For people with Glocks and 1911's

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Aeroscoper, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Aeroscoper

Aeroscoper

I recently purchased my first 1911, a Kimber RaptorII. Pretty gun got it at a good price. Anywho, for those with Glock experience and 1911, which would you think would be more sensitive to limpwristing?

Just curious what you guys thought.

2. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

I haven't experienced such a problem, but if there were to be a problem with limp-wristing, I'd expect it to go to the gun with the lighter-weight frame.

Of course, recoil spring rates probably have an effect on this as well. Ammo would also be a consideration.

3. jonathon

jonathon Bowtie Freak

Glocks are much easier.. not sure why either. All I know is I can hold my Colt loosely in my weak hand and it'll function, but my Glocks 17 and 21 will both choke.

4. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

and here's why. The Kimber is fitted with a match grade barrel, and all around has tighter tolerances than do Glocks. Generally when you have tighter tolerances, there is little room for mistakes or errors. If you can throw a gun in the mud and leave it for a month, bring it out, and it will fire, you probally have room for shooter error, bad ammo, dirty chamber, you get the point! On the other hand have tight tolerances, and any of the above mentioned scenarios may cause a hangup.

5. auto45

auto45

The lighter frame with more "flex" will cause more problems with "limp-wristing"...without a doubt.

6. Aeroscoper

Aeroscoper

Cool...was hoping that was the case. Have yet to have a failure with any of my Glocks so shouldn't have to alter my grip with the 1911 styles!

7. Aeroscoper

Aeroscoper

That was my initial guess for same reasons, but was wonderin' what you all thought. Seems most disagree though...

8. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

You have to think about the physics behind "limp-wristing".

Given the same ammo, will a heavier steel frame resist the forces of recoil more than a light polymer frame?

I tried intentionally limp wristing both my Glocks and my 1911's, and was unable to get either to fail. My Keltec is the only one in which I've been able to intentionally cause a failure by limp-wristing it.

Have you tried intentionally limp wristing your Kimber yet? The results may be interesting.

9. GlockRik

GlockRik

I don't have a problem with limp wristing, however I do have a problem with not engageing the grip safety on my 1911, usually when the timer is running. This really throws me off and I'm working on it. It has a lot to do with the shape of my hand and using a high thump hold. Also using the thumb on safety hold on my 1911, I have to be careful not to ride the slide lock on my Glock.
    Best,
    Rik

10. Aeroscoper

Aeroscoper

I've intentionally attempted to limp wrist all my Glocks and even my P3AT, and have never been able to. I"m right about 100 rounds with my Kimber and have had 2 FTF's. Haven't decided if it's the mag, the "break-in" period, or just a nature of 1911's.

11. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly

I have fired thousands of rounds out of my Kimber Pro Carry and Glock 19 and have never had a failure out of either.

Experience tells me nothing.....

12. Aeroscoper

Aeroscoper

Thanks for that....

13. G23.40

G23.40 NRA Member

I don't have problem with them both either, I've shot thousands of round thru my Kimber Compact and thousands of round thru my G23, holding them loose or tight, they just keeps on going, my Keltec P9 is another story though.

14. Aeroscoper

Aeroscoper

Do the Kimber carry pistols and my RaptorII have same type of barrels? I'm wondering if as a previous poster mentioned, the tight tolerances of some match barrels may need a bit of breaking in.

BTW, 100 rounds at the range today, zero failures. After about 400 more perfect feeds I"ll be come confident with it.

15. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

I shoot 1911s better than my Glock.

16. Aeroscoper

Aeroscoper

So far...groups are much better with the Kimber...I'm talking ragged holes @ 10 yards.

Double-taps and fast strings are better with my Glocks, but shooting those for 10 years may have something to do with that. ;)

17. MP1SG

MP1SG

I don't speak with a listhp or limp wrist, I am far to manly for this to occur. I wear Old Spice too. :tongueout: