For those that carry...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SIUC4, Feb 25, 2010.

1. SIUC4

SIUC4 Glockness

In my stupid state ( IL ) there is not a Conceal Carry law. I got to talking to some fellow gunowners at the range today, all of whom are recent college grads like myself, and we were trying to figure out scenario's where it would justify actaully drawing your weapon in a situation while you were out in public carrying...Other than the extreme obvious situations such as someone tries to carjack you, we were all in disagreement about several situations...I am curious of what the guys that carry everyday have to say?

2. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

Pulling your weapon should only be an option when you are all out of other options.

3. kiole

kiole

When I was met with deadly force and feared for my life...I think it's one of those you'll know when to draw kinda things. Also I would draw in order to save others lives depending on the circumstances.

4. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Here, we have a strong castle law that extends from our homes to our vehicles, and basically have the right to use deadly force to protect our lives, so here's the short version:

1) If you enter someone's house uninvited = bang
    2) If you attempt to enter someone's vehicle or steal (carjack) = bang
    3) If you threaten anyone with any weapon or try to inflict serious bodily injury = bang
    4) If you attempt a forcible felony (i.e. rape someone, etc) = bang

It varies from state to state, but it all boils down to you have to be in fear for your life.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  5. k-lo

k-lo

i saw this neat graph somewhere

[​IMG]

6. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

In KY they take that "fear for your life" and add on "...or seriously bodily harm." I definitely agree with the "all other options have been exhausted" statement, unless it's 3AM and someone just broke in your house.

7. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

WWEBMD?

What Would Epic Beard Man Do?

8. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Yeah, serious bodily harm is in there too...as well it should be, since it can result in death.

9. Carolina Drifter

Carolina Drifter CLM

Same here in SC. Castle Doctrine is a good law. :wavey:

10. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

I would definitely check your local state laws, but many states include a provision for defending the life of another. (i.e. the story about the grocery store where the older man shot a crazy ex-husband(?) who came to work and started stabbing his wife.)

11. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

I'd say any situation where you feel in an imminent danger of death or great bodily injury. That would apply to the defense of another for the same scenario, however without a special relationship, there is no duty to protect another.

However, I can easily see in such a gun-friendly state convicting you on the illegal carrying of a firearm if even if the DA decides not to prosecute on the actual use if it resulted in a death or injury to the attacker.

12. armorplated

armorplated

It's not just "When can/should you draw?" It's also how you behave during and immediately after.

It's not unheard of for punks to intimidate a CCWr into drawing, but to then report him for "brandishing a firearm."

Not only should the CCWr be in fear of his life/bodily safety, but should call the police as soon as possible to report the event.

The whole thing should make a CCWr very reluctant to draw his weapon.

13. silentpoet

silentpoet

Fear for your life or a forcible felony, such as rape or arson(under some circumstances). You need to be able to articulate a reasonable fear for your life.

14. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

I forget to add, but here (and in many other states) you can use lethal force on behalf of someone else to save their life. Things like them getting robbed at gunpoint, knifepoint, beaten to within an inch of their life, or raped...all of the forcible felonies. Basically, if the other person is in a position to use lethal force but does not have a firearm, you can use yours to stop the criminal and save the victim.

15. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

If you're going to use your firearm on behalf of someone else, you better make darn sure it's the real deal. The example they gave us in class in KY was someone could point a very real looking air pistol at you, and you're fully justified in using deadly force, even though it turned out not to be a real gun. As the situation was presented to you, you didn't have to find out, because you truly believed you were about to be shot. Take that very scenario, only replace yourself with someone else, and you shoot the guy with the air pistol, still believing it was a real gun. Now you're guilty of murder...in KY anyway.

16. SIUC4

SIUC4 Glockness

I do not see there being any difference, self-defense and self-defense of another...If someone pointed an air gun at you and said that they were going to kill you and you shot them, or if someone pointed that same ait gun at your son/wife/gf, said they were going to kill them, and you shoot them...that is still self defense...

17. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

You pull your weapon when you are intent on firing it at a person.

I pulled mine last year (posted the story here) and the fact that the other guy changed what he was doing in the half second it took me to get my pistol out and bring it on target meant that I didn't pull the trigger. But I was planning to fire as soon as the barrel was pointed at my target (man in a car heading towards us) but right as I was drawing he changed directions so I didn't fire.

18. SIUC4

SIUC4 Glockness

hey Weiser 878 can you put a link up? I was I couldnt find it on the search