GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
S&W Bodyguard with Buffalo Bore 100g +P Hardcast

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3b3ZGmZuT0"]BuffaloBore 380 ACP +P 100 grain Hardcast in Gelatin - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
981 Posts
When I carry my Kahr P380, it is usually loaded with Buffalo Bore 95 grain jacketed hollow point +P. The loads seem a bit stouter than the standard pressure.

I would caution against higher pressure loads unless you know your gun can handle it. Not all 380 ACP handguns have a locked breach. Maybe you can go with a stronger spring with some, but I would be cautious.

It might me better to go with the Buffalo Bore Hard Cast 100 grain +P if penetration is an issue.

No matter what you choose, you should test it with your pistol. The little pistols seen to be a bit choosy on the ammo. Also, make sure you know the useful life of the recoil spring(s). They are stiff to make up for the lack of slide weight. I expect they will weaken sooner than springs on standard service pistols.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
KelTec .380 Buffalo Bore 100 gr Hardcast.

·
Limp Member
1,264 Posts
AMT .380 Backup old single action.

I have some 115gr JHP +P. It's from back in the late 80's and isn't made any more. I bought them at a gun show in Dallas.

It doesn't expand much, about .40 to .45" but it has decent penetration for a .380.

It's WAY overpressure and I've never fired too many of them. Huge Blue Dot type muzzle flash. Got about 35 left out of a box of 50 rounds.

Spyder
Way back when, I had one of those AMT, backup 380's. It wasn't a terrible gun just a little too heavy. It did have one bothersome problem though . . . the safety bar pin used to break off at the rear where it went into the frame. Mine broke at least twice that I recall. I ended up selling it to another guy on our department. Now a days, I carry a Sig 238 with Hornady critical defense (90 GR) ammo. It carries and conceals nicely.

·
Registered
10,777 Posts
I don't have a .380ACP any longer but when I did I usually carried the Remington 102-grain Golden Saber. About six months before I parted with my .380ACP I had become convinced that for this caliber a high velocity hardcast FMJ round would be the best carry ammo for self-defense with a pocket pistol in this caliber.

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
My Ruger LCP rides on my ankle every day at work (as a backup). Right now it is stoked with PMC starfire, which was designed by Tom Burczynski, the same gent who designed the Federal Hydrashok.

I prefer nickel plated cases for an ankle gun. Ankle guns and ammo are subjected to too much dirt, grit, and moisture.

Edit: My 10mm, .40's, and 9mm's I don't mind having to use. The .380 I hope I don't have to use. I am glad it is there just the same.

·
Banned
6,920 Posts
At the end of my certification course, this

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/quantitative-ammunition-selection-charles-schwartz/1111477049?ean=9781475929041

was on a list of several books that our CCW instructor gave us.

After reading it, I'll be sticking with FMJs when I carry my .380
Personally, I tend to strongly agree. I even stoke my G-21's with 230 grain FMJ ammo during the winter months.

To answer the OP's questions: It doesn't really matter; and I don't really care; but, I've been using Magtech 95 grain FMJ in my 380 auto. At the moment, though, I'm using Fiocchi, 'Extrema XTP' cartridges with 90 grain JHP heads. I got a good price on a lot of this ammo; (in several different calibers) it's nice 'n hot and blossoms ....... OK. Not great, but, OK.

I occasionally carry (weddings and funerals) a German-made Walther PPK-S that I've owned for the past 35 years. In 4 or 5 hundred rounds it has, never once, jammed on me! Austin Behlert did an action job on it, and SS Armoloy-plated it for me. It's a nice little pistol and carries well underneath lightweight suits and Summer wear.

(I don't lose a lot of sleep worrying about what I've got in either my 32 or 380 autos. Wait until you're close; shoot straight; empty the clip; go for the head, and you'll be fine. Which, now that I think about it, is probably, 'Why' I always carry one of these guns with three full magazines - I consider them to be, basically, 3 shot pistols!) :cool:

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
I carry an LCP fairly often. In the summer I carry Remington GS and the in winter I load with Buffalo Bore 102gr cast.

·
Registered
491 Posts
In my lcp I carry Hornady Critical Defense.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I carry a Sig 238 with W-W 95 grain ball ammo. A lot of my retired LEO friends carry the Hornady Critical Defense round in a Ruger LCP.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Personally, I tend to strongly agree. I even stoke my G-21's with 230 grain FMJ ammo during the winter months.

To answer the OP's questions: It doesn't really matter; and I don't really care; but, I've been using Magtech 95 grain FMJ in my 380 auto. At the moment, though, I'm using Fiocchi, 'Extrema XTP' cartridges with 90 grain JHP heads. I got a good price on a lot of this ammo; (in several different calibers) it's nice 'n hot and blossoms ....... OK. Not great, but, OK.

I occasionally carry (weddings and funerals) a German-made Walther PPK-S that I've owned for the past 35 years. In 4 or 5 hundred rounds it has, never once, jammed on me! Austin Behlert did an action job on it, and SS Armoloy-plated it for me. It's a nice little pistol and carries well underneath lightweight suits and Summer wear.

(I don't lose a lot of sleep worrying about what I've got in either my 32 or 380 autos. Wait until you're close; shoot straight; empty the clip; go for the head, and you'll be fine. Which, now that I think about it, is probably, 'Why' I always carry one of these guns with three full magazines - I consider them to be, basically, 3 shot pistols!) :cool:
Assuming that you read the book, it looks like you took away a lot of what I did.

Your advise is right IMHO. Let 'em get close and let loose with a barrage of gunfire. :supergrin:

·
loves guns!
1,377 Posts
I carry Federal Hydra-Shoks in my Ruger LCP. By observing the results by others utilizing gelatin blocks and 4 layers of denim, this ammunition appears to be a good marriage of expansion as well as penetration.

If it wasn't for the issue of over penetration causing injury/death to an innocent bystander(s), I might consider the Winchester white box FMJ flat nose.

·
Bliksem
4,191 Posts
Remington 95 grain FMJ.

The FBI says that FMJ bullets did best in their testing of 380 ACP ammunition and better than JHP 380 ACP ammunition. The 95 grain FMJ's did better than the 90 grain FMJ's. Remington 95 grain FMJ's are loaded hotter than Winchester.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
LCP with ball.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
doubletap's XTP load in a P3AT. Don't carry it much, though.

FYI, over at mouseguns they over-analyze questions about .380 ACP bullet performance *way* more then we do here, and they have some good threads showing .380 performance test results.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've always carried Corbon dpx in my kahr p380. After going through this thread and watching more reviews online I am beginning to rethink this choice. My dpx only did 7 in pen. In some reviews and I'm not okay with that the more I think about it. I also don't feel that great about carrying fmj. I've never thought that was a good idea.

I'm back to square one I guess. I thought about some 100 gr hard cast from BB but after shipping its like 30$ for 20rds... No thanks
I wish underwood would load a gold dot 380. Maybe I'll try the standard gold dots they seem to do better than my dpx

21 - 40 of 51 Posts