For us old folk!

Discussion in 'Okie Memorial Area' started by okie, Oct 9, 2010.

1. okie

okie GT Mayor

When did you get your first calculator, and how much did ya pay for the thing?
    My pop bought one in the mid 70's I believe, don't remember how much he paid for it though. I about pissed my pants when my pop bought the thing, I thought that was kooler than ice cubes. I got mine around 78 or so, and it was a Texas Instrument, I think I paid like 20-30 bucks for it which was all the money in the world for me. :rofl::rofl:

2. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

One of the guys at work came in with an ad for the Bomar "Brain", at Hecht's Department Store, for $79.00.

That was 1974/1975.

3. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

I'm not quite old folks, but old enough to have had old folks like that. As a kid in the 80's I used to play with my Grandpas calculator. It took a 9 volt battery and was only slightly thinner than a VHS tape and a little better than half the size. If you did a large multiplication it would take a second or 2 to figure it out. I loved that thing.

4. KNAK

KNAK

Was on the calculator team of the "Mathletes" in late 70s/early 80s High School - yeah a major nerd.

Paid about $250 for a TI 58 then moved to an HP-41c for another $300 or so.

Found them both recently in the box-o-junk, neither one works, but hard to part with.

5. coastal4974

coastal4974

Back when I was in HS I worked for Radio Shack when they first came out. iirc they were about $300 for just basic functions. I didn't buy one.

6. Harvick

Harvick

Double edged sword... ever watch a youngin' try to do math in their head:whistling:?

7. DRZ

DRZ

Ditto.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  8. okie

okie GT Mayor

This:supergrin:

9. okie

okie GT Mayor

In 1977 my Science teacher was braggin to my best friends dad how badassed and fast calculators was, my friends dad said horse crap the human brain is just as fast. William challenged my teacher to a long division challenge. He told my teacher to write out 10 long division problems on the chalk board, and he would figure the problems in his head and show his work, the teacher used the calculator. William won that contest:faint:

10. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

My first one was a Texas Instuments in 1974/5 for a college statistics class. I think it was about $80.00. The batteries died at the beginning of my midterm exam so I finished it using pencil and paper. Even then the rest of my classmates were incredulous. Since I had taken a 1 1/2 year break from college I was a little older than them and apparently in the interim they had become completely dependent on calculators. Heck, I even used a sliderule in HS chemistry. I had an edge there too. My father was a civil engineer with his own company. In the 50s and 60s I saw him with a sliderule often and had him show me how to use it.

11. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

My first was a Texas Instruments SR-10 (?) in 1972. It had the 4 basic functions (add, subtract, multiply, and divide) AND percent!! It was $129.00

My next was an HP-45. It did nearly all the functions and worked via Reverse Polish Notation. That was 1973, and it cost $395.00. I drove to Georgia to get it, as there weren't any in the state. It helped tremendously in Physics courses in college.

My, times have changed!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  12. GlockerMike

GlockerMike God Help Us

My old pocket calculator............

[​IMG]

Was always ripping pockets off!

13. GlockerMike

GlockerMike God Help Us

14. okie

okie GT Mayor

That would be a hell of a thing to carry around:rofl::rofl::rofl:

15. exmdshooter

exmdshooter WWJMBD?

Fall of 1972. I was a freshman in college and my brother was a senior (at a different school). As an early Christmas present, our dad bought us each the then-new HP35 scientific calculator. Cost him $395 a pop.

They were the new thing on campus at the time, and were not yet plentiful enough to have an impact on how exams were structured. As they became more common, tests were re-written to place less emphasis on calculation and more on theory.

I remember taking my Physics I final that Fall... I was the only one in the room with a calculator... everyone else was still using slide rules. I finished the three hour exam in 45 minutes and walked out... much to the astonishment of both the prof and my fellow students. I got a 100 on the test and Aced the class. :cool:

16. okie

okie GT Mayor

I know hwat a slide rule is and I used to have one:tongueout::rofl:

17. exmdshooter

exmdshooter WWJMBD?

Still got mine, which is plastic, and my dad's, which is made from rosewood and ivory. Now, remembering how to use it, except for the most basic calculations, is another matter. :rofl:

Dad, BTW, graduated from MSU with a degree in Electrical Engineering in 1930 :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  18. okie

okie GT Mayor

I sure the hell wish I would learn to freakin spell:upeyes:

19. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

Good thread. I have a few TI calculators that are so old they are made in Italy and America. Also I used to get low grades in math at school for not using a calculator or working it out on paper. I'm gifted in math and can do it in my head.

20. Herb Twoleaf

Herb Twoleaf qxPfZzhK

Mine was about the size of a vhs tape, had a green led display, and if you used it around a radio the radio would make space-invader noises.