Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
NRA Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was selling a relic weapon from WW II that also has ties to VietNam. The rifle is from WW II. I have paperwork for it from S. VietNam.

The rifle is in good condition and shoots.

The first time I listed it for sale on GunBroker, I got several email queries. They all wanted to see the documentation. I provided them with PDFs. Although the rifle had several watchers, no one bid.

Now I am relisting the same rifle at a lower price. Again, I am getting requests for copies of the Nam era paperwork. This time I'm not giving the papers out. The paperwork is authentic and goes with the rifle.

Not being a collector, I don't see the value in the paperwork. Is it like guys who buy cars for their titles so they can attach them to a different vehicle to improve its resale?

This weapon is bolt action and is not on any restricted list. What's the angle on these document requests?

·
Registered
15,550 Posts
Are you selling it as a C&R? Are they wanting to have it shipped to them without going through a FFL?

Maybe they want confirmation that is in fact classified as a C&R?

Or maybe they are just into historical firearms and want to make sure the papwerwork appears authentic. There are lots of good sellers on GB, but there are some shady ones also. They may just be being careful to authenticate your claims.

·
20,261 Posts
Bolt action.... Is it an 03A3 Springfield, a 1917 Enfield, or what? After World War II, the M1917 went out of front-line duty. But the rifle continued to serve as a sniper rifle during the Korean War, and limited numbers saw service at the early stages of the Viet Nam war.

The Springfields were used by the Navy as anti mine rifles in Viet Nam. And M1903A4 sniper rifles were used by the USMC early in the war, replaced by the M40

·
NRA Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you selling it as a C&R? Are they wanting to have it shipped to them without going through a FFL?

Maybe they want confirmation that is in fact classified as a C&R?

Or maybe they are just into historical firearms and want to make sure the papwerwork appears authentic. There are lots of good sellers on GB, but there are some shady ones also. They may just be being careful to authenticate your claims.
I uploaded pics to GB clearly showing "1938" and Nazi markings on the barrel and receiver. It is obvious it classifies as a C&R.

·
NRA Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bolt action.... Is it an 03A3 Springfield, a 1917 Enfield, or what? After World War II, the M1917 went out of front-line duty. But the rifle continued to serve as a sniper rifle during the Korean War, and limited numbers saw service at the early stages of the Viet Nam war.

The Springfields were used by the Navy as anti mine rifles in Viet Nam. And M1903A4 sniper rifles were used by the USMC early in the war, replaced by the M40
I sold a Springfield previously. I answered a lot more questions then. Those were about markings on the stock, etc. It was all about the rifle. This time, no questions at all about the rifle. They just want copies of the paperwork.

·
NRA Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems like you’re being intentionally extremely vague.
More info required.
It is a Mauser.

Take a look. Here is the item # from GB..862601582

·
Know-It-All
2,529 Posts
There is a lot of fakery around WW2 German weaponry and you are tying it to Vietnam as well. I assume your pricing (no, I didn't go to GunBroker myself to look) reflects both histories. Anyone who WASN'T very careful with something like that would qualify as a fool IMO. I wouldn't get upset about it - if you want it sold you'll just have to go along and wait for the right buyer.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The paperwork may well be worth more than the gun, especially to a collector.

The rifle, not so much. It looks like its been "cleaned up" and modified, and really isnt a "relic" or even a "bring back" type gun. Im not really seeing any collector value in it.

Reactions: MtnBiker

·
NRA Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The paperwork may well be worth more than the gun, especially to a collector.

The rifle, not so much. It looks like its been "cleaned up" and modified, and really isnt a "relic" or even a "bring back" type gun. Im not really seeing any collector value in it.
Thanks for looking at it. It's been taking up space in a gun safe. I'd just as soon sell it. I think I priced it pretty reasonably. I thought the paperwork would just be an added sales incentive.

If it doesn't sell this time, I think I'll keep the paperwork and just sell the rifle. Maybe I'll sell the papers separately or just keep them as part of "family history".

I appreciate your feedback!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
It looks like it would be a decent "shooter", as long as the barrel is OK. I probably wouldnt go $550 for it myself, but I dont think youre too far out of line.

The "collectors" are usually looking for a "correct gun", even if its got wear on it, as long as its "honest" wear. Thats usually where people go wrong when they try to sell off old guns (and accessories) they find around the house. Sprucing them up is generally not a good thing there, and will often destroy the value.

·
NRA Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Surprisingly the barrel is good. I don't think it's seen much service. I still recall my Dad cutting the string that bound the cloth it was wrapped in. It took him a while to clean off all the cosmolene.

I can't vouch for the rifle before 1970, but it's been sitting unused in a gun safe since then.

It's unfortunate that at one point, he got a wild hair and decided to improve the stock. I blame it on cabin fever and Michigan winters. :)

You're right. With the stock mods, it's a shooter.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I dont think you should separate the paperwork from the rifle. The requests to see it are likely from collectors trying to verify the war trophy story, as that makes it more valuable and interesting.
In any case if it's originally a Russian capture, it'll have mismatched numbers. There's still value but $550 is pushing it with the stock mods. With an interesting backstory maybe. So if you're serious about the sale I'd recommend including more and better lit pictures, and show a picture of the documents.

·
NRA Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont think you should separate the paperwork from the rifle. The requests to see it are likely from collectors trying to verify the war trophy story, as that makes it more valuable and interesting.
In any case if it's originally a Russian capture, it'll have mismatched numbers. There's still value but $550 is pushing it with the stock mods. With an interesting backstory maybe. So if you're serious about the sale I'd recommend including more and better lit pictures, and show a picture of the documents.
Funny you mentioned the SN.

I didn't notice this, but the gunsmith I took it to for assessment did. The SNs are mismatched.

Why does that indicate a Russian capture?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Funny you mentioned the SN.

I didn't notice this, but the gunsmith I took it to for assessment did. The SNs are mismatched.

Why does that indicate a Russian capture?
The Red Army took in millions of K98s at wars end. They pulled them apart and inspected each component for serviceability, and then reassembled them... with not a care in the world about matching original serial numbers.
A totally mismatched K98k will usually be a RC. And a RC will almost always be mismatched. Also almost always missing the cleaning rod and front sight hood.

·
NRA Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Red Army took in millions of K98s at wars end. They pulled them apart and inspected each component for serviceability, and then reassembled them... with not a care in the world about matching original serial numbers.
A totally mismatched K98k will usually be a RC. And a RC will almost always be mismatched. Also almost always missing the cleaning rod and front sight hood.
Right on all counts!!
Mismatched SNs, missing cleaning rod & front sight hood.

·
NRA Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've no doubt you have a RC. What would be tell tale is a lack of import mark...which would lend much credence to the backstory.
Every time I sell one of my Dad's old rifles, I get schooled. I looked it up to see what import marks are. I see none on the Mauser, but I guess the pics I posted are too dark to clearly see.

Thanks for pointing this out. When I get a little time, I'll improve the pics on GunBroker.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts