Foreign Living....it's the little things.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Feb 17, 2013.

1. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Another Sunday here in Riga. And time again for a couple of small notes, gripes, and observances about living abroad.

#1. At the grocery store today. You can't buy a "6-pack" of beer in cans. All singles, or deal with a flat case. A small, but PITA thing as now you've gotta deal with loose cans

#2. Left hand zipper pulls on jackets. I'm 54....ahhh...55 years old and have a hard time dressing myself for crying out loud!! Why the heck is there a need to have the zipper on the wrong side?? They drive on the right side....most of the time anyway. Think most of the world is left handed...just ain't right.

#3. Kids are kids everywhere. But the little tykes here seem funnier when dressed up in winter clothing so they look like "Kenny" from "South Park" as they waddle around the stores.

#4. I can now sympathize with the dog on the TV ad for "Beggin' Strips". "I CAN'T READ!!". I could get by in Italy and Spain, but Latvian & Russian are tough languages. Not even close to anything I've seen and it can make things tricky with everything from parking to grocery shopping.

#5. Riga has some of the best pastries I've ever had in my life (yes...been to Italy, France and Switzerland..:supergrin:) But the thingies I picked up at the store this morning are wicked good! Kinda' makes up for #1 above!!

Every live abroad, or even in a different part of The USA and find things different than "back home"??

2. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

When I was in Berlin nearly fifty years ago I found my spouse. Not sure why she gets so pissy when I tell people she was war reparations?!?

:faint:

Oh, and she's a good shot at well...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013

3. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I was in a foreign (but familiar) country, driving in an inconspicuous car (not rented, not new, not beat up).

I get pulled over - which is fairly common. I was not disobeying any traffic laws or other laws. Officer comes up to my window:

Him: Hello, dl and insurance please.
    Me: Ok sir, here you go

Him: Ok
    Me: Waits.

Him: Ok.
    Me: Ok.

Him: OK.
    Me: Ok?

My buddy at shotgun coughs *$20*

Me: Light bulb goes off, I hand the officer a $20, and he says "proceed", or something to that effect.

My bud and I were musing that in the USA, stuff like that absolutely does not happen.

There, it is the norm.

4. droidfire

droidfire

Because you should not be zipping your own zipper. It's designed that way to make it easy for the person zipping you up.

5. samuse

samuse

I've never been anywhere but all over the US and a little in Mexico.

I'm constantly among Mexican immigrants and US military personnel that have recently been all over the world.

It has totally quashed my desire to ever go South of the Rio Grande and/or North of I-10.

My parents and other family members frequent different locales in Europe and I just don't get it. I hate to travel.

6. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Those are wimmins jackets. :tongueout:

7. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

My thoughts exactly!!

But, at least thus far I ain't had the urge to find a nice "murse" to go along with the jacket, but the idea of a nice pedicure keeps going through my mind.....:whistling:

I brought a few 'real jackets' with me, but at work we gotta' wear the florescent yellow ones supplied by the company....and they have the female version of zippers.:steamed:

8. poikilotrm

poikilotrm

If you stay out of Chicago, Baltimore, Atlanta, Lumpkin County, GA, and New Orleans then you might continue to maintain that naive belief.

9. kpuscg04

kpuscg04 ACTA NON VERBA

That land you have described is called God's Country. I lived in that beautiful sliver of America for 6 years and then left it for my dream job.

Now I spend every waking moment trying to get back.

10. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

That's what I thought too :rofl:

11. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

Ya CAN'T carry guns...or you end up in a PRISON. Of course we're kinda headed in that direction.

HR:cool:

12. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

The Swedish Air Force gave me one of their flight jackets; they zip up the wrong side.

13. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

Hmmm, the country I had the hardest time getting something to eat that was tasty was one that I spoke (more or less) the language. That would be Britain!

Once I figured out to avoid certain standard food items like pizza whilst there, everything was fine. Some people asked me how I could stand drinking the "warm beer". Their beer is not warm, it is served at cellar temperature which is fine be me. Enhances the taste and aroma.

Italy had great food and surprisingly easy to navigate as a tourist that didn't speak more than 20 words in Italian. I was shocked that the Heineken beer there was amazingly good compared to the swill they sell here. I know it's not Italian, but once I found that out it was the only beer I drank there, better than the Italian stuff. The pizza, pasta, and sea food there was amazing (Rome and Sicily.)

Costa Rica surprised me in that they don't really do spicy food at all. It's like eating Mexican without any hot spices. Meh. I like the hot stuff. The locals are very nice though and they have some beautiful scenery, including the women!

14. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

We're gunna need to see some pics of the local ladies, sir.

15. Gallium

Gallium CLM

There are Glocktalkers here who I have met, and feted with in Chicago, Baltimore & Atlanta. Been to NOLA at least 2 dozen times in the past dozen years, as recent as within the past year.

The former police chief of Lumpkin County is a Glocktalker, who was shot as seriously wounded responding to a call, and had a hellacious recovery. I've never met the man, but drived thru that place twice.

Wake me up when your travels include Guyana, Nicaragua, Kingston (Jamaica), Rwanda, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Lagos, Madagascar, South Africa (all over), the middle east, Columbia (all over), Panama, Haiti, eastern Europe etc etc.

Cuz I've been there, done that.

16. Gallium

Gallium CLM

There are no police depts IN THE US where people are slipping cops $20 or even $200 dollars at traffic stops.

If you say there is extortion via exorbitant fees for speeding where speeds are prudent, then I would say yes.

If you are saying anything close to what I said above, you're quite the pant-full.

17. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

18. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

I lived in Europe for over a dozen years and in Southeast Asia for over a year. I loved Heidelberg. I lived on the Hauptstrasse (Main street) in a penthouse apartment with a balcony that looked out on the Heidelberg Schloss (castle) and the Schlossgarten (castle garden or Hortus Palatinus).

It was idyllic. I loved the lifestyle. I shopped daily in the little family owned markets for fresh produce, fowl, beef and bread and bought wine that came from the Rhine Valley upon which Heidelberg sits. I kept a bottle of Royal Salute at the Shepherd's Lounge, owned by Egyptian Olympian Atef Ismail and his concubine, and had a Freudin (girlfriend) who introduced me to garden society. I came away with the idea that Europeans sip and savor every morsel of life, while we Americans gulp it in large bites never tasting it.

I would return to Europe in an instant; I don't miss much about Southeast Asia.

ETA: I had beer delivered by the case; beer delivery in Germany is as common as milk delivery used to be in the U.S..

19. harrygunner

harrygunner

I enjoy seeing how different countries solve day-to-day issues in different ways. Grocery shopping has interesting differences, but easy to adjust to.

One area I struggle with are bathrooms. Stepping onto feet outlines to squat over a hole in Asian countries. Or outdoor, nearly public urinals in Europe take some getting used to. Or the completely sealed closets with a toilet inside. Capturing gasses from weeks past since there's no vents or openings. :rofl:

20. Happypuppy

Happypuppy

In Central America one of the things that was very odd were security armed guards inside stores. Also at the doors ... Even at insurance agents that didn't even deal with cash.... The citizens even were restricted with gun ownership, it was very hard to do and procure.

Ice cream was really odd it had huge chunks of fruit and the fruits I often had no idea what they were. But a popular treat with hot weather and they were all over