close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

For those with P320s, how is the polymer holding up?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by cowboy1964, Apr 18, 2017.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

these frames scuff/ scratch so easily, how is yours holding up?

[​IMG]

2. Jump Boot

Jump Boot

So far,so good but I have only had my compact for a month.After I bought it,I read some posts where the claim was made that the frames scratch easily.The verdict is still out on mine as every time I take it to the range,the high bore axis plays with my mind.I may keep it nice for a trade in or sell.If the frames scratch that easy then that will be another gig against it.

3. bac1023

bac1023

It's not the greatest polymer. It should hold up fine, it just shows a lot of use from the used examples I've seen.

I think it's a cheaply made gun all around, which is true of several of the newer polymers on the market.

4. nevernuffglock

nevernuffglock

I agree 100% the ones I've seen at the store were brand new and scuffed up like you wouldn't believe. At least not for a new gun.

5. 45caldan

45caldan

I can't argue on the cheap looking polymer (though I haven't seen a P320 with "pig nose") but otherwise I don't think its any more cheaply made than the other poly strikers in its class. YMMV...

Horn likes this.
  6. vart

vart

Yeah... I went to an LGS last weekend and asked to fondle a P320 since I've never held one.

Felt wonderful; great ergonomics, trigger was light and crisp. But it looked like a Taurus... The polymer was already showing wear from being a display model, the stamped steel-looking trigger was ugly, and overall just had a very cheap feel to it.

Was not impressed. :dunno:

nevernuffglock likes this.
  7. Jump Boot

Jump Boot

Actually,the trigger was the one thing I did like about it.With all the MIM parts on pistols now days,I ain't going to let a stamped trigger bother me.At least it fit my finger with a nice radius. The Glock trigger is ok but I have had both pointing fingers smashed in the fab shop and although they are ok,I have tingling in them whenever they tough something.But that bore axis,my,I feel like the slide is going to fall off if I lean it to far.Buyer's remorse is not fun.I need to shoot it more that's for sure.Like the Glock,I had to get used to it too.I just hope my frame doesn't scratch up like yours.I'll be.................!

8. bac1023

bac1023

Eh, I think it's in the lower half, quite honestly.

I don't think it's as well built as a PX4, P30, FNS/FNX, Steyrs, or Sig's older SP2022. I think even a Glock, M&P, PPQ, P09, and VP9 feel a bit more solid.

I thought the hammer fired P250 was junk when it came out. I think the P320 is a better gun, but similar from a build quality perspective.

I put the Sig halfway towards the class of the Rugers polymers, Walther PPX, Remington RP9, etc. That's the way I see it, somewhere between.

packinaglock likes this.
  9. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Dump The Hump"

My older 2015 model shows some wear as the finish on the frame was quite smooth and does shows scuffs easily. My newer 2017 version with the revised frame, has a bit more of a texturing and doesn't show scuffs near as bad.

I think its actually quite funny, the Sig slide finish is one of the toughest I have seen. drug my slide against some concrete, and it actually scraped the concrete, and didn't hurt the finish at all. Sigs frame finish isn't the best out there, but if you want a flawless pistol, spend 40 bucks and keep a clean frame laying around.

Glock frames are the toughest out there as far as resistance to abrasions and such. Yet their new slide finish is the worst I have seen. Rubbed against a blue jean rivet and it left a nice permanent beauty mark.

Could Sig have invested more in the frame material, sure, but why. Beat the crap out of it for a while and throw on a new frame and there ya go. I am more concerned about the internal build quality, and with the 320, the frame is just a place holder for all the good stuff.

The Polymer on the PPQ is very close to that of the 320. My PPQ showed scuffs super quick, and 40 wasn't going to bring it back to new condition. I guess the modularity of the 320 is good if you want new looking firearm.

TXPO

10. pblanc

pblanc

I have 4 P320/250 grip modules. Two came with complete pistols (full-size P320 45 and compact P320 9) and I bought a subcompact grip module to use on the compact P320. I also have a subcompact P250.

I haven't acquired any real scratches on any of them and they have spent some time kicking around the bottom of my range bag. The polymer does seem prone to acquire very superficial scuff marks, which you can see in the photo starting this thread. I find if I wipe the grip module with a silicone cloth, these go away pretty nicely.

If one of my grip modules does acquire enough ugly scratches to bother me, I will pony up $35-40 and buy a new one. Not much of anything to worry about, IMO.

Horn, dpadams6 and 45caldan like this.
  11. John Biltz

John Biltz

I don't know what to think about this. On one hand that sounds pretty bad; on the other hand I consider magazines expendable items and the cost of the frame is about the cost of a magazine. On the third hand I guess we know why the frames cost so little, they are cheaply made.

12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I may still try a 320 Compact but this frame scuffing really irritates the hell out of me. It's like Glock's poor slide finishes. Yeah it's "only" cosmetic but it shouldn't even be an issue at all. Given how inexpensive 320 frames are I'm thinking of playing with Duracoat or stippling anyway so it really won't be a factor.

But what the hell are these companies thinking? It's not like they just started making guns yesterday.

13. 45caldan

45caldan

What should they think? Are these not tools for SD we are talking about and not jewelry?
    Guns used to be blued and have wood grips. They showed PLENTY of wear...
    I think most carry or SD guns these days are miles ahead in terms of durability of finish compared to blued steel and wooden grips....

Horn, Kaw999, packinaglock and 2 others like this.
  14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I had some scuffing on a Walther polymer frame, some light scrubbing with a Scotch Brite make it look like new. I wonder how that would work on the 320?

Jump Boot likes this.
  15. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

A new frame is $40.00. It takes about 60 seconds to change it out.

But not a big deal for me. I am interested in how it shoots, not how it looks. And the P320 is a very good shooter!

Horn, Tedge, 72Cheyenne and 8 others like this.
  16. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

My point being that other polymer guns have NO such issues. Glock polymer, and M&P & HK polymer and slides in particular are extremely robust. This isn't rocket science. It's not even demanding polymer science, it's pretty damn basic product design.

17. 45caldan

45caldan

Personally I think this whole thread is much ado about nothing....
    Out

Horn, packinaglock and JBnTX like this.
  18. Berto

Berto woo woo

I always thought scuffs and scratches indicated use and character. :headscratch:

Horn, Tedge, packinaglock and 2 others like this.
  19. powernoodle

powernoodle

Hearing The Truth spoken is like a cool ocean breeze on a hot summer day.

20. oldandtreacherous

oldandtreacherous

I've got a .40 NIB I haven't shot yet. My nephew works security for a large corporation and they ordered P320s with NSs for everyone to replace their 229s, then decided to go with the MPX SBR before the 320s were ever fired. I got two for $250 apiece, sold one and got my money back. Gonna keep the "free" one and hope to scuff it up some.

Horn likes this.