For those who shoot on their property: Lead?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by CDR_Glock, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

No.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  2. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

Right. A family of four, or even 20, even if they were all shooters, are never going to accumulate enough lead to cause any problems. And the best thing to do is learn to reload and cast your own bullets, and shoot into a stack or two of old tires filled with dirt. Then when the tires get so many holes in them that you can't staple targets on to them any more, remove the tires and sift the dirt and recycle the lead.

3. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

Lead affects to raptors and scavenger birds are not propaganda. Gut piles and animals left to rod can be devistating to them.

4. peng

peng

Lead effects to waterfowl are also real due to how they process their food.

However, I would opine that more ducks have been wounded and not recovered by hunters due to steel shot than any that were poisoned by lead. #steelsucks.

DocCasualty likes this.
  5. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Lead is not much of an issue. I can't shoot at my house. The range takes the lead out every year or so.

6. Haz Matt

Haz Matt

I once had a job where I had to work with large amounts of lead - this was before lead joined the poison of the month club. I also grew up with lead based paint on the walls, lead pipe and God knows what else with lead in it. And all the ammo we shot was lead.
    I've been exposed to a huge amount of lead, breathing, ingesting (inadvertently) and I know a lot of other guys (old like me) who have done the same thing.
    Blood tests have never revealed any significant amount of lead in my system. And I've had quite a few looking just for lead.
    I believe this fear of lead is only to stop conventional ammo production.

Consider this: There are still hundreds of miles of lead sheathed telephone cable around the country. One of the major problems with it is squirrel bites. Years ago AT&T did a study and found the squirrels eat the lead because something is missing in their diet.

Environmentalists have lost credibility because of fear based policies and stratagems.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  7. 10mmJamie

10mmJamie

This.

FLIPPER 348 and willie_pete like this.
  8. loweryb221

loweryb221

I'm much more worried about that "waste management" facility dumping "treated" sewage a few miles up the road.

9. 10mmJamie

10mmJamie

That's a problem. More dangerous, perhaps, is your neighbor's burn barrel sending clouds of poisonous gases for you and your family to breathe. Everyone has to breathe.. who has the right to 'flavor' their neighbor's air with dioxins, etc?

tielz likes this.
  10. Mark2Glock

Mark2Glock Redneck Handyman

Only thing I have ever seen on the farm is dead trees being shot all the hell up for being in the way. :)
    We just cut them for woodburner heating as it s easier cut, split and seasoned to the point.

11. Grouch

Grouch

Would this information be helpful?

" Lead immobilization is most highly correlated with organic chelation. Metallic lead once on the surface of the soil does not break down."

http://johnrlott.tripod.com/Marcusstudy.pdf

12. Firearmfanatic

Firearmfanatic The Enabler

Ha ha ha! We pretty much have the same set up in my area. Darn trees are always in the way! :dancingbanana:

Mark2Glock likes this.
  13. DesertGlock20

DesertGlock20 Semper Vigilis

My well was originally an ag well with corrals adjacent to it. It is 350' deep with 100' of water. Now it supplies my house, which was built after the fact. The corral is still in use with horse and cow crap that is cleaned out with a skid steer once a year.

I have had my water tested over the years with absolutely no evidence of any contamination. This, when the county has a minimum distance limit on having a well near a septic system. When asked about that restriction vs my situation, they said, "Good point. We haven't thought of that."

I don't think I would be concerned about lead poisoning unless one favored gun range dirt for a diet.

Mark2Glock and CDR_Glock like this.
  14. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

If lead was even a small fraction as dangerous as it's made out to be, NO ONE in my generation would be alive today (I'm 79).
    From birth we LIVED surrounded by lead. We ate it and breathed it. As babies our toys were lead, even our cribs and house was painted with lead.

Some of us shooters shot lead bullets, in poorly ventilated indoor for YEARS.
    Some of us cast lead bullets for many years.

Our cars ran on leaded gas.

Etc, etc, etc,

It's just common sense.
    My whole generation should have died out, at least by our 20's, if lead was actually anywhere near as big a danger as the Feds make it out to be.

The only reason for the lead scare is to create jobs for the Feds.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    CDR_Glock likes this.
  15. 10mmJamie

10mmJamie

"The only reason for the lead scare is to create jobs for the Feds."

And Job #1 for feds is to harness us infidels and believers in the US Constitution by any means possible.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  16. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

People are still finding fully intact oxidized lead balls from the Civil War. You have nothing to worry about.

17. rjr573

rjr573 The Prop Doctor

No worries about it at all...

CDR_Glock likes this.
  18. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Thanks. These replies are reassuring.

I'm just wanting to make sure I'm a good neighbor.

19. G29guy06

G29guy06

wow...I def don't put enough rounds down range to have that thought pop up in my head, but its a legit question...

My assumption is along w/ Ithaca: lead is natural and in the ground nature has its way of dealing w/ it

20. 10mmJamie

10mmJamie

The only thing I can think of that would cause me any problems is if I try to sell the farm to one of those CT or NYC retirees who would be totally DEVASTATED if they thought anyone actually fired a GUN on the very same land their little feet are planted upon. :cowboy: