For those of you who don't have good cell phone reception

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zombie Surgeon, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Zombie Surgeon

Zombie Surgeon MODELATOR

I just finished installing a cell phone signal booster in my home. I am not affiliated with the manufacturer and I am not making any money by recommending this device. I just want to help brothers who live in rural areas or in buildings and struggle very poor cell phone reception.

The device is not cheap at $370; but after reading negative or so-so reviews for similar products made by other companies (priced in the range of $150-$250) I decided to go with the most expensive one that also had the best reviews.

Here is the link to the Amazon.com product page:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electronics-Adjustable-In-building-Directional/dp/B003NQ2GSW/"]Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics DB Pro 65 dB Adjustable Gain 800/1900MHz In-building Wireless Smart Technology IITM Signal Booster Kit with Directional Wide Band Yagi and Panel Antenna for Home or Office.: Cell Phones & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41CyJzH5V0L[/ame]

And here is my product review:

Just a final observation: this cell phone signal booster will not work if you live in an area with no signal at all. In order to amplify the signal the booster antenna needs to pick it up first, as weak as it may be. If there is no signal at all, it will not have anything to amplify.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I got Verizon's unit for $199. It uses an ethernet port and gives me 100% crystal-clear coverage.

3. ryanm

ryanm

Wilson has an excellent reputation. I've been considering one for the house.

4. Zombie Surgeon

Zombie Surgeon MODELATOR

I know Verizon and ATT have signal booster devices for sale. Unfortunately Sprint, TMobile and pre-paid cell phone companies like Metro PCS, Virgin and Boost Mobile do not.
    Does yours have an external reception antenna?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  5. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

It does.

My only gripe -- if I lose internet for whatever reason (or lose power), I gotta walk about 200 yards to use the phone. :)

6. Zombie Surgeon

Zombie Surgeon MODELATOR

Get it. It's worth every penny.

7. HollywoodG23

HollywoodG23

I work in west Virginia and I have a Wilson electronics mobile booster in my work truck...I was hugely skeptical but that thing works great here!!! Can go from no signal to multiple bars at flip of a switch...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. railfancwb

railfancwb

I put one in when I moved to my present rural home. Don't remember the brand... It seemed to help at the time. Another closer tower was put in the area later so I don't know if my booster is still helping.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

That's b/c it doesn't send your call over the air but via the interwebs.

I've got the AT&T version at work. I dislike it. Have thoguth of spending the $ to get one of tehse things in my office. Don't want to spend the $370 tho. :(

10. Willfulone

Willfulone CCA Corvette

If you have Sprint...

Call customer service and pitch a beitchh

They will send you an "airrave" for free.

The thing is, if you don't send it back when
    your contract it up, you get dinged $150...

Works like a charm, went from having 1 bar ( indoors) on sunny days ( no bars on bad weather days) to full strength
    all the time...

Will

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

OP - does this have an internal or external antenna? Cant use anything with external antennas. in an office building.

12. OGW

OGW SAF

I use this:

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/store/display/152/0/13-dbi-gain-800-mhz-yagi-antenna

and this:

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/store/display/150/52/dual-band-panel-antenna

and this:

www.wilsonelectronics.com/store/display/17/45/ag-soho-60

I'm in a deadspot between towers and this setup gives me five bars of 4G on my phone. The outdoor Yagi antenna has to be pointed at the nearest tower using the dB meter on your smartphone when hooked up to it. It's a little of a pain in the ass to set up, but you only do it once. I also use my phone as a wi-fi hotspot, so it's my high speed internet as well.

ETA: You can shop around and get better prices than Wilson's preferred vendors offer. Amazon is a start, but there are others that discount these items.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  13. Zombie Surgeon

Zombie Surgeon MODELATOR

External. Go to their website, I believe they have some products with internal antenna.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Just ordered from amazon. $374, no shipping.

15. RGbiker

RGbiker

Until last week I had Sprint. For months I endured poor reception, dropped calls, etc. They sent me a booster which had to be connected to Internet.......after I told them I don't have Internet at home. I sent it back.

So, I dropped Sprint with it's $60 @ month bill and bought a pay-as-you-go phone. I now have AT&T with poor reception, dropped calls, etc.

But now, I only pay around $20 a month for poor reception.

16. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I have Verizon. No need for cell phone boosters. Really, I have traveled with a number of friends who ended up using my phone when theirs would not get a signal.

17. countrygun

countrygun

That's what we had to do. We tried two big name phones and got terrible reception. Now we have a pay as you go and it is actually a little less sucky and a lot cheaper.

Will these units work with those pre-paid units?

18. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Could be a number of reasons, but your phone nor Verizon are not bending the the laws of Physics. :)

19. RGbiker

RGbiker

Pre paid phone plans have their own cellphones. A few basic units and some smart phones.

Tracfone, which I have is a LG 840G, which is factory set up to give me triple minutes on the air time card I purchase.

IE: $20 card is for 60 minutes, phone gives me 3X60 minutes.

Cards can be bought at Walmart, Best Buy or from Tracfone.......however purchase thru Tracfone will incur extra surcharges, such as 911 fee, etc.

Boost is said to be best. Tracfone not quite the best.

There a pre pay phone review site on the internet for you to check out.