Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Vortex Strike Eagle on my AR15. I’ve noticed that I am always using it at either 1x or 6x magnification, never in between. I’m just curious if you find the same thing or not. If not, and you use the 2x, 3x, 4x, or 5x magnification, when and why do you use it?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I have a Nikon 3-9x40 scope and I tend to do the same thing. Lowest magnification when scanning then highest magnification when the target is identified. About the only time I use an intermediate magnification is when I need a little more detail while scanning.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I've got a Leupold 3-9x40 w/dot
on my rabbit hunting AR. The area we hunt is a chain of small foothills separated by about 100 yards of sagebrush flat. I start out on 3x for the up close shots, switch to 5/6 as they run to the top of the hill, and then after we crest the hill 9x to catch the ones running across the next flat and halfway up the next hill.

·
NRA Life Member
13,477 Posts
I think you will find this is true with most rifle scopes. I hunt a lot and almost all my rifle scopes are 2.5-8 or 2.5-10 of some variation. They are almost always set on the lowest setting and if something shows at 350 yards I can crank it it. Out to 100-150 yards the 2.5 setting is almost always what I use.

During low light conditions I occasionally find it useful to use an intermediate setting. I have found some the the really high magnification scopes like 20-25X unusable on really hot days with lots of mirage and you have to dial it down to 10-16X to be able to see the target.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts