:

2. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Neat looking place. Two comments - I would have liked to see the roof peak included. I think this would have made the composition stronger. Also, if you bump up the contrast and reduce the exposure I think it would definitely improve an already nice photograph. :)

3. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

I love it! Constructive critism since you asked. Leave the exposure alone and increase shadows slider in your editor(if it has it) and jack contrast waaay up. I would tint it very slightly blue or yellow and then sharpen a more than average amount.

I am with you, IR this and you would have a prize at the state fair!

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Was that shot on B&W film or in digital? If the latter, then I would prefer to go one step back and change the B&W conversion to distinguish the sky from the ruins.

If the former, then I would like to reshoot it with a green or orange filter to distinguish the sky from the ruins. ;)

5. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

Mskitty, I hesitated in posting this, but I just can't help tweeking stuff. So, please indulge me as my intention isnt to improve, but interpret differently. Art, as always, is in the eye of the creator.

[​IMG]

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Digital.

I shot a gig card of it. I also shot half a roll of b/w that I won't be processing any time soon (I want to make sure I don't screw it up so I am not starting with it!).

I am going back tomorrow hopefully. I am taking my AE-1 and doing another roll b/w with it, at least another gig of digital and maybe a roll of color, too. I don't know if I will shoot full rolls of film so I will probably be swiping my father's Nikon for the color. I wish I had a roll of infrared or an infrared filter :sad:

I wasn't happy with the shadows on this. I think it was about 11 when I was shooting. I need to reset the time in my camera since it changed so I will know in the future what time I shot what. Being this place is over two hours from home, I can't be too fussy about the time of day I happened to just stumble on it. :)

I am going to try all suggestions. Except the filters as I don't have either of those (yet). I need to pick up some filters (CP, infrared, so on). The only one I have is red and a few skylights/UVs that came on secondhand FD lenses. My father has some that I have swiped (skylights, star, +10, +4 and so on).

[​IMG]

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Tweek away! :wavey:

I understand your intention completely. I think my interpertation is what I am doing wrong with that masoleum lock I posted about shooting so many times a few weeks ago. One day I may get it right or I may just give up before then :rofl:

One thing that amazed me in a photography class was how a dozen people could shoot an identical shot at the same time and get such different pics. That fascinates me. Mine were always b/w while everybody else was using color :supergrin:

I have some underexposed shots of this too. I like them but I love the "white" almost blown rocks. I think I am going to take the tripod and shoot some over, under and correctly exposed then try HDR. That might get me some detail and still keep the white to the rocks...

8. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

misskitty5077, from your color original, here is what I meant by making the sky distinct from the ruins:

[​IMG]

The rest of the processing is rather conventional and may not agree with your intentions, but I wasn't trying to make it special.

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

hwy! That is so much closer to what I am seeing in my head! Darkish, threatening sky...

The people in the area told me about a bride and groom out there getting pics done last weekend. The first thing I said when I saw the "house" was "do I know anybody who recently got married that can still wear their wedding dress?" :shocked: :supergrin:

The color is unaltered except for converting to jpeg. The b/w I posted was converted to b/w and jpg. My Photoshop skills are really lacking! :rofl:

10. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

There are so many ways to convert to B&W, it's not even funny. On top of that, sometimes it really help to process the color closer to what you want before you attempt B&W conversion because it can be much easier to select color precisely than shades of gray.

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

This is my last variation on the same shot

[​IMG]

12. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Is it your intention to make it feel a bit abstracted, like a poster perhaps?

13. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

In a way, yes. I want lots of contrast, textures, character and a surreal quality...

14. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Well, then hit it hard:

[​IMG]

:shocked:

15. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

16. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

That hit it hard enuff to knock it down:animlol:

17. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

And then some! :supergrin:

18. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Hey, it made the sky glow from the magenta moon on the horizon. :supergrin:

Never settle for second best - go all the way. I have a feeling I will be adopting this technique in all my photography from now on. World stand in awe, a new fresco artist is born. Out of my way.

:shocked:

19. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I think all that smog out there is getting to you...

Ain't it a full moon, too?

:rofl:

20. hwyhobo

hwyhobo