Ford Interceptor SUV Seat Position

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by IrishSheepdog54, Mar 3, 2017.

1. IrishSheepdog54

IrishSheepdog54

Anyone else have a problem with back pain in the Ford SUV? Any advice on how to position the seat better to relieve lower back pain? Seems like sitting in the truck for a couple hours, I get out and my legs and back are wrecked.

2. GasTiresOil

GasTiresOil

That's probably a lot of your problem. I get out every hour, walk around stretch. The sitting kills me too. Getting more movement in helps a lot.

3. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

I try to sit as upright and straight as I can comfortably. It may or may not help, but maybe give it a shot?

firefighter4215 likes this.
  4. papajohn

papajohn

Don't know your body dimensions but I'll tell you mine..... 5'11" and 170 unequipped. I drop the seat all the way down then raise the front about an inch. Take all the lumbar support out because I wear two sets of cuffs across the back, one at 5 and one at 7. I then have the upright set leaning towards the rear maybe 10 degree angle ? (just a guesstimate) Then pull the telescopic wheel all the way out. I find this to be the most comfortable.

I get into the SUV after so many people who complain of back and shoulder pain where the seat is jacked up and leaning forward and I'm like **** no wonder why you're in pain.

5. ottomatic

ottomatic

I have to disagree with the above post. While I'm NOT saying it doesn't work for him, generally my experience is exactly the opposite. The higher you can get the seat, the less weight there is on your back, which is why I can go 6 hours without stopping in my F250, but only about 2 in my Fusion. This is just MY personal experience.
    Besides that, regardless of comfort, the more upright you run your seatback, the more protection your seatbelt gives you in a crash.

6. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

I'm 6'2", and I drop the seat all the way. But, I have the back sitting forward enough that the headrest is almost touching my head all the time. My biggest complaint is that Ford couldn't figure out how to recess the dead pedal area a little more so your left leg isn't sitting at a funny angle.

7. collim1

collim1

I sat off center in the seat for some reason. I had to consciously think about getting my hips even in the seat or it would tighten me up on one side and cause back issues.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  8. IrishSheepdog54

IrishSheepdog54

Yeah the dead pedal might as well be in the engine compartment.

9. texmex

texmex

It is obvious whoever designed the seats never tried sitting in them wearing a gunbelt. Hard to find a location on the belt for a portable radio. Too far forward hits the door handle. Too far back hits the wrap around part of the seat. I don't even try to wear my radio anymore.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  10. papajohn

papajohn

No offense taken at all Otto. This is what I found that works well for me while sitting in these seats and wearing my duty belt. Every "body" is going to be different.

It took me a lot of trial and error to find what works for me.