Ford Escape Owners?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BigChuck73, Jan 30, 2010.

1. BigChuck73

BigChuck73 Registered Lurk

I'm interested in a small SUV - it's just me and I'd like something for the snow.

Hoping for a used 2-3 year old car with low miles and the Escape seems to fit the bill - I can find them for under $16,000 with warranty!

Anyone have one? Comments?

2. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

My mother has a 2004 Ford Escape XLT with a 3.0 liter DOHC V6, and it MOVES! One of the quickest little cars I've personally driven. No 4wd, but even then, it wouldn't be used that often. It's got about 71,000 miles on it, and still runs great. I personally think the 2004 is the best year made (just my opinion). Very good car for the money. The one my mother owns used to be a company car with Agilent Technologies, until my parent's bought it from the company. One of the best decisions they ever made.

You'll do well to pick this car. Good luck with your choice.

3. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

I was driving one for a few months every few days, so I have quite limited experience with Escape.
    However it's a great vehicle on the snow.
    There is enough space inside and the new models have improved steering and handling characteristics.
    The trunk space behind second row is just acceptable, the reliability is good in my experience, but the small fuel tank and not so good fuel economy (especially with V6 4x4) may force You to visit the gas station quite often.

4. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

I have an 07 Escape. Very nice vehicle. No problems what so ever with it.

5. Tikiwolf

Tikiwolf

I have an 01 I bought new. It's been a great car I had 2 recalls for a headlight gasket and the radiator overflow tank. Both were taken care of 5 or 6 years ago. And there's never been another problem. It's just the right size for pretty much everything I do, and wouldn't hesitate to get another.

6. phone*guy

phone*guy

My company car is a 2008 Escape...Its a nice car but we've had transmission problems with several of them....Mine is on its 3rd and I only have 67,000 on it. I have the 2WD V6.

7. hatidua

hatidua

Have the Escape "hybrid" and it works out very well here in the snow in Colorado (the heated seats are a very nice feature too!).

8. DGreno

DGreno FF/Paramedic Silver Member

I had a 2009 as a rental a few months ago. I put about 1800 miles on it while I had it. It was a very fun vehicle to drive, and if in the market, it would be one of my top choices. FWIW, I did the same trip a few weeks ago with a 2010 explorer and it was the most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven. Check them out too if you can.

9. sputnik767

sputnik767

My friend has one, maybe '03 or '04. As far as I know it did not give him any trouble. But the price? A 3-year old Ford should be about half the price of a brand new one. They just don't hold their value well. I would say $16k is too much, and the warranty is the factory warranty, not something extra.

10. handyman

handyman

A friend has a 2003 Limited one now has 55,000 miles, trans went at 1200 miles, some small other things, around 45,000 LF lower control arm and wheel brg, ft transfer case seal and rear diff pinion seal, also has had some rust problems.

11. smullen

smullen

My company truck is a 01 or 02 Escape (can't remember)... I got it at about 4K miles and now I'm at 109K.... No issues as of yet... I love it... Great in the snow, great fr hauling tools and network gear around to remote sites...

I'd recomend one for personal use...

12. ninjazx6r

ninjazx6r

The 07 and 08's have transmission fluid cooler problems. They leak at the top left hand side of the vehicle, that causes the transmission problems. Be carefull of that but other than that we love ours.

13. lonewolf28152

lonewolf28152

Can you give me some more info on the radiator overflow tank recall? I looked online but haven't seen anything. My girlfriend has a 01 with the 3.0 and the coolant level has been dropping but I can't find a leak anywhere but sometimes I do smell coolant. I am pretty good with engines and have rebuilt a few but I would like to know about this recall and what it consists of. Thanks:cheers:

14. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

I've got an 02 XLT with 60K and I love it. I plan on driving into the ground or until TWEAWKI.

15. Tikiwolf

Tikiwolf

It was something with a sensor on the bottom of the tank I think. I never had a problem, with any sort of leak but I was getting a checkup and they just replaced it while they had it.

16. Fungunner

Fungunner

When I was looking for a 4X4 for the wife, I looked at the Escape. I ended up buying a sister vehicle to it, a used Mazda Tribute. It does very well in the snow and one of the reasons I bought it, was because it was so well equipped, for the same money dealers wanted for the same vintage Escape, lesser equipped. Over 100K miles and the only major problem has been 3 check engine lights, which have been ignition oriented.

17. Danimal3805

Danimal3805

My brother's got one as his company car (on his third one now) and he beats the ever-living **** out of them and they NO problem making it to 100k miles (that's when they replace them). He's 6'4" 350 and he fits in it. (barely). Decent power, lots of toys like satellite radio and stuff. I'm not usually one to vote FOR ford but they seem to have this rig figured out.