close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

For thoses who like sausage......

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by HKMark23, Jan 14, 2005.

1. HKMark23

HKMark23 Millennium Member

The post about cooking Kale reminded me of one of my favorite dishes..........

1 lb. "good" spicy sausage (I prefer Italian)
    2 large potatoes (skin left on and cut into 1/2" cubes)
    1 large onion (chopped)
    4-5 strips of bacon (chopped)
    2 cloves garlic (minced)
    2 cups kale (chopped)
    3 cups chicken broth
    1 qt. water
    1 cup HEAVY whipping cream

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

1)Boil the sausage in the water.

2)While that is boiling, in a seperate pan saute the onions untill they are almost clear, then add the garlic and saute for another minute (do not brown) then set aside.

3)Brown the bacon & set aside.

4)Once the sausage is done, remove it from the water & set aside. Then add the chicken broth, potatoes, onions, garlic, bacon to the same water and simmer for about 15 minutes (or untill the potatoes are "slightly" under cooked)

5)While that is simmering, chop the sausage into 1/2" cubes and chop the Kale into small strips.

6)Once the potatoes are almost ready add both the kale and sausage,and simmer an additional 5 minutes. (add more water if needed)

7)Then add the cream and simmer 1 more minute.

This soup has allot of flavor but is made EXTRA special with good timing.
    You DO NOT want to overcook the potatoes or kale. The potatoes should be firm and the kale should still be a bit crisp.

ENJOY!

2. noway

noway

hey that sounds better than some of the Kale only receipes mention below. One question are you boiling the sausage and then draining off some of the water after you do the veggies and right before serving?

I might try the above but subsitute a Kielbasa for Italian. I do someting similiar to what you wrote but I boil a flavored Kielbasa for about 10mins and let it simmer for about 30-50 and add savoy cabbage along with boiler onions, 2 crush garlic cloves and russian fingerling potatotes and smoke ham or bacon for seasoning. Very simple meal with alot of flavor. I cook the whole mess until the potatoe are soft but not mushy and the cabbage is soft some what.

3. HKMark23

HKMark23 Millennium Member

I do not throw out any of the water after cooking the sausage, I use that to boil the potatoes, etc.
    (if the sausage has allot of fat I will skim some of it off the top of the water before cooking the potatoes in it)

The onion, garlic, bacon is all sauted in a seperate pan and then added to the water at the same time as the potatoes.

I didnt specify, but I do use Italian sausage too, I will note that above.