close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

for those with a Glock 21 and USP .45

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Joshua2004, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Joshua2004

Joshua2004

2. Esox357

Esox357

Don't own either but have shot both. The HK was was very accurate but I don't like the added controls such as the safety/decocker combined. In all fairness I haven't shot the HK enough in 45 to really get to like it. I have shot another USP 40 and did really enjoy it, still didn't like the decock/safety. The glock 21 I shot had a 3.5 connector and was fairly accurate. I would buy the HK for target use but use the glock for carry. Really you need to decide what fits and works for you. They are both great firearms! Esox357

3. Glock30fan

Glock30fan Cmbt Tupperware

I have both and could not really give a preference. They are both so different.
    A few random thoughts:
    -The Glock has a low bore axis which I have always preferred. It is much lower than the H&K.
    -The H&K seems to have more muzzle flip (likely because of the higher bore axis) than the Glock.
    -In a long shooting session with just these two pistols the H&K became the preferred gun. The fullsize USP .45 has a recoil reduction system built into the recoil spring unit. After many hundreds of rounds over an hour the Glock hurt like heck to shoot while the H&K was still fun to shoot. The combination of the high bore axis and the recoil reducer make the H&K very "soft" shooting.
    -The grip on the Glock feels bigger but more ergonomic (with third gen. fingergrooves) than the H&K.
    -The decocker/safety on the H&K seems superfluous to a Glock person like myself.
    -The H&K seems more topheavy.

4. KK20

KK20

i own the G21 and the USP45. i agree with glock30fan on many of the points he mentioned.

i have large hands and the 3rd gen G21 feels better in my hand. for my USP i added the hogue grips and that improved it tremendously.

the USP is softer shooting than the G21

my G21 shoots tighter groups than my USP but for carry purposes thats nothing at all.

using exact ammo in both my G21 and USP i had more fail to feed, fail to fire, or extraction with the G21 than the USP. keep in mind it was minimal anyway and still consider the G21 reliable.

the USP appears top heavy and the higher bore axis will make some anticipate that the gun needs more to shoot it. the USP is very easy to shoot accurately and is a pleasure to shoot.

i am a glock man ie prefer that trigger system. when i carry the USP i carry with hammer down for DA first shot SA subsequent shots and train for it like that. i do not use the levers.

there is talk about de-cocking the gun under stress but i have never had that happen to me, it takes deliberate pressure on that lever to de-cock the USP.

i do however dislike the magazine release as it can (and did) drop my mag while the gun rode in the IWB holster that i have.

my main carry gun is the G20 but if i had to carry any other i will carry the USP.

5. Bikerpreacher

Bikerpreacher NRA Endowment

I have a Glock 21 and two HK 45's, one a USP and the other a match pistol. The glock has had quite a bit of work done to it, connector, trigger spring, KKM barrel, stainless guide rod with captured spring, and a mag well. It shoots very well, but still not as well as the HK's. As mentioned above, the HK's are very soft and accurate to shoot. I tend to shoot the HK's predominantly in single action mode. The decocker and mag release on the HK are no more difficult to manipulate than any other pistol, and as far as accidental release of the mag, I have done that on my G21 with the extended mag release.
    To answer your question, I do appreciate the HK more than the Glock, but for the price difference, I would expect there to be a noticable difference. It is pretty hard to compare a $1200 match pistol to a glock that I have spent hardly $525 on even heavily modified.
    As mentioned, make sure to take the time to try both and see which fits you the best.

6. KK20

KK20

i forgot to include that the HK frame gets scratched and nicked easily while the glock frame takes much more thrown its way.

7. JAYRUNNINGDEER

JAYRUNNINGDEER Integrity First

I have and use both and agree with everything that Glock30fan states, except the that it hurts to shoot after a long day. My Glock 30 hurts to shoot after a long day. I had the opportunity to take the G 21 and the USP 45 to a 5 day advanced pistol course and after 3000 plus rounds in a week between both guns, the G 21 is my pick. If you are buying it for personal safety/carry, dont get the extended mag release because you will release the mag if you have a holster that rides close to your body and you are moving and bending, as Bikerpreacher stated. I also agree with the KK20 on the HE finish on the Hk, it does not hold up well. My Hk look like the have 20,000 rounds through it and the slide is almost shiny from the hard holster work.
    The dividing factors are the reset time for the G21. I am much faster with it because it does not recoil as much, double action all the time gives you the confidence to press the trigger faster because of motor memory. The USP Double action first round can cause a slight and I mean slight hesistation to get the round on target. Practice will get you over it. The G21 has no control lever for safe and decock, I cannot tell you how many time in the timed stres shoots my thumb on my right hand inadvertently bumped the safety on, not good. I resolved it with a different detent. Now my Hk has no safety, decock only. During this week only the Hk JAMMED on me. I am not talking malfunction. Take down of the G21 will only need the Glock tool or a 1/8 punch drilled into a dowel. The Hk will need plier, punches, and a hammer (all the way to the firing pin out). Finally, the price. The Hk was 750.00, the Glock was 450.00. The magazines for the Hk were 55.00 now the are 40.00. The Glock was 19.99 then and they are still. This is for Hi cap/LE then and now.

The challenge I had shooting both was the point of aim, the G21 requires you to lock your wrist forward of what you would need for the Hk, I had to remind myself what gun I was shoot for the that reason and the long first round trigger pull of the Hk.

If you are target shooting, get the Hk Match or SOCOM, they shoot straight. If you want to win the gunfight, G21 my friend.

Good luck

JaY