close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

For the Cops, reason why this dude is still free?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by razageorge, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razageorge

razageorge

2. AA#5

AA#5

I heard there was some sort of altercation that became physical. The shooter also had a CCW.

3. Calico Jack

Calico Jack NO QUARTER

Neighborhood Watch "Captain"?

I never knew that the neighborhood watch crews had their own ranks.

It sounds like the "Captain" was in the wrong for approaching the "suspicious" male and trying to play officer.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  4. Mister_Beefy

Mister_Beefy Legal & Proper

when you don't treat the police, or in this case the figure of perceived authority, with the politeness and respect they feel they are due, they tend to get upset.

5. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Based on the article, it is impossible to answer the OP's question.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. razageorge

razageorge

Hmmm, armed guy who has no authority approaching a kid minding his own business, shoots and kills him.

Maybe it went like: "WTF are you doing around here kid!?"-
    "ef, you, I dont have to tell you crap!"-
    "oh yeah, I'm the neighborhood watch Captain who flunked out at being a real cop so now I prowl the streets of a gated community like a vigilante looking for justice!"
    "uhh, okay, I'm going home fool!"
    "no youre not, bam!-"

7. rockapede

rockapede

That's a laugh. If I shot everybody that was disrespectful or even downright hateful to me on the job, I'd be able to line up the bodies from here to New York.

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

From the story, the neighborhood watch guy is made to seem like a nut who shot a kid for being black...

...then you realize the story is just 98% a reprint of what the kid's family says.

My first reaction is to suspect the neighborhood watch guy is a mall ninja nutcase, based on the fact that he's a "neighborhood watch captain" and he apparently did shoot an unarmed guy.

On the other hand, I can't find a GT username that looks like "George Zimmerman" and that story is so poorly investigated and reported, I'm tempted to think there is some BSing going on.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You waste your time even responding to him.

10. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

In another article it stated the block captain was bleeding from the head due to injuries. Most likely the case will be sent to a grand jury to determine what to do. You have a person with obvious injuries who says he was forced to shoot the other person in order to protect himself, so it'll be referred to the prosecutor for him to put it in front of a grand jury for them to decide if there is enough information to press charges against him.

Here's another link with more details:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...watch-leader/2012/03/08/gIQAPkJSzR_story.html

11. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Oh man, so now I'm wondering what other "gist" to this story didn't we get initially?

12. frank4570

frank4570

It sounds to me like the confrontation ended up in a fistfight. I kind of doubt you can shoot somebody for that. But maybe he can make a good argument that he was scared. I don't know.
    This is exactly the kind of situation that scares me the most.

13. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Head injuries is the key. If the kid was trying to knock him out or hitting him in the head it can be considered a deadly force situation. Notice I said CAN and not is. Laws vary as do requirements for use of force.

14. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

I worked with a news crew covering this event and watched the raw tapes of the interview with the Chief of Police. All the questions were like "why is the man not arrested", "when are you going to charge him", "was he obligated to obey the 911 dispatcher and back off", "is it true that the victim was not armed", and so on. Not a single question about the altercation, the shooter's injuries, the location of the shooting... The only possible conclusion viewers can draw from this is "wannabe cop confronted and killed a young child".

15. rockapede

rockapede

Meh, not really. I kind of get a kick out of it.

16. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

Good example of how media has so much control over society. OP has already let his emotions take over and decided a verdict based on a news article that has only one side of the story.

17. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Here's my legal analysis:

- Florida has Castle Doctrine.
    - This is (by choice) a gated community.
    - by common consensus of the gated community members, he is elected as the block Captain.
    - This happened within the gated community.

So he is (should be) legally protected by colour of Florida's Castle Doctrine.

18. Jon_R

Jon_R

FL Law allows use of force to include deadly force if a "reasonable" person would be in fear of death or great bodily harm. You have no duty to retreat. If the shooting is justified you are immune from civil issues.

If the person using the force instigated then it is a problem for that person. If the person using the force instigated the situation but the person that has the force used on them significantly increases the situation then it is less of an issue. Meaning IF the "Captain" questioned the person then the person attacked him even though the captain instigated the other person greatly increased the violence of the situation and deadly force might be justified.

What happened here I have no idea. He is not in jail as the police did not feel they have sufficient grounds to arrest him for a crime. The state or district attorney may determine otherwise and order him arrested.

19. lwt210

lwt210

This.

It's a time honored GNG tradition.

A grand jury will determine if charges are warranted......and most likely the prosecutor will present the case to them......with all the facts....instead of what the media reports.

I won't hate on you too much OP. Before getting into LE I didn't realize how wrong the media got most things. After a few years in, I realized that they rarely got anything right.

Be interesting to see the outcome.

20. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Robert Plant says, "Whole lotta fail, duhduhduh, duhduhduh, duhduhduh."

Please don't refer to him as a Watch Captain. He's not. He's a dingdong who has attained the fabricated rank of "captain" of neighborhood watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.