Foreign or American Vehicle

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 9mmXRAY, Mar 15, 2010.

1. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

(Edit: I guess there really are not anymore 100% american cars... so I'm offically the village idiot)
    Ok just curious how many people feel like I do about this...

I'm not saying its bad or wrong to purchase a new Foreign vehicle... but does doing this damage your American credibility as far as being able to complain about things like... "The economy" or "Wal-Mart" or how much stuff is imported from China??

Personally in my book it does... If your driving a new Toyota Prius... Dont attempt to talk to me about the economy or friggin walmart... because most people in their lifetime make 2 major purchases a new Car and a Home...

Also I'm pretty sure me owning and buying American cars/trucks/parts for the last 15 years cancels out me buying crap at walmart...:tongueout:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. RenoF250

RenoF250

Keep in mind "American" Cars - Chevy, Ford etc. are often made in Mexico and Canada. Japanese cars like Honda, Nissan, and Toyota are often made in USA. I would rather have a Honda made in Ohio that gives American workers a job than a Ford made in Mexico that gives American management a job. Luckily my Ford was made in Kentucky.

3. InfoSec Guy

InfoSec Guy

But are you looking at where it's made?

I don't look at the brand name any more. I look to find out where it's made. Anniston AL or Suarez, Mexico? If it's Alabama, I've got my choice of Honda, Hyundai, or BMW. If it's Mexico, I've got my choice of GM or Ford.

Which one puts money in the pockets of an American worker?

Just adding my $0.02

Perry

4. Hyksos

Hyksos

Gotta look where the car is made. The sticker in the window usually says the final point of assembly as well as what % of the parts are from what countries.

There are some Hondas made in America now, with high % of American parts. But, Honda is still a Japanese owned company so they receive the money eventually, but at least you're employing some Americans along the way.

Ford's profits are through the roof right now :)

5. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

I drive a Nissan, wife drives a Honda. My next vehicle will be one of the two.

I'll openly admit that I don't care who owns the company that makes my vehicle. I buy what I like and what is reliable.

My Nissan, was built in Tennessee.

6. grecco

grecco

[Ford's profits are through the roof right now :)[/QUOTE]

most of ford cars are based off mazda and volvo platforms.

as a side note, i always try and avoid a car made by the uaw.
    They supported the people that voted and signed nafta, and now my tax dollars are supporting them.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  7. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

I'll buy American when they build an affordable car I like. I've tried Dodge and Ford, both were less than ideal in quality. Went over to Honda (built in USA) and can go 150,000 miles without one issue. I've bought 8 Hondas since. I like the new Ford Taurus and a few of the GM products but have been burned before.

8. Hyksos

Hyksos

most of ford cars are based off mazda and volvo platforms.

as a side note, i always try and avoid a car made by the uaw.
    The supported the people that voted and signed nafta, and now my tax dollars are supporting them.[/QUOTE]

You know, I did not think of the UAW.

9. grecco

grecco

You know, I did not think of the UAW.[/QUOTE]

dont get me wrong there are plenty of hard working people in the industry, including some family memebers that worked for GM in delaware, but the uaw leadership does not care about its workers, only about itself.......

i can not get answer from any uaw member on how nafta was good for them.

10. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

It boggles my mind! :shocked:

It doesn't damage my credibility at spotting a troll. :whistling:

11. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Where its made and where its assembled are 2 seperate things... Although I do see the arguement for either. I also fully understand where the parts are designed and created plays a part.

As far as Mexico goes they must be doing something right considering they are now the home of the richest man on the planet...EVER...

In 1997 "Nike" got my last $1 ever... why? Well I found out how they actually run their business... and I don't agree with it. Alot of Americans think because it costs more its better... this isn't always the situation.

A $115 pair of nike shoes is not going to make you perform any better than a $20 pair of shoes... In my opinion anyways... I'm sure some $500K a year rep would contest that lol...

I am enjoying everyones views on the subject I really did not know some Hondas are assembled here in the US... I just hope those broken Toyotas are not... lol

12. rb-s13

rb-s13

I would much rather buy foreign cars built in America, than "American" cars built in Mexico or by unions.

13. Menehune

Menehune

I have been an American vehicle owner for 20 years, but just recently purchased a used Toyota Tacoma from a family member.

The last US based vehicle I bought is my Saturn Ion RedLine. But even it was a melting pot of GM. You can find SAAB stamped on various parts, Lotus on parts, etc...

But, it was also the replacement for a lemon that I bought from Saturn. It took an act of congress for them to admit that raw fuel in my exhaust was a bad thing. They said it was "normal". Now, I have a small broken headrest seatbelt guide. GM says the Saturn part only comes as the headrest assembly for $170! The part is the same on as a Chevy Cobalt. I just ordered the Cobalt piece for $11. I tried explaining this, but Saturn said they could only sell me the entire headrest for the factory Recaro seats.

After my experience with GM, I'm done with them for good. I will probably go back to Ford at some point, but I'm pretty sure that I will never buy a new vehicle off the lot ever again. Too many near new vehicles out there for far less money. No sense in taking the hit on value as soon as you drive the car off a lot.

But, I will buy what I like and what I choose.

14. 2glock40s

2glock40s

I drive a Nissan Titan. I love my truck. I test drove several others and I liked it the best. I don't care where it was made. I like it. The same goes for everything else I buy. I was always told to buy the best that you can afford. It just so happens that for me the best that I can afford happens to be foreign made. Oh well.

15. zukyota

zukyota

I build Honda's at the plant in Alabama & thank you for your comments . You are exactly right. :supergrin:

16. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

I buy Foremercian.

17. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

hey mine too! (Nissan)..and i'd like to buy another in the next few years...

high five!

18. smokin762

smokin762

The problem I have with people that tell me I should have bought an American car is, they never want to take into account how many parts in their U.S. car is not made in the U.S.

Meanwhile these same people that complain we need to buy U.S. Cars drink Imported Beers, buy clothes made in a Communist Country, and have completely furnished their homes with goods that come here to the U.S. by a container Ship.

Last year I bought my first foreign car. I felt pretty darn bad about it too. It was not my first choice but I did what I did for a reason.

Last year I wanted to trade off my three-year-old Jeep Liberty. I was tired of spending $50.00 a week in gas. I was tired of having to take it to get it fixed all the time because it was a junk with only 54,000 miles on it. I do not buy extended Warranties so mine was up at 36,000 miles. After that, it became a money pit.

Last year I bought a new KIA Spectra. I traded in the Jeep and I got $8,900 out of a three-year-old SUV that I paid $21,000 for just three years earlier.:upeyes:

The Ford Dealers around me said they had enough SUV’s and they told me they did not want it. The Chevy Dealers said they would give me $6,000 for it.

I feel it was an economical decision that I had to make. Now I get great gas mileage, I have a lower car payment and I have a factory 60,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty.

I have no complaints about the choice I made. If I had received the same trade in and Warranty at a Ford or Chevy Dealer, I probably would have bought one of those.:dunno:

19. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

I guess I should have added that my 76 Olds and my 79 Camaro, were probably 100% american... and probably 100% assembled in america...

They also both went well over 300K miles and were sold to an american buyer in the end.

The 76 Olds finally threw a rod in 1998 and the owner told me he didn't care because I sold it for $500 and he drove it another 50K before it threw a rod and he still drove it about 2K miles before it dislodged and totally wrecked the engine.

The 79 camaro still has the original 305 Pug in it and its still running strong today and frequently hits the downtown areas of Chicago as I have been recently told by the friend I sold it too for $800 in 2003. Probably the biggest vehicular mistake I have ever made beside buying a Mazda once when I was 16...

Yes I'm having this feeling now... more than ever. Thank you!

20. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

My opinion, based on my own experience...is the opposite. Do some long distance running in a pair of Pay-Less shoes and let us know how having better support/ergonomics/fit etc wouldn't have helped you perform better.