close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ford Introduces New Taurus-based Police Car

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DR. HOUSE, Mar 18, 2010.

1. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

[​IMG]

Ford Police Interceptor
    The next time you’re pulled over for speeding, you might be surprised by what you see in the rearview. Ford recently unveiled its replacement for the Crown-Victoria-based Police Interceptor -- and it’s a Taurus.

“Ford first introduced its police package in 1950 and today the Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor is the industry leader,” explains Jalopnik. “The automaker's dominated the streets to the point that over the last five years, Ford's controlled more than 70% of the patrol cars sold. … Unfortunately, the Crown Vic's Panther-platform's getting a little long in the tooth — it hasn't seen a redesign in over 15 years.”

So out goes the Crown Vic and in comes the Taurus. “To develop the all-new Police Interceptor, Ford engineers worked hand-in-hand with Ford’s Police Advisory Board of law enforcement professionals, which provided input on key vehicle attributes such as safety, performance, durability, driver comfort and functionality,” writes Ford.

While the new Police Interceptor is based on the 2010 Ford Taurus, the changes are significant.

According to Cars.com, “Police departments across the country won’t be piloting just any Taurus off dealership lots. Ford says approximately 90 percent of the interior has been redesigned for police use.” Unique features include front seats with anti-stab plates to protect officers from violent criminals and vinyl rear seats to make cleaning up after messy ones easier.

[​IMG] Ford Police Interceptor

That’s not all. USA Today reports: “The Taurus-based model will keep the Police Interceptor name but offer just two 3.5-liter V-6 engines, no big V-8s, as in the Crown Vic. Ford boasts that the standard version will be 25% more fuel efficient than the current standard V-8. And the version with two turbochargers, what Ford calls EcoBoost, will deliver 365 horsepower, 115 more than the standard Crown Vic.” The 365-horsepower V6 is the same found in the performance-tuned Taurus SHO. An optional all-wheel drive system will also be available.

The result is a better-performing police car. “Ford’s new police car can endure a rear-end crash at 75 m.p.h., easily jump curbs and accelerate twice as fast as Ford's outgoing iconic Crown Victoria Police Interceptor,” says the Detroit Free Press.

However, the competition is tough. “The Taurus-based cop car will have to compete against the Dodge Charger cruiser, which looks good and is plenty fast with the available Hemi, and the Chevrolet Caprice, another rear-driver which is pretty much a Pontiac G8 in all but name (and civilian availability),” writes Edmunds.

Ford will cease production on the old Police Interceptor in late 2011 and begin introducing the new Taurus-based model in 2012.

If you're in the market for a new car, check out the U.S. News rankings of this year's best cars as well as this month's best car deals

While not a ford fan, sounds like they made some good improvements on this car including the exploading gas tank problem.

Looks pretty sharp, Id drive it.

We will have to see if this becomes the new crown vic and becomes nation wide.

We will also have to see how well its built. They may have jinxed it giving it the taurus name..........

2. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

The AWD part sounds interesting. Driving a Crown Vic on a snowy day sucks.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010

3. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Dr. House introduces re-post from last week, on his 1000 post mark. :supergrin:

:tongueout:

:wavey:

4. happy seal

happy seal

Way to JAMBOG Dr. House!
    All the posts you put up and dont remember that one.:faint:

5. happy seal

happy seal

1000 posts in 6 1/2 months, :wow:

6. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Sorry about the jambog guys, I looked, I really did!

It was on yahoo's front homepage today so I thought it was relativly NEW!

Shesh, Damn yahoo!

My 1,000 post is a jambog, first to jambog on 1,000!

7. happy seal

happy seal

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Yes. :supergrin: We are jest funning with ya. 1000 posts in 6 months is sickening. Do you have some sort of disability that is preventing you from posting more? :supergrin:

I myself am averaging 5k a year...:whistling: and if I didn't have two jobs and three mistresses it would be even higher. :faint:

'Drew

9. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

I know your all just messing with me.

What can I say, my job is boring in the cold months. This summer I may not have time to post as much. Gotta even it out in the off months.

:tongueout:

10. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

Hope Phoenix gets some. We have Chevy Impalas and Tahoes.

11. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Having had a 93' Taurus, I hope that Cleveland gets some of these. It will dramatically cut down on the number of tickets I get... since all the cops will be by the side of the road with broken down POS Tauruseseses

12. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    That was kinda my thoughts.

I guess time will tell.

13. ryanm

ryanm

I've been driving a 2008 Taurus (with the plain engine) for the last 6 months.
    Decent acceleration and a good ride. I've very pleased so far.
    No pursuits thus far, though.

14. vart

vart

I should bump my original thread just to rub salt in his wounds...:whistling:

15. Gallium

Gallium CLM

He's a doctor...he's got an antidote for that....(it's vinegar :whistling::whistling:).

'Drew

16. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

17. Berto

Berto woo woo

He knew that.

18. thanospro

thanospro

Another crappy car...hope our admin is smarter than that.

19. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Yah, maybe but the only thing shared by your 1993 Taurus and this new one is the name.

20. vart

vart

Why is it crappy?

Sounds like Ford really beefed this thing up...

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q1/2012_ford_police_interceptor-car_news