GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Scottish Member
11,208 Posts
Not a good idea to dip your gloved hand into water, then grab something that might turn it into
steam!
I know this, don't ask me how I know. (aka - Stupid Tax).

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Go into any gun range that rents guns and ask what guns runs the best without cleaning and I’ll bet the answer is GLOCKS

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not sure who says they are plastic junk? Anyway, I was kind of on the fence about getting a Glock. I know they have a reputation for reliability, but they seem kind of vanilla to me, and still do to be honest. But then I saw a video on YouTube, maybe it was Garand Thumb, where he buried a Glock 19 in dirt a couple of times, kept it firing, then threw it hard against a boulder a couple of times, and it still kept firing. That had me convinced. Now I carry a G48 and compete with a G17.

·
A swamp dude
10,917 Posts
If we’re being honest, we all know Glocks are really good guns. They don’t suit everybody, but that’s not a bad thing.

I own Glocks, shoot them and depend on their reliability. One occupies my nightstand every night, but the chamber is empty because Glock doesn’t provide a manual safety.

Not every gun is perfect, but Glock passes most of the tests that are important to me. Being able to fire in full auto or rack up 10,000 rounds without cleaning or firing after 2 years of being buried in a flower bed isn’t important to me.

I bash Glock sometimes, but I like ‘em a lot.

·
Registered
11,861 Posts
Not a good idea to dip your gloved hand into water, then grab something that might turn it into
steam!
Plus the fact that water is really good conducter of heat.
He just needed better gloves.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
It has been a very long time since I heard anyone opine that Glocks are plastic junk. Really, not since they were about the only polymer pistols out there. Back when people were claiming they could pass through the airport x-ray machines undetected. I guess there are a few folks who still don't like polymer guns in general, tho.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts
yeah, I saw that video some time ago, and at that time I asked myself...why? Who is going to run a Glock like that?

it's sort of like demonstrating that condom still maintains it's integrity at radiation levels of 10Gy. I mean, unless you're going to employ a Chernobyl hooker, what's the point?

·
Previously Beard Man
41 Posts
Because so many people are doing things like this to their guns?
No, it's more like a comparison of two designs, where the SIG design is more advanced.

This doesn't mean that the Glock has a bad design (just different), but since the slide guides is part of the receiver, once it meltdown you'll need a new gun, and with the SIG you'll only need the receiver,which costs about $50,without any FFL transfer/register.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
No, it's more like a comparison of two designs, where the SIG design is more advanced.

This doesn't mean that the Glock has a bad design (just different), but since the slide guides is part of the receiver, once it meltdown you'll need a new gun, and with the SIG you'll only need the receiver,which costs about $50,without any FFL transfer/register.
But nobody is melting down their Glocks.

·
Patrol Corporal
839 Posts
Go into any gun range that rents guns and ask what guns runs the best without cleaning and I’ll bet the answer is GLOCKS
Very true. You can also ask the instructors at a police academy. Not about dirty guns, but about high round count guns.
Some of the academies around here have had G17s north of 100,000 rounds. The only consistent problem they report is the trigger return spring in gen 3s.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If we’re being honest, we all know Glocks are really good guns. They don’t suit everybody, but that’s not a bad thing.

I own Glocks, shoot them and depend on their reliability. One occupies my nightstand every night, but the chamber is empty because Glock doesn’t provide a manual safety.

Not every gun is perfect, but Glock passes most of the tests that are important to me. Being able to fire in full auto or rack up 10,000 rounds without cleaning or firing after 2 years of being buried in a flower bed isn’t important to me.

I bash Glock sometimes, but I like ‘em a lot.
I too had my Glock with an empty chamber (always carried a Colt Combat Commander in condition 2)
I now have a loaded chamber on all of my Glocks, It took some time to be comfortable.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts