Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: TallGlockDude

·
Formerly retired EE.
15,757 Posts
Damn . . . I'm in Alaska. Not sure I want to get up that early, even for ammo :sleep:
Real 10mm (not 40 S&W in a longer case), is not easy to find. This stuff is loaded stout and you can get it with excellent bullets. I like the 220g hard cast, flat nose. I see they have a polymer coated version of this now. I assume that is to reduce lead buildup in Glock barrels? I have a 6" conventional rifled barrel in my G20, so I don't care either way.

Last time I bought this it was in 50 round boxes. Sucks the good stuff only comes in 20 round boxes.

On a slightly related note, I noticed Lucky Gunner has 50 round boxes of Federal HST 124g+P 9mm in stock. That is my urban, SD load of choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Real 10mm (not 40 S&W in a longer case), is not easy to find. This stuff is loaded stout and you can get it with excellent bullets. I like the 220g hard cast, flat nose. I see they have a polymer coated version of this now. I assume that is to reduce lead buildup in Glock barrels? I have a 6" conventional rifled barrel in my G20, so I don't care either way.

Last time I bought this it was in 50 round boxes. Sucks the good stuff only comes in 20 round boxes.
Yeah, I just got my first 10mm a couple weeks ago and haven't settled on an ammo choice yet. But the little I've shot it, I like it enough it may supplant my G36 for Anchorage duty whenever we go to town. I have some Buffalo Bore 190 mono-metal rounds coming up via the KC way, but I wouldn't mind trying out some of the other offerings for dangerous critters. The Underwood XTP loads are of particular interest.

I think I'm talking myself into getting up early :)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Aye, but my daughter and son-in-law live in KC and are coming up for Christmas. They can bring up to 11 pounds each in their checked bags.
I‘ve had to do that with family from outside as well. Kind of a drag they changed shipping laws back in the day.

·
Formerly retired EE.
15,757 Posts
Yeah, I just got my first 10mm a couple weeks ago and haven't settled on an ammo choice yet. But the little I've shot it, I like it enough it may supplant my G36 for Anchorage duty whenever we go to town. I have some Buffalo Bore 190 mono-metal rounds coming up via the KC way, but I wouldn't mind trying out some of the other offerings for dangerous critters. The Underwood XTP loads are of particular interest.

I've put a few boxes of the Underwood 180 grain XTP through my G20. It worked just fine.

Leave me some ammo now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I‘ve had to do that with family from outside as well. Kind of a drag they changed shipping laws back in the day.
It seems almost arbitrary what any given company will or will not ship to Alaska. As ridiculous as it sounds, usually changing the colour of an item on Amazon will change the "will not ship to Alaska" to "that's just fine to ship" :rolleyes:

·
Zombie Response Team
g29sf for life.
2,636 Posts
Sweeeeet.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
I don't have a 10MM but have bought .45 Super from them a couple of times. I don't shoot that gun all that much seems to be really good ammo.

Reactions: Haldor

·
Formerly retired EE.
15,757 Posts
All they have is the LeHigh 140g, Solid Copper, Xtreme Penetrator bullets. It is an interesting load. Supposed to provide excellent terminal ballistics without having to expand. First serious 10mm ammo I have seen for sale in a year, so I bought a couple of boxes. Definitely not plinking ammo.

·
Registered
120 Posts

The XTP loads are excellent, and stout, the aforementioned 22 gr. Flat nose are a little bit whippy in my 4" bbl. 10mm, but are controllable in my 5" gun.

·
Formerly retired EE.
15,757 Posts
The XTP loads are excellent, and stout, the aforementioned 22 gr. Flat nose are a little bit whippy in my 4" bbl. 10mm, but are controllable in my 5" gun.

You know you are shooting something when you touch off the 220g load. Definitely outperforms 357 mag. Not up to my preferred .44 mag load ("Keith" bullet over 22g of #2400), but it is one hell of a lot easier to belt carry than my S&W Model 29.

·
AAAMAD
33,451 Posts
You know you are shooting something when you touch off the 220g load. Definitely outperforms 357 mag. Not up to my preferred .44 mag load ("Keith" bullet over 22g of #2400), but it is one hell of a lot easier to belt carry than my S&W Model 29.
Only if you’re talking capacity. Otherwise the 357 has a slight edge in meplat, as it’s not a semi auto.

Performance wise, they’re virtually identical

Underwood 220 grain 10mm (704 ft lbs)

Buffalo Bore 180 357 (738)

The only real difference is the platform that fires them.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
already sold out?

I picked up some 180gr .40SW from them when I got my G23 gen 5. 5 boxes. it shoots really well.

and UW is always what I run in my 10MM as well. I do not know what it is, but they make some nasty, high vel. loads that shoot softer than my own that are not near that power level. wonder if it powder choice.

·
AAAMAD
33,451 Posts
already sold out?

I picked up some 180gr .40SW from them when I got my G23 gen 5. 5 boxes. it shoots really well.

and UW is always what I run in my 10MM as well. I do not know what it is, but they make some nasty, high vel. loads that shoot softer than my own that are not near that power level. wonder if it powder choice.
it is.

Recoil is affected by total ejected mass, do if they’re using custom blended propellants they can achieve velocity us hand loaders cant, with less powder.

My 8 bore makes a good example of this. “Full power” black powder loads are 272 grains (10 drams) of black powder. I can get the same performance out of 72 grains of blue dot, with much less recoil.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts