close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Food shows--what's good, bad and ugly

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by moeman, Jul 12, 2004.

1. moeman

moeman

After, seeing a couple other Food TV threads I'll start this one regarding what's worth watching. Give you opinion, here's mine:

The Frug had the best food show ever. I loved how he taught about various cultures and gave a background to appreciate other nationalities and why they ate what they did (do).

I really enjoyed being exposed to recipes not watch every dang thing it takes to cook something. I don't need to watch a burger cooking on a grill ever again.

His gems like "Hot pan, cool oil and food won't stick" gave me easy words to teach others the same thing. He also was smart in building upon skills and recipes from previous shows instead of trying to being cute saying "add E.V.O.O. ; extra virgin olive oil" and telling us what E.V.O.O. stands for every single time-- we get it after hearing it a few times--O.K. Rachel? And Alton, less gimicks you smart enough without the annoying junk thrown in..

Next best to the Frug is Jaques Pepin, the dude could completely bone a chicken in a couple of minutes (leaving it whole for stuffing). That's more than more advanced than the "wannnabees" will ever do...Jaques is still on PBS and worth watching hi cook books are good too.

I like America's test kitchen they get down to the nitty gritty and aren't afraid of saying what brand names are good or suck. For example, they'll never get any financial grants from Hunts Tomato Paste.

Iron Chef is cool, its going to be interesting how the American series will fare after the first four episodes. However, American palettes will be very hard for the hard core Japanese (or other ethnic chefs). They had a guy who was judging, an actor from the Sopranos, who didn't even like sushi and he's judging a Japanese chef--what's up with that???

Now, for the big boy, Emeril. I like him a lot, probably a great guy to hang out with, fun personality. But it seems like its Emeril Network not food network too much of him. I think he'd make a great series if he traved to other countries and mixed it up with the natives; he has the right personalilty to make such a show a smash.

2. 23skidoo

23skidoo Deceased

I've eaten in Emeril's restaurants before, and it isn't hype. He's a great cook. My favorite cooking show is "Good Eats" though. I think Alton Brown is the closest thing to Jeff Smith (The Frugal Gourmet) on the tube now. I like Emeril in that he has a lot of Jeff Smith's attitudes towards recipe's. They are a starting point, not the end all, except for baking.

Jeff

3. porciniman

porciniman

Being a chef, I watch many of the shows that are currently running.
    I find they all have a little to add to my knowledge base.
    I like the Great Chef series, and Epicurious.
    Vb

4. rick458

rick458 USS Texas BB-35

I Like Good Eats with Alton Brown, And I really like A Cooks Tour with Anthony Bourdain, he writes a mean book as well.
    Tyler Florence's Ultimate is very good as well.

5. General Sherman

General Sherman

Porciniman,

I too like the Frugal Gourmet and have many tapes of his shows on VHS somewhere in my big basement.

I learned loads from him and his books.

I also liked the Great Chefs series and Epicurious.
    I even added a few comments to the "All You Do Is Wine" section.
    (I am big into wine and am a judge at the Atlanta Wine Summit).

6. porciniman

porciniman

A judge at the Atlanta Wine Summit!!!!!
    Very Cool!
    So General G T Sherman, did ya learn about any good BBQ on your rush to Atlanta?!! LOL!

I hope we can exchange goooooood food and wine ideas, as I sit here eating my Abruzzese sausage and chabata bread.
    Cheers, Vb

7. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

I always likes the Frugal Gourmet and have a couple of his books. His pumpkin soup and peanut soup are staples in our house in the autumn.

I like that short blonde cute woman on the food network - I forget her name now. But she has taught me a few tricks in the kitchen!

I'm the cook here. As a teacher, I'm home more than my wife, so dinner is usually prepared for her when she gets home. Love to cook!

8. porciniman

porciniman

Lucky woman to have you cook for her.
    Vb

9. nickg

nickg

we ate at emeril's in orlando a few years ago. absolutely frikkin' tremendous. wow!!! :drool:

10. nickg

nickg

ditto here. unfortunately i don't always have the time to try out some new recipes. plus in the summer time the last thing i want to do is be tied up in the kitchen. but i definitely like trying new things and spoiling my wife. :) :)

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

That is Sara Moulton. Having met her at a book signing, all I can say is that she is tiney-tiny! Itty bitty!

I am 5'6" and felt like a giant peering down on top of her ;g

12. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

[​IMG]

I like her shows. She's pretty fiesty, straight forward and her stuff is good. She looks like she'd be only about 5 foot even.

13. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

I think she's lucky...I haven't asked her if she thinks she's lucky!

;f

14. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

Good Eats with Alton! I have both his books so far.

Cooking Outdoors with Justin Wilson, just too funny for words. "Naw Imagonna put in a leetle peench of cay anne." [dumps in half a box] "Now thats a pinch!"

Rachael Ray - a cook who really heats up the kitchen!! ^c ***link removed***

Edited by MissKitty5077 to remove link.

15. nickg

nickg

"do you want that wrapped?"

"no thanks, i'll eat it here!!"

:drool: :drool:

*Edited by MissKitty5077 to remove link.*

16. okie

okie GT Mayor

I to like the Frugal Gourmet. I also like Malto Mario, and Nick Stellino:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

17. KHAviator

KHAviator

Alton Brown Rocks

Emeril is much maligned. He is a great chef. Eating at his signature operation was one of the great meals of my life and he gets kids interested in real food, which alone is worth a life time achievement award.

Bobby Flay sucks. He is all flash and no substance.

18. ProfMoriarty

ProfMoriarty

Rachael Ray's "30 Minute Meals" and "How I Visit a Strange Town, Eat, and Still Manage to Pour a Couple Drinks Down My Throat for 40 Bucks a Day."

"Food 911"

"Molto Mario"

and the king of them all, the "IRON CHEF"!.... "I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so..."

19. W Turner

W Turner

Alton Brown

Nigella Lawson- ya know that hot British chick that seems to like raw food way too much.

Emeril

Bobby Flay is overrated, so is that guy Steven Raichlen(sp?) that does all of the grilling.

Bull

20. lonewolf01

lonewolf01

Bobby Flay seems to have an ego as big as this country.