For those who shoot on their property: Lead?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by CDR_Glock, Mar 17, 2017.

1. fx77

fx77 CLM

Don't let the EPA track down your IP address!!! I will cost millions. :)

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Yeah, that would be funny. :)

I have a 25+ yard range in the back yard and a 115 yard range in the woods about 400 yards from the house.

The fired cases that can't be reloaded, such as Russian steel cases that are shot on the longer range are just tossed into the woods.

I joke that some future generation will find these rusted cases and fired bullets and think a hell of a battle took place here. :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017

3. 10mmJamie

10mmJamie

That's funny, right there.

There are piles of those Russian/Chicom empties in several places around here, so... I'll just tell any anti that 'there was a helluva battle here' during the WWII struggle. It would take an exceptional liberal to know better.

4. Mingo

Mingo

Yes I shoot on my own property. No, I have no concerns about it contaminating the ground. It came out of the ground in the first place. When I first apprenticed at Ironworking, I started where everybody did, in the paint depts. and this was when we still used both Red and White lead. We would literally get soaked in the stuff from head to top of boots. Also, when I was young, all our houses, the woodwork inside them AND the baby cribs were painted with lead paint. Bet you've never seen a baby chew on his/her crib have you? hahaha.
    Just MHO but I think the whole thing is blown out of proportion about like Al Gore's Global Warming.
    BTW: This isn't lead but any of you like those white cream topped and or filled donuts? Read on the label of one of the 5 gal. buckets from the deli what makes that sugar & oil mix White! White PAINT Pigment and people gobble it up. Titanium Dioxide!
    All the steam heat pipes in the school (elementary) that I attended were insulated with thick coatings & wraps of Asbestos and to my knowledge, none of us has died from mesothelioma yet. We used to hammer on the pipes with out fist when the sun was shining brightly to see the clouds of "Stuff" poof out of them, that of course being powdered asbestos.
    I think a whole lot of this stuff is Way Overblown or else none of us would still be here. The population would have died off long ago.

Oh yes, One more. When I went to school for electronic tech. they taught us to use our Third Hand when needed to hold the coil of solder while one hand held the component to be soldered and the other held the soldering pencil. That "third hand" was the teeth in our mouths & yes it was of course Lead solder back then.!

I don't worry about the hand cast bullets I plant out back in the ground the slightest bit as far as contamination goes.

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

And I bet you got Mercury from the school chem class and spent the day rubbing the Mercury on Nickels and Dimes with your fingers to make them Silver.

Now if a Mercury thermometer breaks the Haz Met team is called out.

6. 10mmJamie

10mmJamie

GOLLY, dude, th' EPA gonna be huntin' you down. :cheers:

Those commie environmentalists have always been heavily invested in scaring folks to hell and back. They rejoice when they can get our skins to crawl with their great warnings of imminent disaster and ruin. If it isn't lead, it's asbestos, if neither, then it's Man Made Global Warming... or vaccinations.. or who knows what else.
    There is, however, good reason to not want kids to be exposed to lead- Pb. Good, dependable studies show that lead accumulation in kids' brains lowers cognitive skills. aka.. IQ functioning.

Mark2Glock likes this.
  7. Mark2Glock

Mark2Glock Redneck Handyman

If you did have an elevated lead level in blood streams then eating italian/American food with tomato paste and garlic will take the lead out of your system especially shooting indoors ;-) More spaghetti and garlic n cheese bread is fine with me.

8. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Now why didn't I know that when I was in school.
    I could have blamed my poor grades on lead. :)

9. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I don't shoot on our property, because it's inside the City limits. We are considering moving out of town and setting up a pistol bay is one of the main incentives, so I have thought about this some.

I would not be concerned about the lead having an adverse chemical effect on me or anyone else. But if we ever wanted to sell the property, a prospective buyer might be concerned (legitimately or otherwise) about contamination. I'm not sure of the complete mitigation scope that could come into play, but it could be pretty expensive, especially in the context of a private sale.

I've worked on a few commercial and institutional development projects with decontamination involved, and it can be a big deal. You don't necessarily have to agree with the need for cleanup in order to be liable for it.

10. GcB

GcB Can't type, don't spell, what's grammar.

Building a shooting box to hold sand for a backstop or just piling sand on a couple of thick rubber horse stall mats from tractor supply will give you an easy inexpensive way to localize lead for removal and make clean up easy in case of pending sale to snooty liberal anti gun vegan from city.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark2Glock likes this.
  11. Mingo

Mingo

YES, you got it! Looked net spilled on the floor and then all the little silver balls pushed together to form back into one larger like the "Metal Mad" did on Terminator "whichever one". Bet your no young whipper snapper either are ya? They'll call in the HazMat team if you report a broken CFL light bulb also and we use to bust those long 8 ft. ones during recess when the janitor threw them into the big trash burning pit right outside the front of the school. Kaboom, we Loved it :)
    I get so sick & tired of people or agencies or coalitions out there trying to "Protect Me". Actually, they just hold down good paying jobs doing little of nothing except *****ing at people.
    We used to mix up batches of Ammoniumnitrogentriodide after chem. class and put little pieces of it on sugar cubes and place them in the window sills during Springtime when it got warm and they opened the windows.
    Kamikaze flies would fly in the open windows and land on the sugar cubes and blow themselves to smithereens :)
    Ahh the FUN of the olden days :)

12. tielz

tielz

That made me really, really sick back around 2000. I will never forget it.

13. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I know a guy who fits this description to a T. All into organic food because its healthier yet dabbles in dope.

As to the OP's question about lead, I feel my low to moderate level of shooting presents no danger as far as lead in the soil, but I am no scientist so I dont really know. Seems like a very minor concern in the grand scheme of things.

14. Brass3

Brass3

I don't worry about it

15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Not at the levels you would find at a range.

Can't wait to see what happens if and when Hickok45 ever tries to sell his land.

16. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Yeah lead poisoning isn't a thing at all.

17. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Would depend upon upon the region and the range.

I'd like for my property to be one of those regions where gold occurs more naturally in the ground than in other regions :)

FLIPPER 348 and willie_pete like this.
  18. 10mmJamie

10mmJamie

FOR THE TRULY CURIOUS:
    http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro00/web2/Patel.html

Most of the dysfunctions produced by the absorption of lead are due to lead's ability to mimic and inhibit the actions of calcium. (2) In humans the lead is directly absorbed, distributed, and excreted. Once in the bloodstream lead is distributed to three main compartments: blood, soft tissue (kidney, bone marrow, liver, and brain), and mineralized tissue (bones and teeth). (3) Lead effects children and adults in different ways. Low lead levels in children can cause the following side effects:

• Nervous system and kidney damage.
    • Learning disabilities, attention deficit disorder, and decreased intelligence.
    • Speech, language, and behavior problems.
    • Poor muscle coordination.
    • Decreased muscle and bone growth.
    • Hearing damage.
    • Seizures, unconsciousness, and death. (4)
    In adults high levels of lead in their systems can cause the following:
    • Increased chance of illness during pregnancy.
    • Harm to a fetus, including brain damage or death.
    • Fertility problems (in men and women).
    • High blood pressure.
    • Digestive problems.
    • Nerve disorders.
    • Memory and concentration problems.
    • Muscle and joint pain. (4)