close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

For those wanting a Tutorial to build your own...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by IndyGunFreak, Jan 13, 2007.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I picked up the Feb 07 issue of MaximumPC!, and they did a great job of explaining how to build a rig.

Just thought I'd post here as there's often posts about building your own..

IGF

2. Glocker424

Glocker424

3. Rec4LMS

Rec4LMS

Thank you for pointing this magazine out. This magazine was at the back of the rack at Barnes & Noble, so I wouldn't have seen the article if I hadn't been looking for MaximumPC specifically. It answered some of my questions on building, however it also brought up a lot more. Which in a sense is good. The more questions I have, the more I will learn.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

There's another magazine out there somewhere called PCUpgrade, another very good one.

What questions do you still have?

IGF

5. Rec4LMS

Rec4LMS

Right now, I am trying to figure out what components can match with other components. I have read that certain motherboards won't work with certain processors or memory, and other warnings in that vein. (IE: From page 40 of MaximumPC, it states that Opteron won't work with Quad FX motherboards.) I am looking at taking up to 6+ months to build this computer, just so that I can spread the cost out. Therefore, I do not want to end up with equipment that I can not return because I have had it out two months past the restocking date. I've been trying to search for a website where I could look at the equipment and decide what I want, but I haven't found quite what I've been looking for yet.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

http://www.tigerdirect.com
    http://www.newegg.com

Search for whatever product you want, then look at the "specifications' of said product. TD is usually fairly thorough in explaining the product, Not real sure about Newegg, but I imagine it is also.

Thats tough stretching components out as far as you plan to, because like you said, once you start assembly, you're probably SOL if something doesn't work.

I'd probably get the Motherboard/Processor/Memory last, but have a general idea of what motherboard you want. This will dictate wether you end up with either a Sata or IDE hard drive. Wether you need AGP or PCI Express Graphics card, if you don't plan to use the onboard sound that most boards have, what type of soundcard you can use(usually PCI), what type of power supply, etc.

IGF

7. JamesMGMDP

JamesMGMDP Druid, Reformed