For those who shoot on their property: Lead?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by CDR_Glock, Mar 17, 2017.

1. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

For people who shoot firearms on their own property, do you worry about lead levels in your soil? Are there things to mitigate that?

I have considered shooting in my backyard (we have a little over 7.5 acres). I just wonder about the lead getting into the streams and soil....

2. JDSTG58

JDSTG58

Yes, I do 99.9% of my shooting on my property. I'm on what's left of my grandfather's farm. My family and others have hunted and shot here for over 80 years.

I'm sure there is lead here, but no impact I can discern yet.

As far as my shooting lead now, I use large blocks of firewood as my targets/ bullet traps. I shoot about 1k 45 per month. I cast my own lead bullets and reload. Once a year I will put out new blocks and burn the old to get my lead back to reuse. I do lose some, but I can get most back.
    My blocks are usually oak and about 3 foot diameter and 18 inches thick.

Edit
    Just to note, I handle a lot of lead in my casting, reloading, and reclaiming it for reuse. I've had my lead levels checked and they are still in the low-normal range. Main thing to remember is common sense safety. Wash your hands, don't eat/drink/ smoke while handling it. If you cast or otherwise melt lead do it outside with ventilation.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Lead is natural in the ground.

A danger at an indoor range is the air born particles and lack of ventilation.

Brass3, don m, Grumpy_old_man and 5 others like this.
  4. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Once lead oxidizes it doesn't migrate.

wp

Brass3, don m, orangejeep06 and 3 others like this.
  5. JohnnyJ

JohnnyJ God, Family and Friends

Western Illinois on the banks of the Mississippi
    I do not worry about it at all.

6. Firearmfanatic

Firearmfanatic The Enabler

I shoot on my own property and do not worry about any lead contamination to the land or any nearby water supplies. I feel there is already other things already present to worry about than the small amount I am introducing to the soil or water supplies in the area.

Brass3, Jason Glockman, don m and 4 others like this.
  7. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

Now that the EPA has had it fangs pulled, it shouldn't be a problem.

The government has closed several public ranges due to lead concerns but I doubt if a private range would or if a private range would ever accumulate enough for it to be a health concern.

I like the idea of a backstop that can be burned and the lead recovered.

Brass3 and don m like this.
  8. SargeMO

SargeMO

Last I checked, lead exists naturally in the soil.

9. Chordeiles

Chordeiles

The first person I thought about when I read this was hickok45. LOL!

I usually average 1,000 rounds a month in my back yard. I don't worry about it.

rjr573 and CDR_Glock like this.
  10. banger

banger

Actually, there have been studies by the EPA on this subject.

In the Northeast, there are police firing ranges that have existed for DECADES which have absorbed quite literally MILLIONS of rounds of ammunition.

The study found that they did in fact detect elevated levels of lead in the top few feet of soil in the impact areas.

However, they found no evidence even a modest distance down, and zero evidence of lead leaching into the ground water.

What it came down to is... even the most basic of safe handling (don't eat the dirt) and there is virtually no increased exposure.

In fact, there is higher contamination risk of handling the ammunition as opposed to firing it.

11. GcB

GcB Can't type, don't spell, what's grammar.

I shoot on my property and have a well and a spring that get tested, never an issue with lead levels.
    If you don't have some natural backstop to place targets in front of, throw up a good berm to shoot into and you will localize the lead and can then remove that dirt someday if the need ever arises.
    I've found a few old musket balls in the dirt around Fort Ticonderoga in my youth and while oxidized and pitted, they probably could have been shot again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

No.

I've been shooting in the back yard since 1967.
    In my opinion the hazards of lead are way overblown......unless it's ingested.

I wonder just how many Government jobs have been created by the "hazards" of lead.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  13. Nannyhammer

Nannyhammer

I shoot a bit on our place but use a sand filled plastic drum sitting on a stand made of treated wood to catch the lead. Once one side is shot full of holes I use a floor jack to pick it up and spin to a new side. After the barrel is shot out I sift the sand to catch as much lead as possible. Lead goes back in my stash and sand goes in new barrel.

14. SouthPaw 15

SouthPaw 15

And I use it for fishing

CDR_Glock likes this.
  15. Bilrus61

Bilrus61

My family has lived on this creek in Kentucky for about 150 years. When you think of the lead that has been lost just by the lead sinkers for fishing it's amazing. I remember big egg lead weights on lines and nets used. I just think that lead in the air and ingested is bad. Remember how Prof. Plum killed that guy in the Study with the Lead Pipe? Well water used to be sent everywhere in lead pipes. I think if it was really that bad everyone would be dead from it long ago.

I have a personal theory as to all this environmental stuff. Most of the strong environmentalist that I know also are drug users. I think its some kind of reaction to the fact they know they are poisoning themselves with these drugs so they try to "make up for it" by making a big deal of eating healthy (vegen) or exercising (jogging) and being strong about being anti "chemicals" (Roundup) even as they take dangerous stuff themselves. It seems to be a way of making drug use ok. "oh I'm so healthy in my life and environment I can get high tonight on whatever and I'll be fine in the long run because I have a healthy lifestyle".

16. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

Unless you are shooting depleted uranium there are no worries.

17. MisterHelix

MisterHelix

^ I dunno about all that.

I doubt many "hard drug" users give a crap about the environment, or anything else except getting their next fix.

I do suspect that some environmentalists smoke weed, but doubt that they are "poisoning themselves" with it, as it's essentially non-toxic.

If that logic were true, people consuming alcohol (a known toxin) would be statistically more likely to be avid environmentalists.

(Just following logic, I don't consume any of it, including alcohol.)

I worried some about shooting on my land, but looked it up and found that even very heavy lead use areas (skeet ranges, etc) had relatively little issue with lead leaching.

18. littletank

littletank

Here in deliverance country we don't worry about it as long as it's a safe place to shoot.

First shot and CDR_Glock like this.
  19. davethehiker

davethehiker

I asked a friend who works for the EPA about this. I have 13 acres and personal firing range. He asked if I'm shooting near a well that I use for drinking water. I answered "no." He answered, "Then there is no problem."

First shot, wv gman and orangejeep06 like this.
  20. oldman11

oldman11

I'm sure we all know by now that the anti lead rulings have really just been an anti gun harassment move the libs. And they got it passed through the courts with a bunch of lies and propaganda.