Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
κολασμένος
18,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know the drill... invited over under false pretenses and bam! out comes the slide projector. At least in today's internet age you don't have to watch if you don't want to. :supergrin:

So I threw this slideshow/video thing together to show a class about my trip this past spring. What I learned:

I'm not very good at it. Oh well, it was good practice. There's still a bunch of things I'll work on getting right for the next rendition (wonky transitions, black bars, music, brightness, etc)

Take a look if you'd like. Input appreciated.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PnOBlcF-TU"]SWP 06/13 - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
236 Posts
You know the drill... invited over under false pretenses and bam! out comes the slide projector. At least in today's internet age you don't have to watch if you don't want to. :supergrin:

So I threw this slideshow/video thing together to show a class about my trip this past spring. What I learned:

I'm not very good at it. Oh well, it was good practice. There's still a bunch of things I'll work on getting right for the next rendition (wonky transitions, black bars, music, brightness, etc)

SWP 06/13 - YouTube
Forced? Did they have armed guards with orders to use lethal force if you left? Did you not have an alternate exit strategy? Were the windows also guarded, or barred with an uncuttable metal? I would have hit the door, or gone out the window the minute the slide projector was set up, giving me ample cover with my captors occupied. Utilize any nearby furniture to facilitate a window egress if necessary. :supergrin:

·
Registered
33,044 Posts
Overall very good.

Whole thing maybe could be shortned to 5 min.
The videos were nice and interesting.
The stills of animals were ok.
The stills of the turtles and the rhino skulls could have been held in view longer.
The stills of all the other things could have been shortened in duration.
The fade in and fade out of the stills was annoying and time consuming.
The music was cool.
The still of flowers and food plates were painfully boring.

:)

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
What's really funny is today, people fall all over themselves to upload, view, & comment on everyone else's virtual slideshows via FB, Instagram, etc...:upeyes:

·
Registered
33,044 Posts
What's really funny is today, people fall all over themselves to upload, view, & comment on everyone else's virtual slideshows via FB, Instagram, etc...:upeyes:
The difference being, it is when you feel like it PLUS you can click stop and bail out at anytime.

Much different than being trapped at someone's house looking at upside down slides of old faithful.

·
Banned
4,896 Posts
Do they allow smoking in their home? From time to time I find it convenient to step out for a smoke and disappear...

(edit, also, good reason to carry a cigar with you. People that allow smoking cigs in their home usually still ask you to smoke a cigar outside; 90% of the battle is getting out the door.)

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
the best input I can give: The person putting the presentation should ask themselves what they are trying to communicate to the audience.

From a personal and very subjective view point, I couldn't stand the singing.

·
Get off my lawn
42,701 Posts
[ame]http://youtu.be/_uv8Ej4CEoQ[/ame]

·
Pistolero
6,150 Posts
I made a firm deal with myself about 20 years ago that I would never, ever again watch anyone's vacation slides. I have kept it.

It is the ultimate narcissistic action to believe that anyone else would be interested in YOUR vacation. I have had to be fairly rude to leave my friend's house, after reasonable explanation, when the old slide projector came out.

·
Registered
12,597 Posts
I like looking at pictures, and I like to see places that I might want to go. Am I the only one?
Nope. I used to love the pictures my uncle who was a private jet pilot(G IV's for all the pilots) showed me of all the different countries, places, and event's he has been too. I say used to because he tragically died doing what he loved in a plane crash last year.

I am cursed with the absolute love of travel and lack of money to do said travel.

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
I like looking at pictures, and I like to see places that I might want to go. Am I the only one?
My uncle and his wife used to take vacation cruises to exotic places-this was back in the 60's, 70's before everyone did this.
Uncle was an excellent photographer. I found his stuff fascinating.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Darken a room and bring out the slides? I'm snoozing within 2 minutes and that puts a halt to that. Sadly, or maybe happily, I can almost snore on command when things get dark and ho-hum like that.

I had a good friend who LOVED to scrapbook all the places she visited and would send me rough drafts, asking my opinions (then wisely ignoring any advice I offered), shuffling photos in, out, resizing, page composition, font styles & sizes, you name it. She would take hundreds and hundreds of digital photos and start the culling process, again, asking for input then typically doing what she wanted anyway.

I'm good with it, I suppose, tho I preferred listening to her tales of adventure, hikes, misadventure (the hardships encountered are oftentimes quite interesting) and she would share stories of the guys she met while traveling... those kind of stories over a glass of wine or three can get and hold my attention longer than slides or photos. :whistling:

Altho' one other friend did take photos of every Men's restroom he encountered in Europe last year. Some of those were... unique. He, however, put it all together in a collage and placed that framed group in his powder room over the john so you could see them while standing doing your business.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts

SWP 06/13 - YouTube
1. I'm really disappointed you missed the chance to wrestle that rhino. Man up next time will you?

2. Joking aside I have no input on your video except that I am through and through envious of the natural beauty in your part of the world.

Thanks for sharing that.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
Do they allow smoking in their home? From time to time I find it convenient to step out for a smoke and disappear...

(edit, also, good reason to carry a cigar with you. People that allow smoking cigs in their home usually still ask you to smoke a cigar outside; 90% of the battle is getting out the door.)
There you go. I carry a pack of green Eastern-Kentucky cigars where-ever I go, the Cubans and Costa Ricans are terribly overrated.

·
Firm member
30,295 Posts
Amateurs. Sit through a surprise piano recital by an eight year old in a dry-by-religion household and get back to me. HH

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
I made a firm deal with myself about 20 years ago that I would never, ever again watch anyone's vacation slides. I have kept it.

It is the ultimate narcissistic action to believe that anyone else would be interested in YOUR vacation. I have had to be fairly rude to leave my friend's house, after reasonable explanation, when the old slide projector came out.
Amen!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts