food for a diabetic

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by 97guns, Oct 10, 2005.

1. 97guns

97guns

my father is borderline. he doesnt shoot insuline but takes pills, tests his blood daily and his suger levels take pretty big swings. just wondering what some foods are that he can eat without making his sugar levels swing big. tia

2. noway

noway

That's a hard question and it depends on the diabetic. My 2.5yrs old goddaughter was just diagnose Type-1 and she is going thru a night mare with watching carbs abd calories and such.

What I would suggest, coming from a non-diabetic but with a family history full of them, to eat your normal foods and test your sugar levels before and 1-2hour after and monitor your proggession. You can also speak to nutrientist that handles diabetics for more suggestions. Every person is unique and they handle insulin production different.

Since you father is using insulin pills, I would assume he's a type II and shouldn't be that worst off, but you need to monitor you food intake and sugar levels. It's nothing to play around with and you need to stay on top of it to avoid other probems.

as a side note: The American diabetes society , has some good literature and suggestion and I would 100% contact them for guidance and help if you haven't already contacted them.

3. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

4. Dr. Slots

Dr. Slots

I am a diabetic and also started out on pills, and am now on insulin.

One thing that I found that made a difference in my numbers was how much fatty food I had consumed. It seriously impedes the ability of the insulin (or pills) to do it's job, and would cause a huge jump in my glucose numbers.

As had been suggested it would be a good idea to monitor what foods he eats and then test. This should give some idea as to what foods that either need to be limited, or restricted.

Another thing I would recommend is going to the local book store and go to the cook book section. There will usually be several shelves of books on diabetic cooking.

It would also be worth checking out the American Diabetes Association. They publish a monthly magazine that also has recipes. They also have a nice selection of cook books. www.diabetes.org

Hope this helps.
    Mike

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Check out some of the low-carb cookbooks such as the ones following Atkins or South Beach.