GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
The underscore is silent
5,212 Posts
Nice... I sold my last JK a month ago and already miss having a Jeep. Will buy another when Jeep season is over and the prices come back down. Either a basic LJ or step up to the JL... they are so civilized and drive so well. My JKU had 2.5 in lift and 35s and the usual bumper/wheel/suspension upgrades and it drove great.. would like to go back to a 2 door and maybe 37’s.

Your work looks great and now you get to enjoy it. Nice job.

·
Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)
2,806 Posts
That's a very nice build! You chose wisely on the Teraflex lift. I've been wrestling with what to do with my '16 JKUR Hard Rock. It's mostly stock at this point, just upgraded shocks, winch, lights and bigger brakes. Living in the Tidewater area of VA, just haven't had the need for a lift/tires. That will change when I retire and move back to UT in a couple of years. That said, I will probably get my younger brother to sell me his current Jeep he just built. He's obsessed with 'wheeling in Southern UT and has built half a dozen or so. I think he enjoys building them as much as wheeling and I know he'll give me a good deal. He works at Teraflex, so...
View attachment 833578 View attachment 833580
Very sexy, sir. I don't think new ones are worth the price their asking, but I want one in my life...top of the list for the next vehicle.

All the cool kids getting 6" lift-kits nowadays? Those 40s speak to me, too. Between rims, tires, and all the fixings, man...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Very sexy, sir. I don't think new ones are worth the price their asking, but I want one in my life...top of the list for the next vehicle.

All the cool kids getting 6" lift-kits nowadays? Those 40s speak to me, too. Between rims, tires, and all the fixings, man...
Yeah, apparently its best to just jump into the deep end and spend the big $$$$$'s upfront. Cheaper in the long run than doing it incrementally. Buy once - cry once.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Aren't the "Rubicon" factory package for Jeeps good? It has been a while (long while) since I've followed vehicle developments, but I've heard the Rubicon option makes for a pretty good off road vehicle.

Reactions: redneck ron

·
Displaced Hillbilly
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Aren't the "Rubicon" factory package for Jeeps good? It has been a while (long while) since I've followed vehicle developments, but I've heard the Rubicon option makes for a pretty good off road vehicle.
Yes, unless you plan on doing mostly difficult rock crawling and running 40” tires or bigger and changing axles, then you are better off buying the base model and tearing into it.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Rubicon has Dana 44s and front and rear lockers. You can get into some serious trouble with that. Maybe a little bigger tire and you’re set for most things. I had one but sold it for a more highway friendly ride. I’ll get another someday.

·
Registered
662 Posts
for those of you running big tires, what gears are you swapping to? Seen way too many bubbas put huge tires on these and I ask the what gearing they went to and get the "Huh?" look.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Rubicon's are expensive but by the time you mod up a sport. You usually exceed the rubicon price and have a less capable jeep. I'm in the market for a t j the problem is they are all old high mile and people think they have gold.

·
Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)
2,806 Posts
....somewhat related, my son sent me a link to 'how jeeps are made' this morning, so thought I would share. :)

So between tires, rims, lift-kit alone, we're looking at roughly $5K + the cost of the Jeep? And with, say, stock 4:10 gears, I shouldn't go larger than 35s?!? And another $2K to bump gears up to 4.88? (I was using this nice table as a guide...)

3_6-jkgearing.jpg

·
Pinky Out
58,477 Posts
Rubicon has Dana 44s and front and rear lockers. You can get into some serious trouble with that. Maybe a little bigger tire and you’re set for most things. I had one but sold it for a more highway friendly ride. I’ll get another someday.
I remember that thread.

·
Registered
15,183 Posts
Rubicon's are expensive but by the time you mod up a sport. You usually exceed the rubicon price and have a less capable jeep. I'm in the market for a t j the problem is they are all old high mile and people think they have gold.
100% on all points.

·
Custom Title Goes Here
1,144 Posts
I don't trust any man whose garage is that clean.

J/K, all is very nice, and I think those model Jeeps are what an H2 Hummer should have been. If I had my druthers, I'd have one in that maroon/brandywine color they offer.

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Yes, unless you plan on doing mostly difficult rock crawling and running 40” tires or bigger and changing axles, then you are better off buying the base model and tearing into it.
I agree. If you plan on going 40s or bigger and swapping in 1 ton axles, get a stock Jeep and build it up. Anything less than that, get a Rubicon, 2.5" of lift and some 35s and you can go damn near anywhere you want. The Rubicon 4:1 transfer case and lockers are worth the cost of the upgrade in most cases.

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
for those of you running big tires, what gears are you swapping to? Seen way too many bubbas put huge tires on these and I ask the what gearing they went to and get the "Huh?" look.
I'm running 35s on stock 4.10 gears and it's fine, but I also have the 6 speed manual with a low first gear and I still run stock 32" tires in the winter and spring. If I had an auto and planned on staying at 35" tires I'd upgrade to 4.56 gears. I plan to stop daily driving it next year and will jump up to 37s and likely go with 4.88 or 5.13 gears at that point.

Reactions: redneck ron

·
Registered
662 Posts
Harldane - thank you!! Just what I was looking for. Wife's Jeep is a daily driver and auto, been going back and forth about doing something to it or not.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts